Reborn but Worse (Artists that reformed into worse bands)

Koichi 2.0
aka. Lin ​(abstracts, ex Nocturnal Bloodlust, if you can account it as ex, accounting that he was only 5month with them)

He went from this

and this

To this

Metalcore guitarist gone rapper, kind off.
For his solo stuff, i dont think its really bad, its just shocking and not my taste (he has some songs on spotify that i enjoy a bit more)
abstracts are not disbanded thankfully, and released a song this year, so he didnt cut ties completely towards that scene. click here if anyone want to listen to abstracts last release

am i controversial now if i say i like razor?
they make good filler music, if you want to listen music but are not sure what. :sweat_smile:

no one has mentioned them till now

D’espairsRay into The Microhead4n’'s and Angelo
i mean, they seem to be fine in their bands and stayed with them , but yeah its kinda frustrating what happend to those members. Thankfully we have Hizumi with NUL now.

And last but not least
I do think a lot is personal taste/bias when bandmember change bands and sound if you still like them or not.

1 Like

queen of downgrade:

3 Likes

Also like the older songs more but I don’t think they changed. The band never had any “style”, just playing what was popular. In the 2000’s it was harder music, then kpop came around and they went with it.
Same happened with Girugamesh around that Zecchou Bang single, the only difference is that they were forced by their label.

It seems to me that la sadie has enough material to compare it with Dir en Grey… It reminds me of people who like the GazettE more with yune than with kai

Purely imo but…

From this

To this

Kei, why

5 Likes

D’espairsRay bassist and drummer devolving into Micro 4 Heads:

D’espairsRay

The Micro Head 4n’s

11 Likes

the moran slander in this thread has been noted x

4 Likes

Gossip turning into Nicolas. I’m glad they still perform some Gossip era stuff but I have zero interest in anything they dropped after the name change.

2 Likes

Is that a reformation though? The guys were all in different bands prior.

For me, it’s definitely VersaillesJupiter (everyone except the vocalist) when I think of this category. It’s like they sucked any originality or unique factor out of the former band, only to save the most basic power metal clichés onto the latter one.

I might also mention aimGALEYD (again, everyone except the vocalist), but it’d be a bit unfair to compare aim’s one single next to GALEYD’s more sizeable discography, lol. In any case, those two aim songs beat any GALEYD track for me at the end of the day.

8 Likes

I can’t believe no one brought this up but 3 members of Megaromania, one of the best bands to come out of UCP, transitioning to a Kisaki band should’ve been a fever dream…but it wasn’t.

Megaromania

to

Lin (second period)

The coming of the second period of Lin was more of a wet fart in comparison to their predecessors, as their discography was mostly remakes and rerecordings of said predecessors, followed by a quick hiatus + disbandment as a result. As for their actual original material, it was more like filler than anything, and Sui and Mizaly didn’t have that spark that they once did with Metis Gretel and Megaromania, now that Kisaki had the reigns. It was also clearly Kisaki’s last ditch effort to remain relevant in the changing world of visual kei as he would later recycle his 20+ year old previous band Mirage after Lin finally dissolved.

As for Megaromania, although they weren’t as big as Vidoll, 12012, and Phantasmagoria, they were one of the top bands of Under Code Production, one of the most legendary visual kei labels of all time, especially in the latter half of the label’s lifespan. Upgrading the kotekei fairytale sound of Metis Gretel to a melodic metal sound catapulted the band into indie greatness as they would be compared to the likes of Versailles, the leading visual kei band at the time, and helped establish the tanbi-kei sound as it is today.

To say that the remaining active members weren’t given a chance would be an understatement. With how huge Lin was after the disbandment of Phantasmagoria, it was a complete shock when the first lineup all ditched Kisaki, and yet Kisaki vowed to continue the band anyway. And continue he did, with the addition of Sui, Mizaly, and Yushi, plus Cero from the short-lived Tatsuya-led band zechs. Compared to the previous lineup, it was a total letdown for diehards as the excellent compositions from the previous lineup were remade for no purpose other than profit, followed by a lackluster group of scraps composed by the second lineup, all summing up a forgettable last run by one of visual kei’s infamous personalities.

I also wanted to bring up David, as it’s more recent, plus it’s Sui’s solo project and technically Mizaly did some support work for a bit.

David

All 3 artists are good, and Sui is clearly giving his all to David, but without Mizaly’s compositions and guitar work, again, they don’t really have that spark that Megaromania did. Most of David’s discography isn’t as memorable as Megaromania’s, and their discography is more of a mess of consecutive singles all later released into one EP and confusingly limited releases while Megaromania stayed consistent (with the help of a certain label of course) with banger album after album. As the visual kei landscape is currently leaning towards a harsher death metal sound, even attempting black metal at some points, David tries to adapt to that, but is staying safe to remain faithful to the melodic sound that Megaromania had, but the songs end up all sounding the same most of the time. With David going on hiatus after 5 years of activity, it’s no wonder that the project and Lin were behind the times, and both were unable to live up to the hype of Megaromania.

2 Likes

31 posts in and no one’s mentioned the tragedy of Lycaon → Initial’L?

It’s almost all the same members too…

9 Likes

and Breakin Holiday lol

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t mind Breakin’ Holiday. Mostly due to the vocals and some catchy songs, I guess.

So you’re saying they’re worth giving a chance? The very naming process felt so lame that I stopped following.

Eh, kinda.
I mostly listen to these two songs:

Not sure if you gonna like the album itself tho.

If it’s all like this nope. My point stays.

Y’all might not wanna read this :

malice mizer to gackts solo and whatever the others did music wise

4 Likes

Oh boy this one was painful lol
If they ever reform as another band I hope it is something more akin to early Lycaon

I don’t think they ever composed/released any music after their bassist left.

I had so much hope after moonlight down visuals did all that, and literally one (indie!! still indie!! fml) single later they went down the drain. it’s about time some of them surfaced back again too…