Rides In ReVellion - THE LIGHT

This is the very first album by my favourite visual kei band Rides In ReVellion, released in 2017.

All you need to know:

• Unmatchingly catchy melodies with compositions that follow the “royal road” chord progression.
  • Stunning vocals, super meaningful lyrics.
  • Band concept: “Mixing the future & past with sadistic, sorrowful, sentimental sounds
  • This album is primarily symphonic rock & power metal.

1. Outbreak
Introduction track. Sounds as if telecoms are underway, & a meetup for outbreak is occurring.

2. NEVER VANISHING BULLET HOLE
Starts the album off strong with vibrant guitar riffs and a chorus right away. This song begins the album’s recurring theme of rebelling through difficulties.

Highlights

• (1:50) Super interesting drumwork with the sudden stops and playing around the vocals.
  • (3:08) This 30 second guitar solo is possibly the most impressive across the whole album. Such a speedy solo, with a sugary tint to the guitar’s sound.

3. -273.15°C
The only song not composed by the guitarist, but the bassist! This song is romantic, describing the experience of having a frozen heart due to one’s lover, yet striving to thaw both of them into happiness.

Highlights
Excels at chorus buildup.

• (0:46) Cool usage of backing vocals in-between lead vocals. The lead vocals then lock fully in sync with the drums, right down to the syllables! Then bangs into the 1st chorus.
  • (2:12) / (3:37) Even more chorus buildup gasm-inducing sections, utilizing symphonics.
  • (3:49 / 3:56) Final chorus omits all instruments for half a second at moments like this, just to slam them back in for an extra surge of power. It feels so satisfying.

4. JIHAD
Heaviest song on the album, yet still so melodically pleasing. Continues the trend of strongly persevering through difficulty; in this case mockery of one’s beliefs.

Highlights

• (1:07) / (2:20) Vocals satisfyingly lock fully in sync with the bursting drums, to lead into this song’s hype choruses.
  • (2:53) A rising guitar solo. It sounds even better live, as the vocalist lets out angelic-cries with the guitar.
    Then, the song transitions into clearly exotic musical influences with female chants in the background, as the vocalist starts deeply talking, instead of singing.
  • (3:49) Excellent vocal solo. It just sounds so hollow yet full of deepness at the same time. It’s such a unique experience to segue into the final chorus.

5. Sense
A song about the discovery of one’s biggest passion, & feeling the euphoria in it. In the singer’s case, his singing career.

Highlights

• (1:11) / (2:31) Euphoric falsettos in every chorus.
  • (4:27) The final chorus has this HUGE extension compared to the previous ones. It sounds so blessed that you just want it to go on forever, wishing the extended singing never ends.

6. カレタソレイユ (Withered Sun)
This is RIR’s signature song. It is a film-like piece about an amnesiac person trying very hard, for so long to remember who they had shared a sunset with in the past. It portrays their experience vividly & their emotions so deeply, all throughout.

There are subtle hints of this important person’s identity throughout the song, such as quiet heartbeat sfx next to the sun rays, and their separation having occurred at dusk.

Until finally, a twist takes place at the very end (4:36):

Highlights

In this scenery where only you are not here...
Day by Day
I finally realized
That the sun has...
Always been you!
Two of us at the promised place, once again...
I wiped away my tears, and called out your name
---
  • It’s extremely cute, and even dorky. But I don’t care. The moment I grasped the lyrics, I INSTANTLY knew in my heart this is my favorite, FAVORITE band. Only one who can write the sweetest song known to man like this is deserving of that.
    Do yourself a favor and read the full lyrics of this mini-movie, please…:sob:
    Karetasoleil | Rides In ReVellion Lyrics, Meaning & Videos

7. BLAZING HEART
Meanwhile, is an awesome power metal song inspired by X JAPAN’s “DAHLIA” that starts off like:

My heart is always exposed to raging winds
All I can do is stand here, covered in scars, alone.

They write SUCH different songs, right?? But due to the nature of visual kei, it all naturally comes together without feeling forced; & I love the variety. Despite their band name, RIR’s songs can go from the most emo sounding music, to being the biggest cuteballs…:face_holding_back_tears:

8. MIRAGE
Weakest of the album, it’s moreso a live-song focused on hyping the audience. It has a heavy tone that showcases more scream vocals.

9. Rosé
The 1st song RIR ever made, and the 3rd version of it that exists. It has a dark romantic worldview of someone longing to see their ex again.

Highlights

• Very alluring & elongated bridge-sections that keep you looking so forward to the choruses.
  • In each chorus, certain words are given a myriad of backing vocals, which feels sublime.
  • (3:05) This guitar solo pleasantly mimics the vocals melody.
  • (4:10) Sugary guitar galore!

10. Twilight
Tranquil piano piece, to draw the album to a close. It takes a symphonic turn after the halfway mark.

Thank you to anyone for making it to the end. I would be so happy if anyone else can appreciate this #1 visual kei album of mine! You may also find it on streaming here: Spotify

6 Likes

I really enjoyed the review, and it’s inspired me to add it to my library and give it a go this week!

1 Like

That’s wonderful, so glad I can make others see “the light”! May it be an experience you will thoroughly enjoy :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like