Show your setup/battlestation

Previous Threads:

We had one of these threads on MH a while back for Hi-fi setups, but it mainly resembled a battlestation thread. Just finished assembling & painting the DIY headphone rack on the right-hand side today, so I’m happy how it turned out.

2019:
Untitled-Panorama1

Today:

3 Likes

I used to have the worst and most cramped setup at my old place around 2016. I don’t think I even have a full picture of it. It took a lot of sleuthing to track down the first rig:

Yes, that was the whole width of the desk. I had 11 inches of mouse space and a 19 inch screen and a rocking chair for somewhere to sit. Eventually I upgraded to a BenQ 24" and it barely fit. But it was a start.

First GPU was an R9 280. Excellent space heater, average graphics card even for it’s time.

The more I look for pictures, the more I realized I never took a pic of the whole setup because the room was so tiny that it was impossible to get everything in frame. I had so little room to work with that the tower would not fit under the desk, so I had to move the TV, flip this on it’s side, and then put the TV on top so everything could fit. Those were the days…this was after I gave the R9 to my friend and upgraded to the 1080.

2019:

Now:

I had the back light for both the screen and the speakers on for better illumination, but usually they are off. I find RGB obnoxious when it’s flashing, so I just stick to one color at a time. The speakers themselves are Logitech G560. These things are absolutely terrible out of the box because they are tuned to stand out in a loud and crowded store. They probably sound great under those conditions because the background noise muffles all the imperfections. Bring this bad boy home and suddenly you find you can’t go over 10 in the Windows volume or the desk will shake and neighbors will complain. No joke. I had enough when I was on turntable with a few guys and I was playing “Bright Red Season” by Thousand Leaves and the song just wouldn’t stop clipping and I knew it was the speakers, not the track itself. I had to install EqualizerAPO and set the gain on the preamp down by 20dB before I even started messing with EQ bands just so that I could adjust the volume. The Logitech GHUB software is also trash and I recommend installing it, making sure a few settings are not checked, and then literally never touching it or updating it until you have to. It’s so unstable. But once you tame these speakers and bring out their best qualities…man these things can rival stuff 30-40% more expensive and it doesn’t require additional equipment or knowledge beyond basic equalization. Good hardware crippled by terrible software and business decisions.

Ultrawide is life - some people swear by two screens but I’m a no bezel boy. I’d rather have one continuous screen and move windows around as I need - after all the operating system is called Windows. I think 34 inch ultrawide is the sweet spot for gaming and general usage - my friend has a 49 inch ultra wide and that’s insane even for me.

If you look behind the screen you’ll see about $1000 in headphones. I’ve given some away since 2019 but I still have (from left to right) the Steelseries Arctis 7, Corsair VOID, HyperX Cloud Flight (stay away this model is trash) and Sennheiser HD 600. Out of frame hanging off the side of the vinyl stand are my Hifiman HE 400’s. Gave the 518’s to a friend as a present because I needed to get rid of some. Might throw out the HyperX’s because they buzz every so often when they’re on and it’s annoying.

Still running the same equipment as circa 2017 - 8th gen Intel 8700k, 1080ti GPU, and the last thing I added was the Corsair AIO so my rig would be quieter. I replaced my motherboard so technically it’s new but it’s the exact same model (Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, more of a note for future me when I inevitably forget) because the one I bought to replace it (some ASUS model) was DOA. It’s not top of the line anymore but it doesn’t have to be to crush literally any game I throw at it that I care to play - and right now that’s zero so the statement is still true. The newest hardware doesn’t impress me enough with performance for me to warrant an entire rebuild and up until recently the prices were super unreasonable for any part I wanted.

The red axe is an Epiphone SG. The acoustic is a Takamine S35 from 2004 in perfect condition because it sat untouched in an attic for 15 years. All it needed was new strings. I read online old guitars sound better because the wood dries out and becomes more resonant. I had doubts until I played a bit with it and it sounded out of this world. It’s only $150 and all I did was give it new strings! It has no rights sounding as good as it does. Where the bag is is where I would put my Ibanez RG…IF I HAD IT BY NOW! :frowning: It should ship soon though.

5 Likes

Keyboard not included.
Yes you Can play solitaire on it.

2 Likes

this is my sad setup
It’s a Lenovo somethingorother with both alt keys and the printscreen button not working (idk why either), despite that though, it’s not too bad for music production or light gaming, 8th gen core i5 U with an integrated uhd 620.

All I’ve done to it is add a new samsung ssd and bought a mouse cus the trackpad is near unusable.

The wiring is NOT great.

This is literally all I have apart from my phone so I’m not sure what I’ll do once I have to give it back to the school in July.

1 Like

Go go team lenovo
Mines almost 10 years old, replaced it my Sony vaio way back in 2015 or 2016 maybe it was 2014

1 Like

REPRESENT

funnily enough I did have a vaio way back then, all I remember is that it had windows vista and was pink.

I might get an Asus Dash F15 once I’m done with school and get my pay from military service.

I’m not very fond of gaming laptops like the Dash, especially the ones that highlight the WASD keys because gAmEr双方的خبز. But it has great specs and 3 usb slots, odd requirements but I just want more than 2.

Also I do have Lenovo wireless buds so I guess I’d still be representing in some way.

1 Like

Yeah wear the right colours or the governor collects bodies 'round here

Personally I bought it because it was cheap.

Man I can guess you’re from saudi, aint nobody here from irak? or misir?

1 Like

I don’t remember why I bought the vaio at the time, probably the same reason.
same case goes for lenovo products, I just buy them cus they’re cheaper while also being a recognizable brand.
and yeah I guess you’re kinda right, I’m from the UAE which neighbours saudi.
I doubt there are vkei fans from iraq or masr tbh.

1 Like

even people I never expected have stacked pc’s

I don’t know bout y’all pc’s are overrated, yeah sure you got those cool led lights with the thingamajiggys and the kagigerz with 20 screens you don’t use.

I bought my parents a ps3 back in 2009 got a copy of world at war, the only nazi zombies map they play is nacht der untöten splitscreen. Lmao the highest we went was like round 28.
I swear it went strong like 7 years before it started overheating when ever you boot it up and closed in on itself. My solution was simple buy another one, they put it in the window when it was winter.

2 Likes

man ps3s were the days, I had a similar issue with mine, Probably cus I couldn’t stop playing gran turismo 6

1 Like