Sigh new album "Shiki" release

Sigh will release their new album “Shiki” on 2022/08/26.

Tracklist:

1. Kuroi Inori
  2. Kuroi Kage
  3. Shoujahitsumetsu
  4. Shikabane
  5. Satsui - Geshi No Ato
  6. Fuyu Ga Kuru
  7. Shouku
  8. Kuroi Kagami
  9. Mayonaka No Kaii
  10. Touji No Asa

They also released an advance track, sounds pretty trippy and cool imo!

Finally, here’s some stuff from the official press text about the album:

‘Shiki’ marks the latest chapter in the Sigh legacy, and includes some of the band’s heaviest and darkest material for some years; a fine hybrid of at times primitive black metal akin to early influences such as Celtic Frost amid more epic melodic heavy metal riffing and solos. The album also utilises a whole host of instruments to give further texture and dynamics to the compositions and eerie atmosphere, incorporating traditional oriental instruments such as the Shakuhachi & Sinobue flutes.

The word “Shiki” itself has various meanings in Japanese such as four seasons, time to die, conducting an orchestra, ceremony, motivation, colour. The two primary themes for the album are “four seasons” and “time to die”.

The concept and artwork is based around a traditional Japanese poem, and on ‘Shiki’ Mirai explores how at this stage of life he himself is going through Autumn, with Winter coming soon, and so empathises with the contrasting sentimental feelings from watching cherry blossoms (a symbol of spring) in full bloom.

Joining Mirai and Dr Mikannibal for this release are Frédéric Leclercq of Kreator, plus US drummer extraordinaire, Mike Heller of Fear Factory, along with an appearance by longtime member Satoshi Fujinami on bass. ‘Shiki’ was recorded across multiple studios, and mixed and mastered by Lasse Lammert at LSD studios in Germany.

4 Likes

Let’s fucking gooooo

1 Like

Based on the artwork and the single, I anticipate this to sound like a more psychedelic, progressive counterpart to Graveward. And I love that album, despite what Mirai says.

1 Like

Woah, I remember really being into Sigh right about when Scenes from Hell was released. A true cult band, I’m glad Mirai is still alive and kicking!

The song is, as expected with a band that releases nothing but masterpieces, phenomenal. I also think the cover art is gorgeous (nice throwback to Infidel Art!), and the video is really nice.

I am surprised that neither Junichi Harashima or You Oshima seems to play on the album? Seems really odd to me. Not sure what lies behind this, but the album is gonna be amazing nonetheless.

Ordered both versions as soon as they were up for order. Can’t wait for this to be released.

Pre-ordered the green vinyl and a shirt. Can’t wait!

It seems like they’re going with more of a rotating guest musician lineup for this album, especially if it was recorded across multiple studios.

Looking at that I found this, and if I collected vinyl I’d order one. it’s too edgey and metal not to. Vinyl LP A Blaze In The Northern Sky Clear by Darkthrone : Peaceville Made from an ancient book and powdered goat horns.

Not that big a fan of Sigh for a long time, but love Scorn Defeat, and enjoyed In Somniphobia. One of the first interviews I ever did back in the day was with Mirai and we became friends and talked occasionally, but that was right after he got with Mika before she moved to be with him.