Steve Albini has passed away

The legendary producer Steve Albini has passed away at the age of 61.

11 Likes

This is an unbelievably brutal loss for music. His recording and producing methods/thought processes have made so many records great and unique, he really understood his job as the engineer. Most people have probably heard and liked an Albini produced song or album and don’t even know it as he has worked with thousands of musicians and never declined anyone besides two in his forty years in the industry.

Right after Reita, too. What a brutal year.

I recommend anyone who’s interested in audio engineering at all or just interested in general to watch his lectures, he’s really interesting and gives a unique perspective on music and production.

6 Likes

This… I just can’t. What a loss to underground/alternative music, and music in general!

Such a legend. R.I.P. man… :broken_heart: I’m blasting some old Big Black and Shellac tonight.

6 Likes

and a week ahead of Albini’s own band’s next record

I feel like rock artists should do what pop girlies have been doing for some time and just drop surprise albums at this point, this is a hella morbid time
he was not even that old and all sober, wtf

1 Like

I’m not familiar with a lot of the works he’s done as far as I know, but ‘In Utero’ is one of my favourites, he made that album sound the way Nirvana should have done, as opposed to what Butch Vig did on ‘Nevermind’.

Besides that, RIP king, thank you for all you gave us!

Albini helped shape the landscape of rock music with his production work and his own bands that he played in, and was one of the few ‘old man yelling at clouds’ people who’s cloud-yelling often had merit, both in his musical opinions and his ardent defense of socio-economic minorities

In so many ways, this is a massive hit to the rock and punk world. He will be sorely missed

2 Likes

So sad…
I mainly knew him for being producer of some Mono albums and many are their best ones.
The new one, Oath, maybe a nice farewell…

1 Like

wildly formative fella for me. going to miss his curmudgeonly-but-never-incorrect ass. big black and shellac absolutely rip but some of my favorite work of his was with low, the jesus lizard, pj harvey etc. HUGE loss.

Especially as a big MONO fan, this hits really hard. He was basically their 5th member.

1 Like