sukekiyo - EROSIO

First impressions after one listen: the first half is a little hit and miss with The Hole being the most notable highlight, the second half is very strong. Some songs meander a little too much and I’m sometimes missing climaxes, especially vocally but overall I think it’s one of their best works.

Highlights: The Hole, MOAN, グロス, 論外な生き物として, 変わってくれませんでしょうか?, 呼吸

The bluray is amazing btw, The Hole and zephyr made me tear up a little :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

This album takes its ADHD medication as the doctor prescribed while consistently making her little sibling INFINITUM eat dirt. And that’s really all I was asking for.

2 Likes

After a 6.5 hour car ride listening to the album, I’ve determined that my car soundsystem is NOT the best environment to give an album a first listen on.
That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the album on the first listen. Giving some songs a second listen today. I can say that Erosio didn’t have as strong of a first impression as Infinitum did for me. Yet, it’s definitely some of their best work.
(I get the sense on this board that folks didn’t like Infinitim as much, but it’s one of my top Sukekiyo albums. Oh well.)

I’m really glad I got the deluxe edition, because I love the two demo songs. Mysteryな is especially my jam. For the album, my highlights are definitely Gross and 呼吸. The later of which reminded me of Panta Rhei by 9Goats.
When it comes to the two songs on the album that were originally released as demos, I still perfer the demo. But that’s how I feel about everey single one of their songs they decide to re-record.
That said, Rongai had some suprises added to it that I really liked.

I’m really looking forward to watching the bluray when I get home next week and giving the whole album a listen on better headphones.

3 Likes

I agree, it’s one of their best but I have to say that it only truly clicked for me when I heard it performed live on LIQUEFACIO… same goes for the ADORATIO setlist on the INFINITUM bluray, both absolutely breathtaking sets.
…which makes me very curious for a future EROSIO live bluray!

3 Likes

That’s good to know, maybe I need to check out those lives. Adoratio has some tracks that I like but it didn’t click with me as an album. I should give it a fresh look.

1 Like

Gloss

1 Like

Hahaha auto correct fucked me again.

The tracks are amazing. It’s probably my favorite album. I like that it has less weirdness and the songs feel more refined.

I felt Kyo’s voice in half of the tracks was very worn though. Did anyone else notice that?

2 Likes

I’ve been feeling that about his voice for a couple of years, but mostly I’m surprised it hasn’t given out on him completely doing what he does for 25 or so years

Cant we get a review thread going instead guys?! :sunglasses:

1 Like

If you wanna make one.

I agree that it is remarkable he can still go so far after all he has done.

In this particular case I am talking about comparing his tone of voice with Petit Brabancon Automata. On Kodou or Miserable it’s clear he is well rested and it’s reflected in the vocals.

In this case it sounds like he recorded the album probably immediately after some tour either with Dir or Puchibra.

1 Like

Love the album
Kuchi ni ringo is so haunting

1 Like

How is it compared to their last album? Much more melodic in general?

Yes it’s more melodic, but still experimental and creative

I’ve been oddly silent on sukekiyo releases because up until now, I just couldn’t wrap my heads around them. A combination of 9GBO and ReS members with Kyo as the frontman should have been an easy slam dunk for me, but this is the first time I feel like a sukekiyo release is approachable. The shotgun approach to composition didn’t work for me, and as I felt compelled to sit through IMMORTALIS at least once in my life, I felt that Kyo was overdoing goblin mode back then. I don’t really think this band is made for that. EROSIO is better. Much better, more mature, more focused, the members are gelling as someone else said, 訪問者X feels like their Vinushka moment, just overall a very solid release. I’m paying attention now! Feel glad that I can finally understand what is arguably one of the most interesting bands visual kei has coughed up in the most recent years.

7 Likes

The production is just awful. Everything is so muffled and muddy, especially the more distorted guitars and harsh vocals. They straight up butchered Rongai. I’m legit depressed at how disappointed I am. Tbh I’ve been disappointed with the most recent releases of all 3 of Kyo’s bands. I kinda wish he’d just choose one and give it his all.

1 Like

That’s my biggest gripe with the album as well, there’s so little depth to it, especially in the lower end. Unfortunate but not a dealbreaker. VITIUM and ANIMA still sound the best to me.

1 Like

Wow, i read that same statement verbatim on reddit. Dude, you listened to a 320 rip. Listen to the album a bit. Yeah, some songs are a bit…shoddy (ahem Kuchi ni Ringo), but its a very solid release all over.

1 Like

People say the production is bad, is that really true?