the GazettE 20th anniversary best of album "HETERODOXY-DIVIDED 3 CONCEPTS-" release

I merged your topic with the existing one. No need to create a new topic.

This is an international Japanese rock forum, so please use the English language.

1 Like

Sure, excuse me.

1 Like

Well, I’m pleasantly surprised they acknowledge Goddess.

1 Like

Goddess is one of their best b-side period. actually, both Ugly and Undying has one (or two) of the more memorable b-sides. Goddess are good replacement for Lucy, and Malum and Vacant are a good fit to put inbetween Wasteland and Grudge, (i put Incubus after Grudge) don’t know why they opted for Quiet over Vacant though.

1 Like

Releasing the 20th anniversary live on BD/digitally would have made more sense

2 Likes

Seems a bit pointless to anyone who already has the discography which a lot of their fabs who would potentially buy this already do. Haha.

just once i wanna see a band do this concept but really fuck up the new masters - like so significantly different it’s a completely different song/album.

like imagine taking singles from 20 different years of recording/songwriting and rearranging/remixing them enough that they all have a coherent and targeted style

one of my favourite releases is actually a best-of compilation by ナイトメア; their speed-disk comps where i swear they fed the master into a brickwall comp - an objectively terrible decision but it’s focused & stylistic, i love it

i think The GazettE tried something like this w/ Traces 2, but it’d be nice to hear it done …well

3 Likes

but Trace 2 is a rerecord album, not just a simple remastering.

Also, about Trace 2, as much as i hate the production of the album (damn you uruha) i kinda like their attemps of filling the hole, like they did with DLN and reila and i also like the unexpected choice of songs like Ito (i don’t think they even played Ito live in 2017)
and kareuta. Both of these 2 songs come from their early years, even prior of 2005 which is baffling since we didn’t even get songs like Cockroach and Social riot Machines. (both is still staples of their live shows btw, and is also on the set of the spooky box 2/Lucy) but why’s TOXIC stuffs in these? i would prefer that they got rid of the Dim/TOXIC stuffs as they is the weakest part of the album. That’s right, i’ve kinda grown to like Nu Calm Envy and i wish we got Gentle Lie or Chizuru instead. and about Dim, with the exception of Dim Scene is also the weakest part of not just this album (it’s even worse here) but also the weakest tracks on the entire Dim album.

3 Likes

heterowhat?

2 Likes

Very valid points made with Kare Uta and Ito.

1 Like

imagine losing the rights to half of your best songs

tomomi still has their souls in a safe

6 Likes

The 20th has been on rotation on WOWOW so probably isn’t coming out this year.

Heterodoxy is just continuing the trend with religious terms, DOGMA (a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.), Mass (church service), hell even all the way back to Heresy (belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.)) which is almost the definition of heterodoxy (deviation from accepted or orthodox standards or beliefs.)

4 Likes

Didn‘t MASS have to do with just gathering? I think I‘ve seen that in an interview or something but I might recall this wrong. It also would explain to me why there‘s all the hints on their previous albums.

mass, the central act of worship of the Roman Catholic Church, which culminates in celebration of the sacrament of the Eucharist. I also saw that it’s a celebration.

3 Likes

I know, the word can mean that. I just think I‘ve seen the rest as an explanation for the album title by the band. But I might be wrong.

1 Like

It’s such a simple word that they probably mean both meanings at once.

1 Like

You’re probably right, like you said, gotta hunt down an interview from when the album was coming out and see what was said.

1 Like

I’ve looked at every interview I can find from 2021 with any member of the band (roughly seven if you include interviews with just Reita and Aoi and Aoi’s joint with HAKUEI etc) and this is all I’ve found that actually even remotely gives an actual concept to MASS.

KAI:"MASS"という単語自体が多くの意味を持っているものなので、これはその内の何かひとつの意味を表したタイトルというわけではないんですけど、"ひとつの塊"としての"MASS"という面はまずあるでしょうね。

Kai basically said that MASS has many meanings (always vague and leaving things up to interpretation and an air of mystery) including a MASS as in a mass of everything or everyone together. I’ve searched high and low and can’t find a reference to gathering or meeting or coming together. The only mention of gathering in any interview was in reference to them talking about them gathering as a band and how they tried to be creative in the recording process during covid but no one would use the dropbox they set up to upload songs nor attend ZOOM calls they tried to set up. Sounds like getting these guys together when they don’t have a studio to meet at is like herding cats.

1 Like

For all you international fans, JPU Records will be releasing this, it’s available for pre-order now:

5 Likes