THE NOVEMBERS

Yūsuke Kobayashi (小林祐介, born December 18, 1985) – vocals, guitar, keyboards (DECAYS, THE SPELLBOUND)

Hirofumi Takamatsu (高松浩史, born November 19, 1985) – (PETIT BRABANCON)

Kengo Matsumoto (ケンゴマツモト, born June 1983) – guitar, keyboards

Ryousuke Yoshiki (吉木諒祐, born November 1, 1985) – drums

BIO

A preceding band was first formed in 2002 by Kobayashi Yusuke and Takamatsu Hirofumi.[3] Subsequently, the preceding band disbanded in 2005, and “The Novembers” was officially formed in March 2005 with Kobayashi and Takamatsu joined first by drummer Yoshiki Ryousuke in August 2005, before its current lineup solidified in October 2005 with the arrival of Matsumoto Kengo.[4]
The band released two demo albums in 2006 before making its indie debut on UK Project’s Daizawa Record with the release of their album, The Novembers in November, 2007.[5]

They launched their independent label MERZ in October 2013 and also played a variety of Japanese festivals, such as appearing at the Red Marquee stage at the Fuji Rock Festival in 2014.

In October 2015 they joined forces with a renowned producer Masami Tsuchiya (Blankey Jet City, GLAY) and released their fifth EP, Elegance. The band celebrated their 11th anniversary (its significance highlighted by their namesake) by inviting an array of guests such as Boris, Klan Aileen, MONO, Roth Bart Baron, Art-School, Burgh, acid android, Takkyu Ishino, and The Birthday to their self-produced event series named “KUBI”, as well as releasing their sixth album, Hallelujah, becoming the first Japanese artist to release on the MAGNIPH / Hostess joint label. The subsequent album release tour culminated in 11th anniversary show on November 11 at Shinkiba STUDIO COAST in Tokyo. The TODAY EP was released in May 2018 and their latest album, ANGELS, arrived in March 2019.

They have also supported numerous international bands, including RIDE, Television, No Age, Mystery Jets, Wild Nothing, Thee Oh Sees, Dot Hacker, Astrobright and Yuck.

ALBUM

2008.06.04 - picnic

2010.03.10 - Misstopia

2011.08.03 - To (melt into)

2013.11.30 - zeitgeist

2014.10.15 - Rhapsody in beauty

2016.09.21 - Hallelujah

2019.03.13 - ANGELS

2020.05.16 - At The Beginning

2023.12.06 - The Novembers

EP

2007.11.07 - THE NOVEMBERS

2009.03.18 - paraphilia

2012.11.07 - GIFT

2013.05.15 - Fourth wall

2015.10.07 - Elegance

2018.05.16 - TODAY

SINGLE

2011.08.03 - (Two) into holy

2014.05.14 - 今日も生きたね

2020.05.20 - Rainbow

MVs
LINKS

OHP
instagram
twitter
facebook
bandcamp
youtube

8 Likes

What are everyone’s thoughts on the new album!?!?

A very interesting album! It has a very aquatic feel to it, also quite nostalgic in an amorphous, dreamy way. It’s able to breathe and develop, but remains precise in its focus throughout, which is great for a longer piece of work to achieve! There’s a lot of variety between the songs to choose from, but overall remains balanced during an uninterrupted listen. It has some interesting little quirks, especially that subtle (maybe perceived :sweat_smile:) sarcasm to the vocals in BOY and 誰も知らない. かたちあるもの、ぼくらをたばねて is excellent for a nap (in the best way!), though the saxophone’s scratchiness seemed a little out of place in the otherwise smooth track. Cashmere is an instant favourite – the rhythm and bassline are excellent. I appreciate the subtle theming to GAME. James Dean reminded me of 88kasyo junrei at times :thinking:. Morning Sun is incredibly catchy – a certified earworm!
How did you find it?

2 Likes

I finally listened to it today. It feels very direct, to the point and it’s quite accesible for The Novembers standard. I think I could recommend this album to people that never heard this band before. It encompasses majority of the stuff they did before without leaning all the way in any direction.
I agree with Ezra that the sax on ぼくらをたばねて is kinda abrasive, it reminded me of their song Cradle which has another massively abrasive element in otherwise super chill song. I need to relisten to this album again to remember exactly how each song sounded. I can say that I enjoyed all the songs on this album and especially the heavier ones especially because it felt like they evolved in that department
Very nice album

1 Like

Morning Sun is a freakin’ classic. I’m surprised at a few of the tracks, but I’m feeling it more than At The Beginning.

1 Like