Visual Kei and Neurodivergent Personalities

I’m curious how many people on this forum are neurodivergent, or believe that they may be neurodivergent.

For a while I wasn’t sure if I ever wanted to make a thread like this, just because I don’t know how some people would react to it. Neurodivergence is somewhat stigmatized around the world, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to talk about and understand.

I am a very very deep and passionate VK fan and singer. I run a YT channel with over 1200 visual kei uploads. I also happens to be on the autism spectrum (“high functioning”). There have been a couple times I’ve seen people mention autism in some relation to being a visual kei fan, and I see a few reasons why the music may be slightly more likely to appeal to us than the random foreign music fan.

Some of the factors I personally see that could be involved in the interplay between ASD and VK appreciation include:

• We are less likely to conform to social standards
  • We are less likely to be bothered by deviations, but instead more likely to embrace them and see them as fun, cool or interesting rather than uncanny or unpleasant
  • A relatively high prevalence of us are gender nonconforming
  • A relatively high prevalence of us are into Japanese products/music/culture (Please forgive me for this point as it’s very anecdotal)

For me personally, I found visual kei following the period of my life where I was deeply into post hardcore, metalcore and alt rock. Visual kei to me seemed to mesh together the overall vibe of these genres into something more unique and aesthetically pleasing.

VK encompasses many different genres within the same umbrella, and if I don’t want something hard and intense, I can go for a lovely soft ballad, or if I want something in-between I could easily find bands that combine the two, along with countless other bands with their own unique flavor, blend and style.

I kind of see music as shades of color. If I want something black I’ve got my metal bands, if I want something smooth and soothing, I’ve got my blue shades (Like the song Lapis by ClearVeil), if I want oldschool I’ve got some orange and green, or if I want oshare I’ve got pink, or with screaming pink and black etc but this part is irrelevant.

12 Likes

I’m also autistic and im kind of agender ?? i dont identify as any gender im just kind of… me. i simply exist…! so im definitely gender nonconforming (?) :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I stumble upon quite a lot of neurodivergent vk fans and it’s encouraging seeing them interact bc i struggle w it…
it’s nice meeting people with the same interests as me and at the same time we can also understand each other (??) because of our neurodivergence and the struggles it brings… (?)

i feel like visual kei and the community is generally really accepting so i kind of let my quirks do their thing. i’m definitely comfortable enough, at least in my circle; to be myself.
i love sharing music and talking about bands i like, and i’m glad there’s people willing to listen.

i could say more but im tired and i dont really remember what im replying to :sob:

6 Likes

This !!! Sometimes i dont want to listen to as heavy music and vk has EVERYTHING !! i can always find music that fits my mood. i usually love heavy music w gutturals and stuff but sometimes i just want to listen to something calm and still listen to VK !!

5 Likes

I think I’m neurodivergent for sure. Even in rock/metal circles people call me “that weird guy who likes korean dudes”. Feels a little bit lonely because I can’t discuss VK with anyone, people don’t like the visual aspect because “yo every dude in this band looks better than my gf, that’s just weird” and they don’t like the music as well because to them every VK song sounds like an anime opening. VK combines every aesthetic I love like goth/emo/hair metal, you name it. To me who likes goth rock, metalcore, electronic music etc VK has become the ultimate movement to be a part of. Still it’s sad to be misunderstood even among alternative people.

7 Likes

This is a nice comment too.

I feel the same that it sucks not being able to discuss VK with anyone. Even here it seems very few people share my taste in VK… I like 2000s bands. Back during the MH days it seemed like there were many more oldschool VK fans, and now I miss them.

I never understood the idea that visual kei bandmen look better than actual girls, and I honestly believe that very few VK musicians look nearly as ‘pretty’ as the average same age woman who puts a bare minimum of effort into her appearance – especially considering all the heavy makeup, lighting and angle shots used in those PVs and photoshoots which is nowhere near an accurate depiction of what these people look like walking down the street.

I think if anything they look beautiful in an androgynous way. “Bishonen” is a word I might have used to describe them in the past, like Final Fantasy characters or just male anime characters more broadly.

I feel the same regarding your last statements. I don’t know how so many people don’t see the appeal in visual kei. When I was simply exposed to it as a very young teen, I feel like that was a gift to my life that I can’t take for granted. People don’t see the value in music, and being a true music fan is almost a gift in itself as well.

The fact that a bunch of sounds produced by a small group of people can produce so much energy, bliss and euphoria without causing any harm whatsoever to the user is truly remarkable. Music can also serve as a great addition to a workout routine. It also helped me quite a bit with my self-esteem and can provide catharsis. Music is just wonderful.

7 Likes

Autistic + ADHD and bi+trans here so yeah this ticks a lot of boxes for me lmao

Idk if there’s anything about my neurotype or my queerness that draws me to this scene beyond Dir en Grey being a severe, multi-years long autistic hyperfixation for me (I literally have a spreadsheet of what formats I have each of their releases stored in :sweat_smile: I mean sure a lot of musicians in the scene ARE exactly my type for guys (androgynous twinks just GET me) but. Idk if there’s much to it beyond that for me??

4 Likes

Got diagnosed with high functioning autism at the age of 16. Most people think I’m also weird and awkward to be around. I also have a psychotic disorder and recently got tested for bipolar disorder. Visual Kei and Jfashion always appealed to me in the sense that I know other people around world experience similar things to me. Plus it fits with my colourful sense of fashion.

3 Likes

I have a really fun & funky mix of ADHD + OCD + Bipolar. VK is probably my biggest long-term hyperfixation and has been ever since I was just a 10 year old fetus. I feel like my brain is mashed potatoes most of the time. I don’t know what else to write in this but I’m glad to see other neurodivergent people here.

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten diagnosed with anything (yet), but I believe I am neurodivergent because I align with a lot of the traits of Autism and ADHD. I’m really drawn to VKei as a genre because I really love how broad the music genre is and the fashion associated with it. A lot of it just reasons with me and makes me feel more comfortable expressing myself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This topic is rather a strange one for me personally because I believe myself to be partially neurodivergent but not fully. Rather hard to explain really.

In my opinion I believe a good handful of visual kei band members are considered neurodivergent due to some of the visual themes representative of a certain art form that has to do with their trauma or views on life etc… that aren’t generally accepted to the social norms of society. Visual kei genera itself even reflects this not being accepted in society during certain years in the past.

Most the interviews I’ve read on vkei bands are either about a special type of art form or theme that they felt was different or the general group themselves just wanted to be different from others within the genera or other bands. Of course I’m sure there are some band members that aren’t neurodivergent but I think a lot are but as far as mannerisms go it’s hard to really say unless your a person within the vkei scene or ex-band member who interacts with vkei band members on a regular basis.

For those who don’t know what neurodivergent is. Please visit below :point_down:

I’m AuDHD. Alongside with this there’s an anxiety disorder, OCD, dysthymia, complex trauma and PTSD. Also nonbinary and aroace. And maybe poly when it comes to the topic of QPRs even though that one is still pretty new to me yet.

When I got into VK in the middle of the 2000s it felt like I found my place to be. Music a tad even more appealing than what I liked so far, on top of that the visual aspect that perfectly met my preference for androgynous aspects. That didn’t change and I don’t expect it to ever do.

2 Likes