Visual Kei/ J-Rock locations in real life

Hi everyone

recently I’ve been thinking about creating some sort of a database of IRL locations of v系. I definitely do find some bits of information here and there, but have never seen anything like what I am thinking of.

Most of them would obviously be in Japan, so I guess it would be somewhat useful for people who want to visit, recreate a photoshoot etc., but I also thought it would be exciting to learn about places in our own countries. That could be a Chateau in France, where Malice Mizer filmed their movie, a store where Aoi bought a colourful top during the Gazette South American tour etc.

I started with the Gazette themed map in Japan, but also want to make a separate, international one.

the Gazette locations map

Would anyone like to contribute? I would love to know where Mad Marble Hell Vision or Sumire was filmed, as well as their other photoshoots, would love to add them to the map :sunny:

Would also love to create a list of places to shop irl, music and fashion stores etc., but currently the whole idea is so chaotic, I don’t even know where to start.

6 Likes

I don’t know if you’re looking for something like this, but here are two often seen MV locations in Vkei:

Oya History Museum - Subterranean Cave

Some MVs shot here:
Versailles - Philia
David - Messiah
Phantasmagoria - Material Pain
REVIVE - 『ゼアルマベラルミラ』
Diaura - FINALE
Jiluka - Ablaze
and many many more

Lockheart Castle

MV shot here, off the top of my head:
Megaromania - Aurora
Versailles - Aristocrat’s Symphony
ジグソウ (Jigsaw) - メリーゴーランド
Kaya - ROSE

And a new one, I remember because it was mentioned recently:
Ishikiri Sanmyaku

Virge - Mother was shot here, but also many non VK band MVs too

6 Likes

the references to some of those locations in the previous comment made me feel old T__T haha

If you are in Tokyo area it is a quick little trip off to go stand in front of the place where MALICE MIZER did Gekka no Yasoukyoku

Also a fun one is~ Any kind of desert themed pv or photoshoot is going to be Tottori prefectures Sand Dunes

For sea cliff videos I know some people from the past said they head out to Fukui prefecture for their cliffs.

3 Likes

DIR EN GREY:

Yurameki PV - Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio, Palermo, Italy
Akuro no oka - Temple of Hera, Selinus, Greece
dead tree - Somewhere in France (I think the exact location is known. IIRC it was a monastery, but can’t find any info anywhere)

3 Likes

Does anyone know where Sick2 filmed the Crazy Tokyo PV? I just saw a clip on twitter from an American show that was filmed in the same exact location.

Here is the twitter link: https://twitter.com/GIFSkullX/status/1755389407283069404?t=xJ26Bo1eJoCm2yFx8YcgOw&s=19

Edit: It’s the Robot Restaurant. Of course it’s the Robot Restaurant. No other place in Japan looks that fucked up.

2 Likes

You know that one church that so many VK/J-Rock bands have filmed a music video in? You know exactly the one I’m talking about: from Galneryus (Angel of Salvation), Elysion (Shuuen no Campanella), Jupiter (Last Moment), Femme Fatale (Judgment), Aldious (Dominator), Misaruka (Jester), Scarlet Valse (Heaven), Synk Yet (Messiah), Lovebites (Glory to the World), Mejibray (Avalon), Unlucky Morpheus (“M” Anthem) and probably many more that I don’t know of. So, where is it? Is it even a real location instead of just a set piece? Well, believe it or not, this church is very real, and it even has its own website. Here it is:

Surprise, surprise, it’s just a plain old wedding chapel in Yokohama! Who would have thought that for being such a common set piece for music videos, it has the most humble origins you can think of?

5 Likes