VK / Japanese inspired vocalists thread

This isn’t a thread for my personal vocal covers. I hope that’s allowed. I will probably make one about me once I have more complete covers.

Are there any other VK inspired singers? I feel like there are a good number of guitarists, but singers? screamers? I’m curious to know if there are any others out there. If you sing but don’t perform VK songs that’s okay too.

A few questions to keep this engaging:

1: What type of songs do you like to sing? How good would you say you are?
2: How long have you been singing? Do you ever sing publicly or only private?
3: What is your preferred vocal style? What techniques do you like to use? (Ex. Falsetto, vibrato, vocal fry etc)
4: What do you find the most difficult pertaining to singing in your style?
5: What does your recording setup look like?
6: Feel free to post something of yours for me to listen to!

1 Like

I think i’m this!

1- i know i’ve got a softer voice, so something quieter and slower is easier for me; if it’s a faster song i’ve written sometimes i’ll keep the melodies longer anyway for a bit of energy contrast. I think i’m… tolerable. better at singing than i am at vocal processing, i think that’s the main thing holding me back.

2- car karaokeing for like 15 years but only 3 years ago i felt up to recording anything to put out lol

3- i can’t sing without vibrato if i tried lmao, the vkei influence dug in too deep. i think hardtuned autotune has incredible value as a tool and mode of expression, i say it’s as important to me as a vocalist as an OD pedal is to me as a guitarist. plus i think it’s something not many artists in vkei do save for as a momentary effect on a track or a few; i like to think it’s a tool to be honest about my US bkg rather than imitating any style toooo closely. plus hardtune on a vkei style vibrato is just soooo tasty imho

4- the nonsense syllables i sing when improvising/sketching vocal melodies sound a lot more like japanese than english - there’s still for me a bit of a binning down process to get them to fit english’s more crunchy twisty syllabary. sometimes i’ll really like a lyric i’ve written but it’s just too angular to fit a melody i’ve sung… singing in english feels a bit like embroidering with barbed wire, but i guess that lends its own interesting qualities.

5- AKG 214 → Scarlett 8i6; on the effects side it’s EQ → Waves RVox comp → EQ → Antares Autotune EVO 5 → EQ → RC-20 → EQ → Valhalla Vintageverb / delay → EQ. lots of shaping lol

6- i’m really happy w/ my vocals on aurora borealis! tho interim lover is probably my actual favourite vocal performance of mine so far.

i like the questions tho, i hope more people respond bc i’m always looking to take the music production and songwriting side of the scene more seriously w/ people who know it well~

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess I would count me in too

1. Personally I don’t really have any type that I’m fixated on… I usually just try the songs that I really like. As for my skills… I’m not sure… When It comes to covering, I’d say I’m rather good, or maybe lets not say covering in general but rather giving back what I’ve learned by ear. As for composing my own vocallines, I’d say there is still alot of room to grow.

2. I started when I was around 16 I think, tho it took many years to consider myself “listenable”. So far I’ve only ever sang in private as there hasn’t been any occasion for more

3. Just like the user above I can’t go without vibrato, tho some people would say I’m rather making use of Tremolo. I don’t know, I never really cared about the theorethical stuff to be honest :sweat_smile: But I also sream occasionally in different styles

4. Hard to think about one spontaneously… But maybe higher notes as you automatically rather use a lower register when you’re Vk inspired- It also bugs me that I can’t use high pitched squeals or use fry on higher notes yet

5. Oh. Cheap as bitch stuff to be honest :joy: I use my phone to record since my laptop can’t handle it and a video editing program for… well, editing. As for my mic, I use a t.bone sc450. it does the job quite well

6. Due to mental health I still don’t have as much stuff out there as I would like to but did a NAMELESS cover not too long ago, which I think isn’t too bad. Plus I’m trying to get back on track again :melting_face:

But cool thread so far. I always love to find more singers/musicians in that scene!

1 Like