VK Visuals - Lets talk about outfits and make-up

We all know that visuals are important in Visual Kei, we can’t deny that, so i was wondering:
Do you all have some favorite outfits?
Favorite make up?
Are there any outfits you absolutly don’t like?
Are there any “OMG” outfits?
Do you like how VK fasion has changed over the years?
Lets talk about fasion and make up

14 Likes

PVC and/or leather all the way, baybeee

23 Likes

My biggest gripe with newer VK looks is the uniformity. The end up looking like a Power Rangers. Color coded

8 Likes

I prefer the more mid 2000s looks usually. Not too into the current trend in VK makeup. I apologise for this being image heavy! Hopefully it’s not too many, but I really wanted to show off some looks from the 00s

pocky2743

I especially love the darker aesthetics:

nega11qy7
neganewfq6

Horror-esque:
ansurouimg

occult

Suits are pretty much always great too!

For makeup, basically anything with heavy dark eyeshadow, those short thin pointy brows, smeared lipstick, more of a ‘goth’ or dark look.

Also basically anything with blood/darker aesthetic/those shorts with leggings attached by garters… :sweat_smile:

25 Likes

Also this, sooo good!

i think these are my top three!

16 Likes

I like this style of look. The army(?) hat
78906c2607924ccf52c56d84a608bc22582cdf2b_00

12 Likes

Still the best power rangers look :laughing:

9 Likes

…oh right, I almost forgot to mention: love a good shironuri makeup + simple dark clothes aesthetic!

the kings.

9 Likes

sorry in advance for the absolute shit ton i’m gonna add

For starters may i remark that D have some the most intricate costumes i’ve seen like damn. that shit must cost a bunch.

how could i neglect asagi as a three-tailed mermaid:

i definitely prefer older gazette looks:

classics:

personal favourite:
tumblr_pv0r2fgEl81qju6xho1_400

newer stuff i dig:
takashi’s looks:

this overall:

kyonosuke’s looks:

meto’s looks (the bear jumpsuits were pretty epic):

lanju/hotaruchan’s looks (i love the little bug motif going on and lanju’s makeup’s always like a sad fairy)

i admire the consistency to the roles yet slight differences in the looks/makeup each time:
artworks-000363354906-xpqcc5-t500x500

in general:

• white eyelashes :ok_hand: :ok_hand:
  • dresses. where i live literally no one wears dresses ever. so i friggin love seeing beautiful dresses/skirts
  • jojo’s glittery lipstick must be mentioned at some point so why not the end :wink:
20 Likes

QUEEN JOHANNES~~~~ RESPECT THE COCKPIT

Someone come get ur mans

I mean honestly I can’t think of anyone else doing anything similar, it’s so fun to see such unique, out-there shit that sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t but I respect that he takes the risks. He makes the headgear himself and posted about how he makes them on his insta, which I think is really cool. The level of detail on his outfits is awesome.

Personally, I hate the smudged/bruised lip look in general. I can’t help but think of a kid that ate grape jam or something or some cheap halloween makeup. Just go for a clean lip unless you’re gonna go full horror makeup.

21 Likes

I love iryou kei outfits becouse the combination of simple laboratory apron, most of the times covered with blood and the amazing visual kei hair is one of my favorites. Especially LuLu’s.

Soft visual too :kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand:

My favorite makeup is Atsushi Sakurai’s. Just a simple makeup that emphasizes his natural beauty.

Аnd even now in his fifties he looks gorgeous… I envy him (that sounds like I’m sixty years old grandma…)

2cabd9dac439867df809193f6c4c6a7e
I really don’t like Uruha’s pants that were showing his thighs.When I saw them for the first time I remembered one scene from a movie that name I can’t remember :sweat: The protagonist gave his pajamas to a woman, and the pajamas had a big hole for the ass.

“OMG”

“OMG”

“WTF”

I like the changes but the artists look like they’re cospleying :expressionless: when I look at older pictures of the bands from 90s/2000s I prefer that look.

17 Likes

URUHA’S CHAPS/GARTERS/THIGH SITUATIONS WERE PART OF MY SEXUAL AWAKENING LEAVE THEM ALONE :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

ID-Japan will always be the standard for costume creation with everything they did I think. Legendary company :heart:

3 Likes

I tend to like the uniform look on bands so whatever the Gallo is wearing and Gulu Gulu’s first look come to mind

THE_GALLOago2016

Loved this promo pic from Avelcain and always thought Karma’s eye patch and doll combo was iconic
CgUAMYKUUAA97Hr

All time favorite look has to be Gossip in their Tenjoutenge video cause I’m a fan of dictator kei

As for individual looks I always liked what Suica had going on with his hair

And if only we could go back to Retsu looking like this :sob:

11 Likes

Sho did some cool stuff already but this is still my favourite

I really love this image, they match so good also this torn clothes are great.
This image was my first profil picture here and I still love it.

10 Likes

Reminds me a lot of this:

I am also fan of old skewl aethetics

I guess I am generally a sucker for Kote kei make up and styling. Vividly colored hair, hard contrast make up, whiteface, pencil thin sharpie eyebrows, fake creases and lots of leather, PVC, crushed velvet and ripped stockings (used as shirts).

I second iryou kei. It’s a shame it’s not as popular as it used to be.

Speaking of best costumes… pretty much any look that Malice Mizer had made me go “wow”. The one I loved the most was from their Bara no Seidou era. Love the frilly costumes and the dark make up.

There are a few modern VK looks I like, but it’s mainly the costumes. I can’t stand most modern make-up looks. I don’t like how bandomen are conturing their faces (especially noses), how the lower lash line is often drawn several centimeters from the eye turning everyone into bug eyed creatures and I dislike how they accentuate their eyebags… not a fan of overdrawn lips either. Imo the early to 00s had good make up looks. It was often simple and minimalistic like the 90s, but more refined and cleaner and with actual blending, lol.

18 Likes

This one is the best of them all
Dir-en-Grey-all-jrock-and-visual-kei-28050743-640-480

13 Likes

Lately i’ve been obsessed with kaneto-juusei’s Litchi Hikari Club kind of style…

13 Likes

I wouldn’t call any of these my favourite VK looks, but if we’re talking makeup/styling, one thing I find kind of fascinating is looking at the different ways Loki/various stylists/makeup artists have tried to visually reduce the size of his forehead over the years.

11 Likes