What do you do for a living?

Hey! I was just curious what everyone here does for a living/majors in.

I teach English as an additional language/lingua franca. I have a background in Letras, the Brazilian equivalent of a Linguistics + Literature major (plus a bit of Latin and Greek). In Brazil you can study Portuguese + an additional language or just Portuguese, in which case you focus much more on Brazilian, European Portuguese and African Portuguese Literatures. I chose to study Portuguese and English and fell in love with Linguistics. Literature for me is for pleasure, not studying, although I enjoy using Literature as a means to teach English. My main areas of interest are English as a lingua franca, additional language acquisition and materials design, and hopefully Iā€™ll start teaching Portuguese as an additional language next year.

What about you all? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Senior Engineer in the gaming industry. I am slowly transitioning into a manager role though.

I majored in electronics engineering for my bachelors. As long as I am doing something with electronics or gaming, I am content with the job. I might take up a PMP certification down the line eventually even if my next position doesnā€™t really require.

2 Likes

I actually graduated as a all round DTP-er.
I do have various graphic design skills, so time to time I do help out visual kei bands for a low price, just because itā€™s fun.

After graduation I worked a year as a graphic designer, had to leave the job due a jealous collegeā€¦
Was a Neet for a few years (did do some short random jobs in the meanwhile). started to deliver newspapersā€¦ then I also added to deliver normal post also on two days.
I got tired of it, looked for a new design job, sadly I could only do it for about 6 months, company kind of was middle of a re-build, so I had to leaveā€¦ I started to deliver newspapers again, Corona did hitā€¦ I stopped to search for new jobs, then the company where I worked as a graphic designer after graduating looked for people working at the depot. Soā€¦ I gladly say yes and somehow I got hired.
So I work at their depot nowā€¦ company delivers to stationary stores? or whatever you call that in English. You know stores where you can buy stationary stuff and some small cute goodies.

Fun job.
But if I will do it for my lifetime, I donā€™t know yet.
I still love designing but my portfolio is too Japanese, because designing for well Japan :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cool! Management is not an area I think I would succeed in and I admire the people who have the skills. My sister is also in education and she managed a school for many years. Being responsible for a team is no easy job.

Freelance Graphic Designer. Every day is something new, I love it.

2 Likes

I googled ā€œDTP-erā€ and only found results in Dutch :stuck_out_tongue: But I guess I got the overall idea

So nice! What bands have you done work for?

I donā€™t really want to be in management either lol I just donā€™t want my team to be under an incompetent one which my office has had.

I am slowly trying to get a hang of it even if the corporate culture clashes with me personally.

1 Like

I have two professional degrees, seamstress and sterile processing technician.
Havenā€™t used either of them to get a job and have instead worked in retail the past 10 years. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Flip front and back and thatā€™s basically meā€¦ Actually, thatā€™s a lie, I use Google for everything, lmao. Thatā€™s par for the course, tbh.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a network engineer at a small ISP (think city-sized) and datacenter! Also called digital plumber heh
Specifically i deal with routing aka moving packets to and from the internet, monitor routes and make sure weā€™re using the best ones, set up new peerings with other ISPs, plan and conduct maintenance windows at night and help troubleshooting when shit hits the fan

3 Likes

Most people work in technology-related areas. Hahaha I feel kinda alone as the only educator around. Wait, @fefelipar is also one.

1 Like

I do hairdressing lol. Ever so slight change of tone from everyone else

2 Likes

Iā€˜ve been working in offices. Trained as a secretary originally but have been doing different office jobs though.
Iā€˜ve also been working in elementary schools teaching kids how to use a PC, mostly for school purposes (using the internet for research, using word-processing programs and stuff like this) because lots of teachers didnā€˜t even know themselves so they wouldnā€˜t know how to teach this to the kids (itā€˜s hilarious and embarrassing but gives a pretty good impression on how behind the school system in Germany is). But that was just on some volunteering level.
Then Iā€˜ve been undergoing some additional training as a medical typist because I wanted to work in offices still but not as a secretary, instead mainly focussing on typing. Did work in this field for a short period of time until my mental health got in the way (again).
By now Iā€˜m on RECP for a few years. If I ever get out of it again it most likely will be a typist job again but who knows.

1 Like

I work at naughty dog, worked on the enviroments in last of us 2. Quite many of the things you see in that game is made by me :smile:

6 Likes

Manual labor is just not cool anymore :neutral_face:

1 Like

I think itā€™s less about being cool and more that manual labour is usually not paid well - at least where I live you can barely get around as most of these jobs are slightly above minimum wage (and our country has high taxes on everything). So itā€™s usually a job poor foreigners or immigrants do.

Personally I work in graphics design as well. I am not exceptionally good at it, but I have a job with decent pay (considering that I work part-time and can get around finde each month) I am however thinking about learning programming and changing to a job in IT - there are way more jobs (and better pay) in a computer and tech job than design. Plus I am a bit tired of layouting the same stuff over and over.

1 Like

Sure it isnā€™t. But think something like 30 years ahead. Whoā€™s gonna grow food or sew clothes if everybody goes to work in high tech? Unfortunately itā€™s not the type of thing thatā€™s prioritized by the government of a ā€˜developedā€™ country (unless itā€™s some zany plankton or seaweed farm enterprise).

4 Likes

Iā€™m a student studying Audio Production. I work in my schoolā€™s electronic music lab as an assistant. Literally just sit at a desk for 4 hours and sign people in, occasionally try to help them with their work if they need it.

5 Likes

trust funds

1 Like

I work as a Spanish interpreter, can be stressful but sometimes thereā€™s a lot of funny calls here and there so it evens out :disappointed:

3 Likes