What do you guys listen to besides Visual Kei?

My mom is from New York City so she raised me on Broadway soundtracks, and I have a fully unironic love of Enya. Mix my love of metal with those first two, and it’s no wonder I adore Devin Townsend so much lmao
Learning guitar and bass as a kid, I cut my teeth on jazz and blues, so there’s a lot of that in my library. I have very fond memories of playing Miles Davis and Return To Forever tracks in my school’s jazz band, and I’ve seen BB King three times, one time with Little Richard and Al Green, another time with Buddy Guy, all times fantastic shows. That also leads in to some classic rock, though not necessarily as much. There’s a decent amount of electronic music I’m in to as well, I just discovered Justice’s album ‘†’ (usually just stylized as ‘Justice’ on streaming platforms for some reason) and I’m absolutely in LOVE with it. PLENTY of metal all around. Everything from Gojira to Deftones to Spiritbox to Sabbath. And growing up in Washington, D.C. I couldn’t really escape becoming a punk kid in some way or another. Decent amount of rap in there as well - my ex found and showed me Residente and Calle 13 when we were together, god DAMN is he good (same main guy, different projects). Summer camp in Texas gives me lots of nostalgia for some certain country songs, mostly older stuff but a few more “country-pop” tunes as well. And a friend of mine who plays bluegrass and old-time music just dropped his 3rd album, and his banjo and fiddle playing are absolutely gorgeous. I also started getting into some hyperpop recently as well via somebody I’m sorta starting to date. They showed me some of the noisier stuff first to try and coax me in knowing my music tastes, and now I’m playing Sophie and the like regularly.

I know it’s super cliche and boring to say “I listen to everything” but honestly, I do find music in basically every genre that I’m able to enjoy, even if at the end of the day I GENERALLY gravitate towards metal, hardcore, and their derivative sub-genres.

6 Likes

Outside of Vk I’m pretty sure my favorite genres would be Deathcore/Metalcore as well as Depressive Suicidal Black Metal, but I also enjoy genres such as: Death Metal and related subgenres, Black Metal and related subgenres, Nu Metal, Alt Metal, Alt Rock, Grindcore/Death grind/Goregrind, EBM/Aggrotech, Industrial/Industrial Metal, Gothic Metal, Doom Metal and related Subgenres, Goth Rock/Darkwave, Horror Punk, Crust Punk, Grunge, Neue Deutsche Härte, Avant Garde Metal, Sludge Metal, Emo, Screamo, Thrash Metal, Horrorcore, some hardcore punk, some hardcore, some heavy metal, some glam metal, and some cybergrind. Probably forgetting some but oh well.

Also I do enjoy some electronic music and some rap but am not really familiar enough with it or the genres(aside from Horrorcore) to list them. Most types of music I can usually find something about to enjoy except possibly country and noise.

7 Likes

It’s hard to narrow it down to genres, because I’m very picky, even if open minded. I could claim to like a genre, and you could show me ten bands, and I would end up liking one. But statistically speaking I listen to metal most of the time, from all kind of subgenres, for example heavier stuff like Cradle of Filth, My Dying Bride, or bands like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, prog like Disillusion, even rockoperas like Ayreon, Therion or experimental like Ulver or Arcturus, just to name some of the more important ones. I also have soft spot for electro-industrial (and ‘dark electro’ in general), like Skinny Puppy, Oghr, or Front Line Assembly and projects that I can’t really categorize, like Coil or Amon Tobin.

I have to say though, VK is only genre where I’m actively looking for new bands to listen to. Outside of that I mostly follow a handful of bands I’ve been listening to for a while, and rarely discover new stuff.

4 Likes

J-rock

12 Likes

osare kei

4 Likes

Touché, my good sir.

Can’t believe all the responses tbh lol
Interesting insight on some, the metal didn’t surprise me, some did tbh, I did read the responses, so bands named i haven’t heard of, will def check out when i have time.

I can’t put down genres because I never cared about them much in terms of labeling bands by this.

And I almost exclusively listen to VK bands anyway. Anything aside from this is not new at all and it might be nostalgia making me listen to the rest. Partly. Because it’s music I’ve been listening before getting into VK in 2006 but I still love these songs a lot and that’s not just for nostalgic reasons.

That includes several bands and it’s often just certain songs I pick not everything I’ve been listening to back then.
Bands are Silverchair (on top but it’s my most favorite band outside of VK anyway), Evanescence, Bush, Linkin Park (even though that’s just Hybrid Theory), Muse, System Of A Down (certain songs from Mesmerize, Hypnotize and Toxicity), two songs by Exilia, three by Krezip, parts of Placebo’s discography until Meds, No Doubt until Return of Saturn. However anything after Muse except for these two and three songs happens once every few years like a lot of other bands and a song here or there by these.
This listing and how rarely I listen to most of them makes it senseless to put them as "I listen to [enter genre] just because one or two bands would fit in there anyway.

3 Likes

Hmmm, this kinda stuff

1 Like

I usually fixate on one artist/band, listen the hell out of them and move on lol.

Have been checking out taiwanese bands, inhuman is probably my fav right now

OVDS:

88Balaz(AKA “88 guava seeds”)

Off topic but some tw bands give themselves english names and it’s fun to see what they come up with. My current favorite is “Bob is Tired”.

Pop wise: literally just SHINee and Aina the End lmao

1 Like

I mainly listen to black metal (Lamp of Murmuur, Burzum, Batushka, etc), dungeon synth (Erythrite Throne, Quest Master, Werendia, etc.), indie pop (Imogen Heap, Sally Dige, Molly Nilsson, We Are Loveblind, etc.), techno (Eiffel 65, Basshunter, etc), and sometimes chill/shoegaze, vaporwave/vaportrap, and nu metal.

I grew up listening to emo music, but I rarely listen to that these days since I’ve basically grown out of it. Plus it lead me into liking visual kei so it doesn’t really do anything for me anymore xD

3 Likes

Drill & Bass/IDM/whatever it gets called nowadays, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher type stuff. I like some progressive jazz/electro stuff like Serph and World’s end girlfriend. My taste doesn’t stretch too far out from Japan and the UK.

1 Like

latest spotify side

Summary

Actually, whatever song I like I kick it in one of my YouTube playlists. If I check it I’ll probably see mainly industrial metal, metalcore and similar genres to these. There are some J-pop songs, some classical music and even hyperpop lol.
Basically, whatever satisfies my ears I listen to it.
I have a special space in my heart for J-rock and visual kei though.

1 Like

Hm, well, I’m not sure but it could be an unpopular thing here. Besides VK, I have been listening to K-Pop since 2012. That was around the time I first started watching kdramas. They were some openings/endings or soundtracks which were so catchy for me and then I dived up into the kpop world :laughing:

5 Likes

I like a lot of mainstream J-ROCK and 90s metal. But genres-

1. Metalcore/Progressive Metalcore/Djent
  2. Post-Hardcore

This is probably my favorite non-vk, non-JP band

I gotta change the question for myself.

What do you listen to besides metalcore?
Well i do like VK too. Also some Jpop. And some JIndie artists.

And if you catch me on the right(or wrong depending on what you think or prefer) day you will find this playlist :point_right: (click here) running.

japanese ones? or american/western?

3 Likes

Folk mostly.

2 Likes

I stan kpop now!!!

1 Like

I just listen to whatever is good for the mood. Though predominantly im a metal guy, like most stuff in metal except for power metal and folk metal of ANY kind. Fucking hate folk metal with a passion. Haha. + Will add a preference for the more extreme stuff with all the black metal, death metal and the grinds!!! Im also pretty big into a lot of different types of rap music. Dig some industrial/electronic stuff/J pop and when i need something calm some classical, loungey jazz or ambient stuff goes nicely. :slight_smile: The classical stuff however is mainly in the form of video game soundtracks. Haha.

My music tastes are all over the place. Besides vkei, I barely listen to any rock or hardcore except for some throwbacks from my emo days like Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Underoath, or Muse.

I mostly listen to various kinds of electronic music, leaning towards the industrial/synthwave/deep house side. Lots of Nine Inch Nails, Combichrist, Blutengel, Perturbator, Covenant, Dan Terminus, etc. I like lighter synthpop-type stuff as well as more mainstream house/techno.

Then I have random shit that I just love that I can’t really apply to an entire genre. Florence and the Machine is one of my all-time favorite artists. I really enjoy cinematic/soundtrack music, especially works by Hans Zimmer, Nobuo Uematsu, Clint Mansell, Rob Dougan, and Two Steps from Hell. Also love choral music by Eric Whitacre.

3 Likes