What is YOUR favorite era of visual kei? (PART DEUX!)

2nd wave barely edges out 3rd for me. Can’t sleep on 1st and 0 wave though, I really love some stuff from those eras as well. Beyond that I’m less invested in/knowledgeable about later eras of VK, so I can’t really rank them any further.

I basically love all of them, of course. But when I began getting into the scene it was the fourth wave. Third and fifth, basically tied for second.

Stuck between 3rd and 5th wave tbh, the former being the vk I frequently listen to, and the latter being around the time I actually discovered vk (Versailles ftw!) and the last time that vk was actually visual.

1 Like

Vidoll

1 Like

2nd, but 3rd and 4th are close

Whoa, I was wondering if this was ever gonna get responded to again. Still a bummer to see that pre-VK gets no love!

3 Likes

X and Buck-Tick alone elevate pre-VK to God status IMO. I think a lot of people are just broadly unfamiliar with that period, myself included. I’ll get there one day

3 Likes

Apparently I voted on this back then and never actually wrote anything lmao

3rd and 4th wave are pretty tied (I voted 4th though) Late 90s to late 00s for me overall. 2nd wave’s great too, primarily for Kuroyume for me.

I voted for 4th but I wish I could’ve voted for 5th as well.

Okay so i have a very good questions for the creator of this thread. Did you chose the bands in those era’s based of when the ended activities or started because i feel like the list of bands that were selected dont match up with the era’s. Thats just my personal opinion of course i found it weird which bands you placed in which ever eras they were in.

I picked 2009 - 2013 because this was around the time Born, sadie, awoi, mejibray, diaura were at the height of their popularity and released a lot of good music around this time. Also many great bands either formed around this time frame or were already active making extremely good releases that are timeless memorable. Even down to the indie bands around this time were trying to change things up and be a bit different. Super amazing era and is by far my most favorite era of vkei. Of course in this era there were a lot of indie bands that absolutely sucked but this was a very good era of all those bands who had a lot of popularity.

Also some small corrections: Dezert formed in 2010, and Mejibray formed in 2010

A close second would prob be 2014 -2019 there were also some good bands that formed around this timeframe too. Not as good as 2009-2013 but still decent enough. Once it hit like id say around 2017ish to 2018 thats when i feel some new bands started to fall off but dont get me wrong there are some good bands in that era.

1 Like