What's your age?

To be honest, I feel like that now. The last true J-rock album I listened to (and bought) was DEXCORE’s full length. Before that…? I couldn’t tell you. Maybe Mejibray or the GazettE.

I only come here mainly due to nostalgia. 99% of my Spotify playlists are just old 99s and 00s pop and pop rock like Paramore and t.A.T.u.

I think it’s because I don’t keep up with the newer J-rock and visual kei groups anymore and stick with the ones I’m already seasoned and familiar with who release some sort of material once in a blue moon like Dir en grey and MUCC.

I definitely feel like I’ve stayed my welcome but until a group like Dir en grey and the GazettE call it quits or something, I’ll still be here.

7 Likes

Born in 1980.
Growing out of what I love because I should? Hell, no. Why would I do that? Aside from weren’t growing out something that happens naturally and not because I should do so?
I never understood that concept anyway.

This doesn’t mean I’m into many recent bands. I’m rather rarely interested in new ones since those I’ve tried didn’t catch my attention most of the time. That doesn’t change anything about my taste in music. Even though I might be listening to stuff from like ten years ago a lot that’s still the music I’ve been listening to when I’ve been ten years younger than I am now. Sometimes there’s a new band that I like but usually that’s it. It’s more like I seetled for something certain in which everything is something like perfect to me, the type of music in general, the way the songs get composed and put together, what stands out more to me and my preferences (which means quite a good amount bass drum and toms parts from the drums) and vocals that just perfectly touch me. If it’s not about that combination it’s hard to get me as interested as in the past and it’s not easy to get to this. But that doesn’t mean I grew out of that at all. Quite the contrary. I feel like the longer I do listen the more I love all of that.

13 Likes

as old as the pyxidis, luvs…

6 Likes

I’m not worried about aging out of something I like, although I’ll admit it I’d feel kinda weird being a 70 year old (I doubt I’d live this long anyway lol) and listening to Deviloof but in the end I listen to music that I find enjoyable and am not going to let what other people might think have any power over that.

Anyway I guess I’m 27 but I cannot comprehend this fact…

8 Likes

Why would you feel weird at 70 listening to a band that was from your youth? Think of all the 40-50 year olds who are still listening to bands like Metallica and Slayer or all the 60-70 year olds still listening to artists from their own youths. You don’t wake up one day and suddenly become a Metallica-listening Dad. That was shit they’ve liked since they were young. I still listen to all the bands I listened to as a pre-teen now that I’m in my 20s (Slipknot, Korn, My Chemical Romance, The Gazette, Nightmare, etc) and I have no intention of stopping. Maybe it would be weird to listen to what the kids will be listening to, but artists from your own time? Nah.

15 Likes

My parents and grandparents have incredibly contemporary music tastes, whereas I got to Vasalla and stopped. I think at a certain point one needs to stop caring that the vast majority of people putting out art are significantly younger than you because otherwise you’d consume nothing further, and at that point what’s the worry about being the elderly person who loves aggressive music? Not to mention, the genre is going to age with you. Guitars are passé babe.

8 Likes

32 here. I like listening to new stuff, although most VK bands nowadays are too metal for me to enjoy.

3 Likes

33 year

2 Likes

Vk was a millenial thing

3 Likes

ask for year no for your opinion. :thinking:

2 Likes

27, : (

4 Likes

Am 42 :smiley:
Think my introduction into Japanese music was around 2007 so when I was about 28.
I followed quite some bands back then incl メトロノーム (metronome), Imitation PoPs 宇宙戦隊NOIZ (now just called UCHUSENTAI:NOIZ, the Gazette, Dir en grey, Mix Speakers Inc (saw them even live once!), Moi dix Mois (saw them also live!), Psycho le Cemu, Malice Mizer, alice nine, Közi and ビリー (biruu).
Not all of them were active at that time so it was quite a nice mix of old & new stuff.
I also collected all of their releases, but sold everything a few years ago apart from stuff by メトロノーム, UCHUSENTAI:NOIZ, Malice Mizer, Közi and two Dir en grey cd/lp box sets.
These days I also only listen to those bands, but read some interesting stuff over here about some newer bands and am intrigued to check those out.

12 Likes

Back in the early 2000s I used to be one of the youngest… Guess it’s my turn to be an elder now. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes
  1. I’m a baby.
5 Likes

I guess I’m the youngest here, haha. I started listening to Japanese music when I was 10, so 5 years is not so bad. I’m 15. I was hiding my age everywhere because I thought way too much about how people see me, but I don’t care anymore.

13 Likes

i’m 25. got into vkei when i was… fuck, 12 years old. that stings, but it also kinda rules honestly. vkei has been just about the only consistent thing in my life.

6 Likes

A very filthy 31. It’s nice to see younger and older fans alike though!

9 Likes

turned 20 this year, got into vk when i was 11 <3

6 Likes

I am onescore and fourteen years old. An Elder of the J-Rock fandom. Hearken unto my words and receive sound counsel and wisdom. I will reveal to you the ancient paths of weebdom.

11 Likes

I am 29, close to 30. I became aware of Visual Kei 4-5 years ago & developed a fascination of it ever since. :slight_smile:

7 Likes