What's your age?

I`m 36, have been listening to this stuff for about 19 years…omg lol

3 Likes
  1. Been into vk since I was 15.
3 Likes

im 16, but i made my account here at the age of 14 :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I have no idea really, I usually calculate based on what others say +7 or something. Some police said I still go to high school people with you know… keen insight into the human soul and others think I’m 16. One of the few things that make me happy.

2 Likes

3 Likes

What’s my age again?

1 Like

I’m 20 years old. I was introduced to vkei at the age of 9 ( wtf?? ) because someone who i idolized on deviantart listened to an cafe ( oh no ) and then i got obsessed with the weirdness. At 10 years old I went through my ‘‘i’m edgy and different’’ angsty phase and found out about all the mega cool edgy dark bands and got obsessed with those ( especially girugamesh ) :sunglasses::+1: I also got my big bro to teach me how to play the guitar and later that year got one of my own, i still have it but probably suck at playing now. Told everyone and their grandmas that I was going to become a professional guitarist super star. Dream big kids.

7 Likes

I’m 28, gonna be 29 in November :sob: I don’t really like to think of it much cause I feel like I haven’t accomplished much haha :’ )

2 Likes

That remind me a song (and a nice video clip🤣) from blink 182.

3 Likes

Pun intended https://media.tenor.com/_4xCiEhhoZsAAAAM/dog-smile.gif

I feel like I am in my difficult teen mode 20 years late :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

24 years old!

2 Likes

But I think age is just a number. My favorite and only Japanese rocker I listen to, TK from Ling tosite sigure has these super young superfans on IG that are like 14 and 17 respectively, something like that. I forget their exact ages. The point is a lot of musicians are older than their audience.

Makes sense we aren’t going to stop listening to our favorites. Music is music. A bond is a bond.

5 Likes

I’m 32! Got into vkei at 16, oh to be young again… :smiling_face_with_tear:
Not too worried about “aging out” of anything, why would I give up something I like (music and otherwise) just because everyone else insist on being boring. I’m sure the musicians themselves are happy that people in general are listening to what they put out (a user called metalnana on instagram is like 84 or something and she still listens to metal lmao)

7 Likes

im 16!

3 Likes

I’ll never say my age outright, but I’m young enough that the Super Nintendo was the next state of the art video game console and kids who got sore thumbs from playing too much got diagnosed with “Nintendo-sitis”

5 Likes

Twenty Four. I got into visual kei in late elementary and now look at me, still love it lmao

3 Likes

84? Wow, that’s pretty impressive. You have to really give her credit. Admirable.

3 Likes

17, only got truly into V-KEI around Autumn last year.

1 Like

Did your relationship with v系 and Japanese subcultures change with ageing?

Are you in your early 20s and haven’t saved enough money to go see your favourite band in Japan yet? Are you in your late 30s and your mother in law is tired of you asking to babysit your children so you can go see Buck-Tick in another prefecture? Do you think you will still be an active fan of the genre in your 50s? 60s?

I won’t be talking too much about my personal stages of falling in and out of love with v系, but I’m turning 29 this year and I always thought that I would have become a boring normie with a career and a day job by that age, but looks like I’m going to attend even more shows than usual. I’ve also started following a bunch of old school brands such as Sex Pot as well as all the EGL brands, so I’m planning to start wearing v系 related fashion too, after many years of thinking that I’m too old for it.

Anyway, any time I’m leaving the community and focus on other hobbies, I always, always come back with a new passion for the genre, so looks like I will be and active bangya in my 30s too.

How about you?

1 Like

About the same age as you.

I got into v系 at the start of the '10s, and at the time it felt like there was enough residual information from the mid-'00s overseas boom and its dedicated fanbase to get my foot in the door. A lot of the bands I got into were an amalgam of all my favorite genres at the time like jpop/electronica/prog-rock, and none of the the sparkly club pop anthems in the mainstream space appealed to me. From high school to about halfway though college, v系 was my primary listening material, and I started to build up a pretty substantial CD collection.

Getting a bit personal here, but I ended up realizing sticking with v系 and having surface-level knowledge in most of my other interests was doing me no favors when trying to break the ice with most people. The long story short on that was me becoming super-focused in branching outwards to a bunch of interests & genres and going down their respective rabbit-holes. Realized I liked a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, so v系 started to take a bit of a backseat.

As I’m inching closer to my 30s, while I’m still pretty ravenous with my music discovery in other spaces (increasingly so since it’s been made a lot easier), the visual kei I enjoy (the not-so-dark stuff) is clearly on its way out. There are some outliers that popped up here and there the past few years, but it’ll never get to the sheer density and spectacle that was the early 2010s for me. I’m collecting the physical “scraps”/live-limited stuff nowadays from my peak-listening days and while I’m “keeping one eye open”, I’m prepared for the worst tbh.

Ended on a bit of sad note, but with the internet facilitating more and more indie trends, including vk, to permeate into the mainstream space, I’m sure something will crop up in the future that I’ll get really into. Whenever I think I’m getting too old for this shit, I just chill with the retiree audiophile oldheads to humble myself and feel young again (sorry guys, lol).

3 Likes