Yukihiro Takahashi (Yellow Magic Orchestra) has passed away

Electronic/pop legend Yukihiro Takahashi, best known from Yellow Magic Orchestra and more recently METAFIVE, has passed away, as announced today on 2023/01/14. The exact cause of his death has not been officially revealed afaik, but back in 2020 he was treated and operated on because of a brain tumor. He was 70 years old.

Honestly, I’m at a loss for words… He always seemed like such a cool and gentle dude. He really paved the way for whole modern musical genres as part of YMO, which I enjoyed immensely. Lately, I’ve been getting to know his solo material which is just as good. He left us with an enormous catalogue of his art. R.I.P.

15 Likes

oh my god nooooo…this breaks my heart to read. rest in peace legend. </3

7 Likes

Wow, this one is a shock. RIP. What a legend~

3 Likes

RIP :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Very sad news. A musical pioneer. He has left behind his art which will continue to inspire people through the decades.

2 Likes

Absolutely heartbreaking. I’ve always loved watching videos of his performances because everyone looks like they’re having such a great time.

You can cry, you can smile at the same time

3 Likes

Sakamoto Ryuichi’s condition is also getting worse day by day (he has various health issues as two(?) type cancers), it’s seems his time is running out too.

1 Like

I found this retro Yukihiro-sama from back in the day (80s)

4 Likes