alice nine./A9/アリス九號. are disbanding (?) on/"freezing" their activity from September 3rd 2023 after 18 years + farewell tour LAST DANCE announced

Damn, no dates in June. Would have loved to see this farewell tour

why? honest question

Legends.

2 Likes

The reasoning is two-fold, well, actually three. All of them are my personal opinions and not objective truths. One, the music isn’t bad per se but it also has no distinguishing features. It doesn’t grab me. Two, Shou just cannot growl to save his life. He can maybe manage a little bit at the end of a phrase but he fails at incorporating growls/screams into his actual singing. These days his voice is much more suited to arisu’s melodies. Three, the Engrish lyrics! I can only listen to their songs during commute, when the background noises drown out the lyrics and Shou’s pronunciation. I’m a Shou gya but Diawolf isn’t for me.

3 Likes

Ah :pleading_face:

Even with those song titles and tour names they’ve been having recently, this comes as a small shock to me (I didn’t think anything of them, after all many a vk band had dramatic titles without any serious background intention)… How the announcement is worded doesn’t really give me hope that they’ll be back anytime soon.

I hope that at least the guys can branch out and do some cool stuff on their own (fingers crossed for a potential old-school vk inspired project from Saga).

4 Likes

Big hope for Saga too. The highest potential of this band.

2 Likes

Mirror Ball was one of my first vk songs :disappointed: :disappointed:

2 Likes

Transalation in English and French of their message by Crimson Lotus

I knew the day would be coming eventually. It’s remarkable they stayed together throughout 18 years with no line up changes.

Hiatus… to me sounds like it’s unlikely for them to come back, and VK is just not as popular as before.

They were my first VK band, and holds a special memory in my heart. I thought everything up to 9 was pretty good. It’s too bad they didn’t get bigger during their prime with gazette being psc’s main band.

Jewels solo is still fine as hell. Original Yami Ni Chiru and Kowloon with nu-metal sound were amazing. Memento had some old a9 sound, and I thought the remake albums from 2019 had some gems. Dice, the void, Time Machine remakes… bangers!

But music recently, really was lacklustre. The boys gave it their all during these years.

I’m forever grateful for their music!

6 Likes

ah. my heart just broke.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’d say give Grace a listen. It may or may not be for you but I thought it was a satisfying last album. I’d glad they got to experiment with different sounds once they went independent.

I was just talking about their career and the many name changes they’ve been through with my wife, now this. 18 years in this scene is worthy of admiration. They weren’t ever my favorite, but I enjoyed them from time to time—From their photoshoots in SHOXX to their discography over the years. Good job, fellas. You will be missed.

4 Likes

It’s been a couple of days and it’s hard to put into words how I feel. Not crying and throwing up etc since I’ve been expecting this. To be honest, in my head the best case scenario has always been they get to their 20th anniversary, and enter a semi-hiatus, meaning just a few lives a year, no pressure to keep releasing albums and singles. Ultimately getting to their 19th year isn’t that different from their 20th. They are not getting any younger. The pandemic really threw a spanner in the works that nobody could have foreseen.
On the other hand, they feel like my last solid tie to the genre. I have a couple other bands I will listen to, but Alice Nine is the one I’ve been supporting with my hard-earned cash, ya know? It’s saying goodbye to an old friend, or part of myself. Been a fan for what, 16, 17 years. Drifted away at two points because I didn’t like their sounds at that time (alpha, the last year while they were with PSC). It’s rare that for the most part, the evolution in their music and style has aligned with my personal tastes.
I’m sure Hiroto will be busy sessioning with everyone in the industry. He can’t keep still and he’s a performer at heart. Shou, I’ve got a feeling he’ll focus more on non-music related interests. Like he himself has said, he only wants to sing when he’s accompanied by Alice Nine. Tora will do the occasional video shooting and editing for other bands. Saga will be a composer, for his own music and perhaps for others as a sound mixing engineer/director. Not sure about Nao, teaching drums and sessioning?
PS: The one thing that saddens me is that they’ll never get another invitation to Hyde’s Halloween Bash ;_;
PPS: I wonder what will happen to Next Decade, the management company they set up. Filing for bankruptcy? The social media accounts are safe since they’re not leaving a company and won’t need to close them. I’m hoping the official homepage and FC remain open.

5 Likes

they have a management company???

Next Decade is theirs. It’s the entity that employs their manager, (some of) their stage hands etc. If you look at their CD and DVDs, you can see Next Decade being credited. On their official homepage, it says ‘2015-2023 NEXT DECADE All rights reserved’ at the bottom of the page.
Oh hey I found it!! The company info screencap someone saved. I’m not sure if you can read kanji. The last entry basically says company representative: Kohara Kazumasa

2 Likes

There’s this fake Tora account getting fansites shut down and I am wondering why???

It’s a fake?
I thought Tora was really going ape mode against fanpages

i can’t believe it, the fake tora account made alice nine break up

Damn, those fake accounts from years ago still at it.

1 Like