Band Recommendations

On the weird new-wavier side of things I can’t believe I forgot the all time greats:

Depending on which album or song you listen to, they dabbled in folk rock, indie-pop, industrial, jazz rock, new wave, art rock, etc.

The first few albums of these guys were extremely good too, kinda light vk with art rock and proggy elements mixed in:

4 Likes

Can’t help with the request for goth/post-punk stuff, but if we’re allowed non-VK bands, I’m gonna throw these two in as well:

^This live video is from the 00s, but the song is from the 90s. He’s still great now, but the effortless charisma 90s/00s Chiba Yusuke had was just off the charts.

Love The Pillows.

Well, this is more 80s than 90s, but Goth:

I am surprised no one mentioned Lucifer Luscious Violenoue and her projects like Gille’ Loves and fiction:

Also from the 80s, Kokushoku Elegy sounded a lot like Siouxsie and the Banshees:

Also other Goth stuff (most is from the 80s again):

Now for an 90s band that was right at the very fringe or middle of both Goth and VK, Velvet Endroit. These guys were also friends with many 90s VK bands:

From there I’d recommend most of bands from the early to mid 90s “Nagoya kei” scene. They all had a very huge Goth and Deathrock influence in their formative days:

Later on this kind of sound became standard for the indies VK bands signed to labels like Matina, Soleil or Key Party, which I also highly recommend:

I’ll probably can find even more stuff… the 90s were really a great era for underground and alternative music and Visual kei.

5 Likes

Thought I’d mention Deshabillz since they’re one of the only 90s bands I knew.

3 Likes

That’s because I’ve just now seen this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Janne Da Arc, you should expect that from me by now

Pierrot!

3 Likes

I want to add hitorie because they’re so good and I love them. This is one of the first MV’s without their frontman who passed away in April of 2019. Their so warm in a sense, very math rocky, but just so fun. They’re just continuing to carve their own musical journey and the ride has been so fun.

They did the opening for the anime 86, 3分29秒

3 Likes

I would like to add TK from Ling tosite sigure

He is the first musician I truly started following proactively instead of just passively waiting around for me to come across him or his music. Before him I was mostly a casual listener. With him I became a fan and later a superfan. With him I bought my first CD album. Listened to the whole thing from start to finish and really enjoyed reading about the people behind the whole recording process. With his music I became an audiophile. I use DAC (digital-to-analog converters) amplifiers to listen to my music in hi-res and cannot see myself doing so in any other way going forward.

JPopXfile by Ling tosite sigure on Youtube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwiVuYxJFYs

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you for so many recommendations! :o

Is there anything else in Japan that sounds like Cohol?

1 Like

There are two bands that come to mind at the moment . Heaven in Her Arms and Asunojokei. They don’t sound exactly like Cohol but they are of similar genre. Heaven in Her Arms even had a split release with Cohol.

Saw that, didn’t realize they were Japanese lol I’ll have to check it out.

Bands like Prompts? Perhaps one specializing in down tempo.

You might dig Suggestions!

2 Likes

Found them already but thanks. I checked out their split with Falling Asleep

1 Like

Elysium? Maybe
They got barely releases though

1 Like

That’s a new one. Thanks!

1 Like

Anything similar to D.I.D?

What bands sound like Madeth gray’ll that’s not Misanthrope?