cali≠gari

I think I remember seeing some synth models/types listed on some of their old (pre-hiatus) albums! I’m gonna browse through my CDs to investigate and will get back here with the info. :slight_smile:

(also hi/welcome! :D)

2 Likes

Okay, I typed up all the keyboard/synth information from the “8” album. Other than this in my collection I see the Dai7 album also has detailed specs like this, so I’ll type that up later too. None of the other albums or mini albums I have do this type of instrument list unfortunately.

ヒズンダ!ヒズンダ!
Analog Synthesizer: KORG/MS10, EMS/Sythi A, KORG/DELTA

舌先3分サイズ ver.1.5
Sampler: Roland/SP-808
Digital Synthesizer: YAMAHA/motif6, KORG/TR-Rack
Sequence: Roland/XV-5080, KORG/MS2000R
(plus some ProTools computer specs, too long for me to type them all down, lol)

虜ローラー
Computer: Custom Made PC, Emagic/Logic Audio4.7, CreamWare/Pulsar
Sampler: E-mu/E4XT ULTRA
Synthesizer: Clavia/Nord Rack, Waldorf/Microwave
Soft Synthesizer: Emagic/ES-1, Attack

昏睡波動~コーマウェイブ~
Computer: Custom Made PC, Emagic/Logic Audio4.7, CreamWare/Pulsar

白い黒
Vibraphone: Roland D-70 + XV-5080
Sampler: E-mu/E4XT ULTRA
Organ: VOX/JAGUAR

読心
Analog Synthesizer: KORG/MS10
Sampler: AKAI/S5000, E-mu/E4XT ULTRA
Sequence: Roland/XV-5080, KORG/MS2000R
(plus a bunch of ProTools computer specs)

ダ・ダン・ディ・ダン・ダン
Analog Synthesizer: KORG/DELTA, SEQUENCIAL/MAX

パイロットフィッシュ
Sampler: AKAI/S5000
Analog Synthesizer: KORG/DELTA

新宿ヱレキテル
(plus a bunch of ProTools computer specs)

破れた電報
(a bunch of ProTools computer specs on an Apple Macintosh)

青春狂騒曲~青雲立志編~

edit: aaaand here’s all of 第7実験室! That’s all. :smiley:

ハイカラ・殺伐・ハイソ・絶賛
Digital Synthesizer: YAMAHA/DX7

まほらば憂愁
Combo Organ: Farfissa

マグロ
Synthesizer: Roland/Fantom

黒い球体
Combo Organ: Vox

きりきりまいむ
Computer: Apple Blue G3/400 & ProTools24/Digital Performer3.02
Synthesizer: AKAI/MX1000 & Roland XV-5080

デジタブルニウニウ
Sampler: AKAI/S5000, Roland/SP-808
Digital Synthesizer: Roland/Fantom, KORG/Triton-Rack

体内騒音あやなしアンチ苦笑
Digital Synthesizer: Roland/Fantom, XV-5080, KORG/Triton-Rack

わずらい
Combo Organ: Vox
Digital Synthesizer: YAMAHA/DX7, Roland/XV-5080

東京ロゼヲモンド倶楽部
Theremin: ISHIBASHI (Original)
Piano: STEINWAY & SONS B-211

東京病
Electric Piano: Rhodes/Suitecase73’

7 Likes

I noticed recently that their Guitar: (桜井青) Ao Sakurai is openly Gay. what about the other members?

1 Like

That explains a lot.

Oh my god this is awesome thank you!!! That’s a lot to type up, I really appreciate it. I’m surprised how extensive their hardware is, but it explains how they get such a unique sound. My first batch of their CDs are coming in the mail soon, I had no idea that they put all that in their liner notes.

&thanks for the warm welcome!

2 Likes

Yeah they sure were thorough with providing all this info on those couple of albums. :smiley: From vocals, guitar and bass models and amps, drumkits, everything… I wish they included these details on all their releases cuz I love reading stuff like this, haha.

3 Likes

Ao took part in a ZI:KILL session as vocalist last night at Ikebukuro CHOP, and man what a setlist! Also cool lineup (guitar: aie from deadman / tgads / gibkiy, bass: kazu from tgads / gibkiy / STEREO.C.K, drums: Amon from STEREO.C.K / ex-KGF).

He’s rockin’ that TUSK cosplay like nobody’s business. :joy:

1 Like

tfw shipping on your Buyee package is approx. 2-3x what you spent on the items themselves ):

There’s a couple of things in here that I bought outside of that bundle (the DVD, 13, the summer mini-album, and the Goatbed CDs of course,) but I got most of this stuff for around $30 (before shipping obv) and I think I made out pretty well, despite already owning a couple of these. A few cases aren’t in pristine condition, but this rounds out most of the major releases I was missing. Blue Film, the Dai 2 rerecording, 10, 11, Janai, the Sayonara Stardust single, and the LP version of Haru No Hi are all gets I’m quite excited for.

I think I’m almost done with my Cali Gari collection, but I could get on some bullshit one day and decide I want to get their VHSs or, god forbid, FC-exclusive releases and/or cassettes. Right now I’m looking for the Re:13 and Oyasumi Nasai DVDs, Dai 5, and that’s pretty much it. Maybe I’ll get the Hernia mini-album or Blue Film Revival eventually, but I don’t feel like I need to hunt those down any time soon.

Also FINALLY bought 0 and it shipped out today :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: pls send your thoughts and prayers to my bank account

8 Likes

Double post time baybee

Hi Garists! This one’s probably a long-shot. I’m writing an essay on the convoluted history of Cali Gari right now that I intend to include on a USB drive - along with their discography and other assorted VK albums I have - as a part of my best friend’s Christmas present, and in my research I came across something weird. At the last couple of shows with Shuuji #1, they were apparently performing a song called “Soapland.” Does anyone know wtf this was? Is it a translation of a title that I’m unaware of?

Normally with Cali Gari if I find something like that, a Google search or scouring vk.gy will give me my answer, but I didn’t get many hits with this one. My theory is that this may have been an early version of Maguro? I guess it mentions “Soapland,” in reference to bath houses where prostitution takes place, but that’s really the only lead I found here. I know we’ll never see these lives due to the fact that they seemingly avoid releasing anything that explicitly involves Shuuji #1 now, but I’m curious to know regardless - even if the prospect of Maguro with Shuuji #1 is way too tantalizing.

If I remember correctly, Soapland and at least one other song were written by Shuuji-1 for the upcoming album, but then he quit the band and when Shuuji-2 came on board that album became the Blue Film mini album (so they scrapped all of Shuuji-1’s contributions obviously).

There are mentions (or even bootleg audio recordings, I’m not sure) of Shuuji-1 performing those would-have-been-caligari songs live with his subsequent band(s), so they gotta be unique tracks and not early versions of 'gari tunes I suppose.

edit: I think one other song had “needle” in the title and there might have been a third one with a title all in kanji, but I’m just going off of memory here.

1 Like

Cool, gotcha. Bootlegs would be the coolest thing, but I can’t see those ever surfacing if they exist lol.

That lines up with them dropping most(all?) of the songs he had credits on. It seems like Blue Film started as Dai 6 then - or at least another full-length rather than a mini-album. It seems like the short period of time between Kimi Ga Saku Yama and Blue Film was very chaotic for them.

CRYPTID SIGHTING

2 Likes

Still has the voice of an angel… Hope he’s doing well.

Damn, I never expected to hear anything from him since he retired.

Interview mentions the ‘soap land’ song from shuuji 1.

2 Likes

Oh shit this is a good find, thank you! I need to read more of their interviews, they usually have some good nuggets of lore.

There’s one interview with La’royque’de zavy where shuuji replies solely in katakana english WTF. It was sometime in 2015/16 when they released that 2nd single

2 Likes

君が咲く山 was mentioned in ののちゃん

2016/12

2 Likes

Poetry.