DEVILOOF 3rd album "DYSTOPIA" announced

I enjoyed it but also agree it was generic sounding. Tbh I think this song would benefit from one of those cheesey horror movie lines at the beginning

2 Likes

Well its still less generic than ncbl, my expectations were pretty low after that demo cd and their album only having a handful of new songs and riding on seiyas previous craft

If you’re gonna throw around big words, you should use them correctly…how can a Western site be xenophobic towards a Western genre of music??

xenophobia = fear/dislike/hatred of people from OTHER countries

“West” isn’t a country anyway.

< end rant >

Anyway, I find this much more tolerable if I intentionally do NOT watch the video, because the video really compounds the samey, repetitive feel. It really just drags on musically AND visually, especially since there’s no “story” for us to follow lyrically yet.

3 Likes

Um let’s see maybe the three people above criticizing a band for sounding “western”. I hope you were drunk when you typed that.:rofl: Western is a reference to serveral countries.

you’re the one that incorrectly accused them of “xenophobia” and I’m pointing out that YOU are using the term in a wildly incorrect way, which is ignorant at best and malicious at worst.

It would be like calling someone racist for not liking Mexican food. Wrong on two accounts because A) people can dislike things without being hateful and bigoted towards and entire culture/social entity and B) you’re semantically incorrect because Mexico isn’t a race.

Calling it “Western” deathcore is semantically correct on the part of the other users, but you’re using an incorrect word to describe the situation. Sorry if I sounded a bit nasty, but I think it’s pretty uncool to incorrectly use words that describe very real problems people face in very trivial contexts such as this.

1 Like

It’s not incorrect dude because they were implying that there was something negative associated with the western sound, hence statements such as “genetic western sound” which is essentially saying a band is automatically generic and not good merely because of their location i.e. “western”. All of that IS xenophobia. xenophobia = fear/dislike/hatred of people from OTHER countries. Sounds like dislike from people from other countries.

I don’t like the way you’re framing this especially since you’re semi-referring to me. When I say this song sounds like “Western deathcore” in a negative sense, I’m not referring to Western people themselves, I’m referring to their music (in this case deathcore) which I have a right to criticize as a human being without being labeled as xenophobic (especially as an American). If people can classify this song as “Western deathcore” in the first place then don’t you think Western deathcore has a specific sound that is identifiable? You’re saying this identifier is based solely off of the hatred of other countries which doesn’t make sense.

By the way, I’m sure we both can agree that Japanese music has an identifiable sound as well. And I’m sure there are so many people outside of this forum who dislike Japanese music because of the randomness or unusual songwriting in a lot of bands (e.g. Maximum The Hormone, I.C.D.D, maybe even most Idol groups and Visual Kei bands), but they’re just racist and hate Japan, right?

2 Likes

I love it.
Well mostly, the screaming gets a little repetitive after a while, wished he has used some more pig squeals.
But I, as person who hasn’t listened to far enough western metal to compare in any way with western metal, find the composition pretty interesting.
I love this kind of metal songs that changes constantly and go everywhere between breakdown and fast blasting, And this is exactly that kind of track I wanted from them.

1 Like

Bland and not even that heavy, lots of random generic middle America 90s C grade death metal riffs thrown together to make something somewhat comprehensive. At least they didn’t try to unnecessarily fill song time by inserting random breakdowns like Jiluka did in their latest shitfest release.
So far looks > music.

1 Like

Yeah this felt like 90s death metal, this new VOD blows that to hell. I’m nervous, but I’ve never liked every song from any of DEVILOOF’s releases so I guess it’s not a big deal. VICTIMOFDECEPTION - FALSE FAME - YouTube

It has absolutely nothing to do with any country or peoples – only the distinct sound and style itself. Disliking a certain sound/style has absolutely NO comparison to disliking an entire group of people; it’s a gross misuse of the word as gil said. Look, I know you really like the song, and you seem upset that others don’t, but please stop trying to insult or dismiss people’s opinions just cause they don’t like it. We can all be fans of a band and dislike some of their work all the same.

All that aside, I’m still looking forward to their album and I’m curious how the other songs will turn out. Seeing Aisaku with that awesome corpse paint, I was hoping that maybe there’d be some black metal influence… definitely not in this song, but maybe another on the album, perhaps. I guess we’ll see.

4 Likes

Am i the only one who had to think of Jurassic park with that MV? Was waiting for a velicoraptor to come around thr corner. Ok, joke :sweat_smile:

I am not a fan of deviloof, so as expected i didn’t like it. The song had an idea, but the idea was missing a concept to make it run fluent.

5 Likes

Well, japaneses rockers always been late on pumping western extreme metal like that. So, not a big deal. Nokubura kinda did the same since Caz and Daichi left.

Plus, it’s a promotional vid for international export. Yes, it sounds nothing like VKish Deviloof or more recently Newspeak, but who cares? If you want older sound, then grab older songs. Otherwise, wait for the full lenght. They won’t play the same shit over and over. Maybe they’ll be back on a more melodic side on the next one. Who knows.

Newspeak was a great song because it transitioned into something distinct and different right before the song wears out it’s welcome, and then it ends on a bombastic note. Short, sweet, to the point. I could listen to it all day. Peer Pressure is the opposite. I listened to it once, and was actively checking how much longer there was to the song because I could swear on several occasions that it was close to ending. That’s not a good sign to me.

I agree with the sentiment that after the halfway point they lost their way and started doing quasi-random guitar noodling to fill the gap. The lack of any variation in the vocals also causes a very monotone experience - I was hoping for something other than grunting and the occasional scream and I actually like extreme metal and harsh vocals and deathcore. We needed singing, a solo, a harp, something else to give the song coherency and structure. If you like it then I’m glad for you, but I’m left wanting more in a bad way. I hope the rest of the album isn’t this boring and lifeless.

The comparisons to “western metal” are apt, but I hate that term. Say what you mean. It sounds like American deathcore because deathcore originated in southwestern America. There’s nothing wrong with visual kei bands taking deathcore as an influence because Deviloof have been doing it the whole time. It’s just that we aren’t used to Deviloof missing the mark like this.

Maybe the album will be good and this is the weakest track? We have to wait and see. But I definitely don’t think they picked the strongest song they could as promotional material.

14 Likes

Three days left.

A 10-minute long Deviloof track is coming according to their recent tweet :flushed:

4 Likes

I don’t know what to say other than lol.

I wonder what the runtime is. :thinking:

I am so freaking ready for this album.

1 Like

I was expecting a long track, that seems to be a recent trend in deathcore. I still wish they would remake nightmare