DEVILOOF new mini-album "DAMNED" release and major debut

17 Likes

Well damn.

1 Like

release has been postponed to 4/19 due to Keisuke’s chronic pharyngitis (lingering sore throat) and he had to pause activities until late January

[tracklist]
â–ŒDISC-1 CD

1. Damn
  2. The Blackened Sun
  3. Afterlife
  4. Terpsichore
  5. False Self

â–ŒDISC-2 DVD ※limited edition

1. DYSTOPIA RETURNS TOUR OFF SHOT MOVIE
  2. 「Damn」MV
  3. 「Damn」MV MAKING VIDEO
  4. 「False Self」MV
  5. 「False Self」MV MAIKNG VIDEO

the location looks so stupid, why do you have those metal fences inside a parking house?! they are completely out of place

Hell in a Cell

4 Likes

Okay yeah, this goes hard.

Shame about the postponement, but I can wait.

1 Like

Keisuke still got the goofy ahh beard under that facepaint

3 Likes

So what do you guys think about the song?

Personally it feels like they are out of ideas. Maybe should have saved Disclosed Pandoras Box for a single instead :laughing:

2 Likes

Honestly I liked most of it but parts of it definitely felt a little too filler-y.

I guess we will need to see what the rest of DAMN actually contains. Because I noticed bits of it in Dystopia but it seems they’re leaning more towards an electronic heavy deathcore/slam (depending on the song) style rather than the more traditional Japanese instrument deathcore thing they had going on in Oni.
I’d presume this is partially because they’ve probably ran out of writing from Seiya, unless he’s still ghost-writing for them some songs, or at least riffs inbetween THE DESPERADO releases.

5 Likes

Yeah its pretty disappointing. Isn’t this supposed to be their major debut? One would think they would pure their ALL into this to make it as mindblowing as possible.
Did you feel they did that?

I guess there are only as many thing as you can do as a “brooootal” japanese band?

Keisuke’s painted “beard” is also goofy AF like someone else already pointed out.

This might be the beginning of the the end for them. The creativity is gone.

I definitely like the chaotic vibe of this one. This is nothing too innovative, but it is simply chaotic metal which is far enough for me to be enjoyable. the “Our live have been changed so much” part is annoyinig and far too long, having it one time is far enough.
the video feels pretty akward though. Like the “story line” feels like the most basic VK thing to do when you have enough budget to get actors. and the “happy moment” scenes are the most akward ones I have seen in quite some time.

also Keisuke makes some very stupid sounding sounds unintentionally inbetween the growls. At the first times listening to it I thought I would have some other video playing in the background. Hope it is enough to make an A for Asthma video.

I don’t think it’s that bad. Some transitions are stronger than others but it’s a fun song overall. I came from the era where bands going major meant they went pop. This barely registers as a style change for me.

And guys, Seiya left in 2018. This is 2023. Gotta move past Oni.

5 Likes

But Seiya wasnt in Deviloof when they dropped Oni, oni was dropped after the lineup change

They stole his songs when he left. He wrote majority of what would become Oni and some of Dystopia. Seiya went into detail in a Note post you have to pay for.

2 Likes

Even dystopia still used seiyas material

2 Likes

It really makes me want to say fuck these guys sometimes, but it’s no one’s fault but Daiki and Ken.

1 Like

regardless of how little I enjoy their music, it’s good news that a visual band is going major

1 Like

Is it though? Look at the Raid.

1 Like