DEXCORE

Karen hair + mullet

1 Like

not bad actually

1 Like

You’re missing the point of VK. It’s not about the makeup and the costume, it’s about the identity and the way the members want to portray themselves. Early pioneers like L’Arc didn’t even consider themselves VK, they were just emulating the popular Western glam rock and heavy metal of the day.

1 Like

hide invented vk so X were just another glam band, but I don’t see how L’Arc who came around over a decade later didn’t know what they were doing was vk. I know exactly what the purpose of vk is. It and any kind of metal whether it be glam or black or death, what have you has always been a fuck you to popular music and society at large. My point is that vk is a niche within a niche as far as the popularity of vk and metal as a whole in Japan in a country obsessed with western pop, Enka, and rock. I’m pretty sure the only thing vk is bigger than as far as fan base is Japanese hip hop and or reggae.

I don’t think Dexcore wants to go major, not depending on how they work and what they delivered so far.
Do they want to make great music? Yes
Do they want to be successful? In their own way, yes.
Do they love being independent, so they can do and say/sing/play whatever they want? Hell YES!
Do they want to exchange their independency for “fame”? NOPE!
I’ve the feeling it sounds like hell to them being told what to do, when to do, how to do. And seriously, going major means exactly this.

4 Likes

You’re more than likely right. There’s plenty of time for them to have a good run and say ten years from now they go the way of lynch. and Kagami can form a solo career that’s hopefully better than HAZUKI’s. If they see the success of a metal band and do a few shows overseas, festivals, etc then they’ve done more than the majority of vk bands so that’d be a nice accomplishment. I just hate the idea of them fizzling out and Kagami becomes a fisherman and nowhere near enough people were exposed to his talent as a singer.

Considering that they’re from Aichi I think it is? I’d not be surprised if they want to live life like their senpai and find their own obsessions and vices how Ai is obsessed with sweets and cats and probably has very little to worry about since he cashed in on DEATHGAZE and made a solo and whatever DARRELL is. :man_shrugging:t2:

For what it’s worth I actually acted as interpreter in an interview with Tetsuya from L’Arc in which he directly told me that he has never considered L’Arc as VK and neither has the band ever formally stated that either. Furthermore the term visual kei was barely even in use at that time because it was coined by a man now known to many as VK-oyaji who started the first ever VK magazine, SHOXX. (He was present in the interview too).

1 Like

I would love to see DEXCORE follow in lynch.'s footsteps. A fellow Nagoya band who steadily gained a passionate fanbase and went from bigger to bigger venues. That made it all the more meaningful when they finally announced their Budokan show and all the more bittersweet when it had to be postponed.

lynch.'s footsteps? As far as I like DEXCORE for many of their songs, watching them doing 3/4 albums from one track sound as lynch did for many years, that’s a big no thanks. DEXCORE found their trademark sound since their last EP, which will end to be boring if they start following lynch.'s footsteps. Let them doing what they wanna do, how they wanna sound, how they wanna look, without trying to make them go major. That would be the end of the DEXCORE we love.

6 Likes

I know exactly who you’re talking about, he seems to be a pretty sweet old man and I’ve read some of the interviews where he talked about fhe beginnings of vk and I never disputed whether or not L’Arc considered themselves vk because their type was soft Kei and that’s not exactly a thing, it’s something fans came up with to categorize things so I’m not disputing that it wasn’t a thing to them.

1 Like

I don’t think experience or how long you’ve been a band is relevant in the current music scene anymore.

If we take all the bands that broke through in the past 4 years (at least in the world of metal) it’s whomever could get viral. Take Jinjer which was the darling of all the react channels for a good chunk of time. Basically a (somewhat talented) metalcore act from a God forsaken country that evolved from playing at festivals in bum nowhere (where I’ve seen them a couple of times) to playing mainstage at Wacken. I’m sure that if it wasn’t for their viral appeal they wouldn’t get on Wacken. Ever.
Same thing for Bloodywood. Which had a world tour put together without ever playing live before.
Or as we saw last year with Spiritbox, which is basically pretty mediocre modern metalcore with the female screamer shtick.

Without appealing to exoticism, Dexcore is actually a really talented band with a distinct sound. Even if you’d lump them in the 'core genre VK is what actually gives them the main appeal. From the clear sonic hooks to the visuals.
I personally can’t imagine them being successful without the overall vk look. It certainly can only get them opening doors and opportunities. Look at Ghost (from Sweden) I remember hearing their first album in 2010 on MySpace (lol). By 2013 they already were on a major label and touring the world.

I don’t see why they should sacrifice their visuals to go major, especially when crazy make-up and goth-esque styles are trendy right now. Also, they don’t rely that much on visuals as Kizu, for example.

1 Like

Them releasing a video with no makeup or anything felt like a way to see how fans would react to them just dropping the whole thing, just like how that compilation of concert footage was to test the waters for whether or not a concert DVD would be worth putting out. I don’t know who manages the band, but whoever is in control of marketing, etc seem to have a lot of experience.

I just made a speculation that they will drop the visuals one day, that doesnt mean they will do it, or it will change anything on their activity/sound
The part about their visuals is my personal opinion, i see them being chubby with a lot with non-VK bands, perform as the only VK band on events that have only non-VK ones, thats why i have my suspiscion. That doesnt mean i have to be right.

And i now i am tired of writing VK and non-VK
A lot of these bands are friends with each other and hype each other up without any rivalry. So why the heck should i now fight for or against any band.
Dexcore are a good band and we will see what the future brings for them.

2 Likes

Sadly the bands Dexcore are befrended with are much further than most people of the fandom. They respect eachother for their talent and their skills.

In my opinion the problem lies in the catastrophic selfmade image of the visual kei sceen itself. You can’t cover missing talent and skill with make up, but sadly they always try that over again and again.
Dexcore proves that you don’t need a super flashy over the top decorated outfit to be VK. It’s more important the music itself delivers.

And why shouldn’t they perform on non VK gigs? That way they show VK it’s what most people think it is (only the looks).

3 Likes

Probably nothing to worry about, looks like it’s for a PV. On a side note he is unrecognizable with that hair and no makeup.

So, like, after listening to his lyrics; he’s like severely mentally Ill I think.

Mostly I’m kidding around, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

Wow, that’s a harsh diagnosis from “listening” to his lyrics. (I personally would understand the f-word in colorful variation and a few words, which wouldn’t make any sence without context, but there are people understanding screming better than I.)

You can put Dexcores lyrics into two categories.
The ones which are politically and socially criticism and come with a powerful message and the ones about emotions. And fitting to their sound these emotions aren’t the bright one. Of cause it’s about hatred, sadness, desperation… I would be shockt if he would sing and scream about a beautiful love and unicorns.
He once stated that his lyrics aren’t always about his own experience and stuff he has gone through himself. But he tries to reflect on how people in this situations would feel like.

Of cause I don’t knwo him in person and I have no clue what’s going on in his mind, but I doubt we have the right doing diagnosis about his mental state, especially from afar.

I can only agree with @Masuha
Just from reading lyrics its hard to judge anyone.
And personally i dont like people throwing suggestions like BPD around.

I am gonna sound now like a boomer, but he looks better without make up. Especially his mouth, that is already kind of huge, but he made it worse with the smeared lipstick.

1 Like

I apologize for using BPD flippantly, but yeah his lyrics definitely indicate something. If he’s writing them from a place of personal experience and emotion, you don’t just write shit like “self-hatred” or even “the light” without having something going on.

And from my own personal perspective, I listen to these songs every day because i am mentally I’ll and I relate with them deeply. I’m not making a “judgment” or even talking shit I’m just relaying.

But ya know whatever