DIR EN GREY new live Blu-ray/DVD "25th Anniversary TOUR22 FROM DEPRESSION TO ________" and LP album "PHALARIS" release

I’m excited now. I haven’t actually listened to the album yet so it’ll be a fresh listen. Praise the band for doing vinyl :raised_hands:

Praise the band for doing vinyl and working with JVC on a special remaster.

Other than I assume the bass being more mono out of technical necessity, what else sounds different on the vinyl version?

To be honest I hadn’t listened to the album in a while and I wasn’t listening too carefully so it’s harder to make specific comparisons. Aside from soundstage in general, I can tell care was put into making this a proper analogue master as opposed to a bare minimum dump from digital.

Might try to rip it for easier comparison soon.

1 Like

The guy who mastered the PHALARIS LP also mastered the DSS LP btw.

Apparently, the menu music of the Blu-ray is a piano version of -I’ll-.

It’s the walk-out music too.

1 Like

Interesting that he’s credited in the deluxe box set, but the LP version from The End Records credits Alan Douches, same as on the CD.

Truly a trip down memory lane that can make you fall in love with them all over again.

Man, this entire performance is so fucking weird, hollow, and empty. Like, hearing the setlist proper put me in an uncanny valley.

1 Like

Man, here I thought I was the only one that found it kinda underwhelming.

In other news:

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, there were unexpected delays in production in Japan. However, the items are now almost on their way to us and should reach us towards the end of the month. Your order will be shipped as soon as possible after arrival at the warehouse.

So CDJapan it is, for next time ._.

1 Like

Can you explain why? Is it… not good? Like they’re going through the motions?

Watch it and tell me what you think :smiley:
I just found it underwhelming as a whole, I guess. Maybe the missing crowd noises for the umpteenth time…

1 Like

The missing crowd noise kills this for me. Makes it sound so boring

It’s still like that in Japan ? Those rules are so useless

No, this was filmed last year.

I liked it. The whole band was on point. Aesthetics are good. Audio is good. I’m not bothered by lack of crowd noise, it adds to certain parts of certain songs but it’s not essential for me. I’d rate this as one of their top releases.

1 Like

Blu-ray has disappointed me. On the one hand, the sound is not the best, nor is the presentation itself (for a 25th anniversary). I don’t like the montage either, the addition of 5 songs from day 1 to day 2 causes me a compulsive disorder.

The sound is really bad for a blu ray from 2023. Some of their mid 00’s DVDs have a better sound lol

Edit 1: But at least the version of ain’t afraid to die sounds more like the original and not like the botched PHALARIS version

Edit 2: I don’t really get, why they added 6 songs from the Shinjuku blaze gig which are already on the main disc though???

Huh? Did you buy a bootleg? :smiley:
None of the bonus BR songs are on the main disc. The main disc is comprised of these two lives:

And the bonus disc is this live’s encore: