DIR EN GREY - The Devil In Me

Listened a few more times with my best headphones. I consider myself to be very open minded musically, more than your average joe, so after a few listens I started to really get what they were going for here.
It’s atmospheric, moody, measured, and definitely not for everyone. Not the ingredients you would think of for easy radio play / single material.

I feel as though in their pursuit to not let a genre or the past define them, they come to some interesting conclusions in their modern songs. And in an attempt to make something that’s not been done before, they make some tracks that just make their fans go “what the hell was that?” Or “I really didn’t care for that.”
They’re not the kind of band you listen to and expect them to be the same from one release to another. Taking our own tates and preferences aside, you can see that they are always challenging expectations. (Less so with the remakes, but that’s a different story.)

For this title track, I still feel it seems like a lead in to a much bigger album. It’s like World of Mercy condensed into 4 minutes. Perhaps the 1st song on a new album or EP.

4 Likes