DIR EN GREY

Dead Tree sounds heavenly. they used to be so great.

4 Likes

Rubbish Heap, Values of Madness, and The World of Mercy are excellent here, too. They’ve still got it.

5 Likes

I thought this when I saw them in NYC, and again when I first saw this show on the DVD - the songs from TIW are MUCH better live. Without the absolute SQUASHED sound of the album, the instruments are able to breathe in the mix and everything is a lot clearer. The guitars especially, I can actually hear the dynamics in the picking rather than just a wall of distorted guitars.

Wish Shinya’s shell triggers were set with a bit more sensitivity though, especially the snare.

2 Likes

This is why compression sucks. Haha. I almost totally avoid using compression on my own music to avoid this. Always feel the sound can do its thing more and gives a more “live” feel than everything being overly compressed.

Compression is a good tool but it can be dangerous if used in a wrong way… Which happen a lot in ’ mordern ’ music these days…

2 Likes

This! Well done compression is in my opinion one of the biggest things that sets newer audio engineers apart from the masters. No compression at all makes a mix lack punch and power, and things often feel too separated. Too much and any punch that was present in the original source sounds gets SQUASHED and it all sounds flat.

I’ve heard from top-tier engineers before that compression was, despite being one of the simplest tools available to an engineer, the tool that took them the longest to master.

3 Likes

I don’t know what to do with this new information.

9 Likes

Does Shinya get some phatty dubs is the question.

4 Likes

They don’t play Fortnite together, but Kyo suggests that they should play video games together, even if it’s just Fortnite.

9 Likes

That’s definitely one of the cutest Kyo posts I’ve seen, regardless of the translation. I’m very into this softer phase he seems to be in with his persona.

1 Like

You should see his posts for the other band mates.

8 Likes

Looking forward to when Kaoru is forced to play Toriko

1 Like

The only part of Kyos face that looks like he’s taken a brick is his teeth.

Kinda interesting. Turn on CC.

1 Like

Did he just imply that he composed Reiketsu Nariseba?!

3 Likes

Yes, and Cause of fickleness.

2 Likes

Well yeah I remember reading that a while back, but even if I didn’t know Cause of Fickleness still sounds like something Shinya would compose. Reiketsu not so much.

1 Like

It’s very different from what I know of Shinya’s writing previously, but at the same time, kinda makes sense to me. There was about 6 years time between 6 ugly and Uroboros, and the kind of songs I was writing 6 years ago are VERY different from what I’ve been writing in the past few months.

2 Likes
2 Likes

IT’S HAPPENING???

inb4 “something something next step in the evolution of Dir en grey”

2 Likes