Favorite Jrock/VK ballads

It’s as simple as it sounds. Show us your favorite Japanese ballads. You can post even ballads outside of Jrock/VK they just need to be made by Japanese artist.
I will start with mine:

It’s one of my all time favorites

4 Likes

the GazettE’s ballads are well-composed and so touching. These songs are my top favorites.

12 Likes

For a long time i really didnt like ballads. They made me sad and i didnt like feeling sad.
Nowadays i am able to enjoy them thou.

One of my favorite ones, neither VK nor Jrock, its Jpop
Exile’s Lovers again
(that musicvideo has a kinda strange dumb feeling thou, like why are all these white people staying at the windows just to watch them inside sing and dance, why now one lets those freezing people in? )

If you want me to start crying to a song, turn on DespairsRay Squall, chances are high i might cry listening to it

Also i love the english version of the song Namida from Generations from Exile Tribe

3 Likes

Let the record show that I absolutely can’t stand ballads usually, but these are alright:

7 Likes

Will these two count as ballads?

5 Likes

I think that it counts.

Mr.Children - Surrender

^The lyrics are what really make this one: Mr Children: Surrender | Mr.Children (English Fansite)

GLAY - Tsuzureori ~so far and yet so close~

^Although I like pretty much everything from the White Road DVD (well, except Beloved, but even that song sounds better than usual in the acoustic version they did). It’s the release that got me into GLAY in the first place, and I’ve rewatched it probably more than any other live DVD. Teru can be a bit hit or miss sometimes, but White Road was 100% a hit for him. He’s totally in the zone for the entire performance.

2 Likes

Can’t mention the GazettE and omit Chizuru!!!

Uruha looks SO GOOD (they all do tbh), love the desolate beach vibe, even the wind somehow fits the feeling of the music so well. Love the guitar here. Bonus for horror movie content anyway.

13 Likes
4 Likes

There are a lot of straddlers in visual kei that are faster than mid-tempo ballads but content-wise still fit ballad territory. I’m including some of my favorites with more traditional timing along with other mid-tempo songs. I tend to prioritize melody first when I’m looking for music, so sentimental songs seem to bubble up at the top when it comes to listening habits.

TRADITIONAL

Ray°C - 夢猫-ムビョウ-

vistlip - ORDER MADE

DaizyStripper - Hello, again

Clavier~クラビア~ - 夜空に咲く花

RoNo☆Cro - 死灰-LLL-

Neverland - Merry go land

SUI - Birth Moon

オトイロハ - クリスマスローズ

ネオン - ナミダ星。

LUCHe. - ココロノコエ。

Royz - アテナ

SINCREA - I close my eyes

Acid Black Cherry - イエス

ギルド - キャンドル

ASTARIA - to place -Orchestra Ver.-

SCAPEGOAT - 告白_時々、雨

MEJIBRAY - Echo

the Raid. - 鏡花水月

2nd Dyz - 紫苑

レイヴ - 凛

MID-TEMPO

xTRiPx - I miss you

クロルシアン - NEVERLAND

ViViD - Trail of Tears

NEXX/DIV - SEASONS

MoNoLith - ドレス

Janne da Arc - Rainy~愛の調べ~

DELUHI - 星の無い夜に

3 Likes

Hopefully these count, not sure exactly the definition of ballad:

To name a few, also Defective in Product (Cease Exist Ver.) by llll-Ligro but YouTube has betrayed me and it doesn’t seem to be on there so I can’t link it…

5 Likes

lynch. has some honestly beautiful stuff, this live is definitely a favourite.

6 Likes

Another of my absolute favorites

3 Likes

Don’t think I’ll ever get tired of this:

Diaura has quite a lot of good ballads too, those silent pray acoustic singles are gold

6 Likes
7 Likes

Xaa Xaa is a band which does great Soft songs.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Since people are posting xaa xaa I remembered this one:

Ironically I first saw/heard that a few days after my dog had died.

3 Likes

Still waiting for the full MV to drop one day

4 Likes

Oh yes, ballads, a quintessential piece of composition since the dawn of modern Western music. This thread is my total jam since VK ballads are my absolute not guilty pleasure.

May I introduce you the concept of the heavy ballad?

• Nocturnal Bloodlust - Feel myself alive
  • Dimlim - 記憶、紺碧の微笑み
  • lynch. - SORROW

Less guitar strings - more traditional ballads

• DaizyStripper - Aquarium
  • Kagrra, - utakata
  • amber gris - feel me
  • Moran - Snowing
  • 9GOATS BLACK OUT - Heaven

More Pop - less rock

• Gackt - Last Song
  • L’Arc~en~Ciel - Hitomi no Juunin
  • Remioromen - Konayuki

It's just all BUCK-TICK

+1 to all the XAAXAA posted and The Thirteen

I’ll just stop here as I’m sure this could go on for much more.
Also thanks to everyone posting, so much good stuff!

8 Likes