JRO's Community Best of 2023 - Global Edition 🌍

JRO’s Community Best of 2023 - Global Edition here we go.

For the Japanese Edition → Click me
You can also find some my rambling there

Adding some slight guidelines here too.
Just to help you guys out a little, if you need too.

• Anything can go in here, Metal, Rock, Pop, whatever is in your Top of this year.

• You can include any release from 2023. It doesn’t matter if single, album, compilation or mini-album, the only condition is that it was released in 2023.

• Please include the name of the release and artist (and add the country of origin if you want), a sentence or two on why you like it so much, is very appreciated, and maybe a music video or a song.

• If you have a album or mini-album in your top 5 please highlight one or two songs that stuck out to you.
    (If you won’t highlight a song, i will add a song at random to the playlists later)

• Feel free to make a “Worst 5” release list too.

• Its absolutely fine to make several top 5’s, like Album Top 5 and Single Top 5.

What more can i say than, have fun

Adding a edit here: I will turn the suggestions in here into playlists too.

11 Likes

#5. Siuzanna - Плод
The first half of this record is good but isn’t my favourite, but the back half absolutely blows most of what I’ve listened to out of the water. Atmospheric, eclectic, engaging EDM. Really great release.

#4. Jelani Blackman - The Heart of It
Smart and lyrical, Jelani Blackman’s entire oeuvre is a joy, and this is no different. This is a fantastic debut album, and even though my expectations were sky high coming in, they were more than exceeded.

#3. Hua Chenyu - 希忘Hope
Yet another triumph from Hua Hua! I think he’s one of the most exciting Chinese artists currently active, and his immense success is more than deserved. The scope of this album is so grand, and executed so well.

#2. Six Sex - 6X
An EP this time, and ranking so highly because in just six songs, 6X has buried its way deep into my brain. This EP is so damn cool. She’s so cool. It’s a big part of what’s getting me through the winter.

#1. SHINee - Hard
I don’t think anyone who knows me and my music taste could be surprised by the album topping my list this year. With over 250 plays in full since June, there was no other possible choice for the number one spot.

Other mentions, in alphabetical order:
Ahn Ye Eun - Journey
B-ahwe - 26% MIXTAPE
Burna Boy - I Told Them
Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time
Killer Mike - Michael
Kwengface - The Memoir
Луна - Illusion
Onew - Circle
Rebecca Black - Let Her Burn
Taemin - Guilty

9 Likes

I don’t really follow new releases or any music scene outside of the Japanese VK one, but there are some stuff released this year that I came across while exploring east asian metal bands.

• DengeL - 人間樂園I (The Garden of Earthly Delights I)

I seem to be developing a taste for gothic metal bands. I discovered several ones from China and Taiwan, and of those, DengeL was the one who released something in 2023. Highlight: 伊丽莎白 (ELIZABETH)

• 周诗几 & 怪熏蜡烛 (周诗几Z.z_) - 环城西路

I discovered this “Psychedelic/Electronic/Rock” band (whose name eludes my limited Chinese knowledge (Zhoushiji ?? and the strange scented candles…?) :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ) this year, and I got addicted. I just really like the atmosphere of their songs. They’ve only released a short album worth of singles so far, with this one being the latest:

• CHTHONIC (閃靈) - PATTONKAN (護國山)

Been listening to their discography recently, and they happened to release a banger single near the beginning of the year. I appretiate them using the native language version of the songs for the recent MVs, I prefer that one over the English ones.

• Bloody Tyrant (暴君) - HAGAKURE II (葉隱二)

Another band I’ve been exploring that dropped a release this year. Interestingly, they have an almost completely new lineup compared to their earlier big releases, but the new team seems to be really good IMO. Highlight: 蟬時雨 Semi Shigure

• Vengeful Spectre (殞煞) - Vengeful Spectre II (殞煞 二)

A Chinese black metal band I discovered last year, they released their second album in 2023. I’m no black metal expert, but I thought it was pretty good. Highlight: Blood and Ashes

Honorable mention:

• Madmans Esprit - Mismatch

I was lukewarm about the album remix single releases earlier this year, but this new song actually got stuck in my head after a few listens.

• 云裳乐队 (Yunshang Band) - 木兰 (Mulan)

A Chinese folk metal band that started this year. Only a handful of songs so far, but they’re promising IMO.

4 Likes

What is that name lmfao

1 Like

This was a bit hard (just like always I guess, heh) cuz on the one hand this year has been just full of good-to-great releases on a global scale, but on the other hand trying to keep up with everything seriously burnt me out around the end of October, so I haven’t been able to listen to almost any new music since then, lmao…

Anyway, here are my top 10 favorite albums of 2023. I could have easily included 10 more, but in my current state of mind these stick out as being unique or leaving more of an impact on me. I cannot bring myself to rank them against each other so this’ll go in alphabetical order.

• Belgrado - Intra Apogeum
    I’ve been eager for a new album from these Spanish post-punks (and one Polish post-punkette) and they delivered in spades! They spice their usual retro-flavored tunes up with a gloss of synthpop this time, making for a very catchy listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H7jMXBvEvw

• Canary Complex - The Tragic Dance of Dying Leaves
    One of my coolest discoveries this year, hands-down! Hailing from the US, Canary Casey’s solo project encapsulates such a specific delicate, ethereal feeling and melodic sense I associate with classic (light) visual kei that it’s kinda scary. Traces of emo, folk and various indie-isms are also present. I know I said I won’t rank the albums but this one is easy top 3 for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84iUfiCk7w

• Code Orange - The Above
    These guys from the US are pretty new to me still, but a quick crash course through their discography was an exhilarating experience, culminating in their latest full-length. Having evolved from their metalcore and hardcore roots, those stylings are dressed up with nu-metal, grunge and a general alternative vibe with a knack for experimentation. Adventurous and exciting stuff!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYYFOmv6KsE

• Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
    A rock-solid death metal institution, and once you spin this album you’ll understand why. Complex, heavy-hitting and surprisingly fun in its no-holds-barred brutality. Honestly, I didn’t expect to dig this album as much as I did (most death metal has become more of a “background comfort listening” to me).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLFZmu3keEk

• Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
    The Scottish daredevil of blackened speed metal returns! This type of extreme music originating in old-school metal roots is another comfy type of listening I usually don’t expect much out of, but this badboy is packed full of catchy riffs and killer leads, delivered with infectuous energy. Had a chance to catch them live too, excellent band all around!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rn15n7Mv0E

• JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown - SCARING THE HOES
    Truth be told, I’m only familiar with some of Danny Brown’s work, but once this dropped I had to check it out, and holy moly… These guys work really well together. I love it when hip-hop/rap goes weird and manages to shock me a bit. A wild ride that’s also pretty short so perfect for replays.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbEShI-tNY

• Marduk - Memento Mori
    After the Swedish black metal veterans’ last album I pretty much wrote them off, but I admit I was terribly wrong. This album slaps like no Marduk album’s slapped for a long while now. They bring both the savagery and the eerie death-like atmosphere that’s their bread and butter (to me at least). A quality release with a captivating atmosphere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63LTBX5vIs

• Night Verses - Every Sound Has A Color In The Valley Of Night: Part 1
    Oh how I wanted a new album from these American lads, and now it looks like it’s a double dose! Part 1 stands mighty fine in all its progressive instrumental math-metal glory, just what I expected from them. Unique sounds and arrangements, clever riffs, chill and headbangin’ parts, the works. Can’t wait for Part 2!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCTKlYRFHk

• Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya
    The Greek black metal prophet once again graces us in all his Satanic splendor with an album almost a decade after his previous magnum opus. Intricate riffs swirl in from otherworldly spheres, mixing with a wider range of vocal delivery that makes the experience quite ritualistic and celebratory. If you wanna listen to only one black metal record this year, this is probably the one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWYP8x9svE

• WARGASM (UK) - Venom
    The debut album I’ve been most excited about, and it paid off! This young British duo cranks out their mashup of nu-metal, digital hardcore and industrial rock with such style and ease, I cannot help but stan. It’s coming at you like a high-speed chase with the heaviness of a tank but packing plenty of catchy moments. One of the highest earworm factors for me this year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEyBFg3E_dI

6 Likes

Right away, i cant cut this down to only Albums XDD

Top 5

1. Currents - The Death We Seek (album)
    Highlight: Living in Tragedy
    I am gonna close my eyes to the AI album art now XD because the music is just good and on point. Living in Tragedy is the one that stuck out the most to me. You just have me punching the air to that song.
  1. Dark Signal - Volume 1 (album)
    Highlight: Self Isolate, Pressure
    Dark Signal managed to have the right amount of softness with still some heaviness in their Volume 1. (I heard that their next Album will have a different sound.)
  1. Bilmuri - LIVIN’ LAUGHIN’ LOVIN’ (EP)
    Djent or Metal gone Country is how i would describe this EP. Having an alternative Metal artist collab with a country artist like Mitchell Tenpenny was definitly interesting. And the songs are pretty much nailed.
  1. Deathphonk
    Deathphonk is one of Nik Nocturnal his projects, as the name suggests its a mix of Phonk and Deathcore. He released 6 songs as of now with the project and i liked each and everyone of them, which is why i didnt pick one out in particular.
  1. Slaughter to Prevail - Viking (single)
    Viking was the first STP i listened to, and that mainly because i kept seeing people talk about them again and again, so i thought, lets add it to my playlist, maybe i can give them a try.
    And that try led me down a rabbit hole.

Honorary mention (i wont add a comment for each release here)

• Nik Nocturnal
    Dude was productive as hell this year, just two albums off his How to Metal series, than the Termina Album and Deathphonk (did forget something, not sure tbh)
    Granny in the Club is one of my favorites from his How to Metal series, its the How to Electric Callboy song by the way
6 Likes

that Termina’s album is phenomenal. I recommended it to a group of corekids who almost lost their faith of the punk music. after they tried, everyone loved it, no joke.
I personally enjoyed Sunspear’s album the most this year tbh. hmm, seems like we have similar taste.

2 Likes

Sunspear had only a single, didnt they?
I remember they were recording or working on an album, but all i saw was a single release.
Tbh i feel like i could have listed so much more still, but i just didnt wanted to overdo it XDD

1 Like

ah yeah, they only released a single this year. I should’ve said I enjoyed their 2021 EP the most this year xD. I just knew them recently.

btw, there’s a band called “Sunquake” which is interesting for me, get a try of their EP “Pandemonium” if you have the chance. it’s oriental and Japanesque as I remembered.

I think the whole hardcore punk related scene is dying. the peak has gone comparing with releases of a decade ago.

1 Like

Hardcore punk scene? Or metalcore scene?
Because the bands we mentioned are metalcore and that scene is thriving especially with the amount of gateway bands that started to pop up.

1 Like

I was mentioning the general post-hardcore, metalcore, deathcore, mathcore, melodic hardcore, electronicore, skramz, etc. scene. hence they’re all hardcore punk related, you get the idea.
yeah, there are surely more gateway bands and I appreciate their efforts to the revival of the scene, but generally the scene still needs more refreshments and innovations as I supposed tbh…

There’s not much for this one from me, too.

nea selini - Ce monde sans couleur
It’s not even my typical genre but from the beginning I liked what nea selini came up with and that never changed.
Adding the title track of the album which I really love a lot.

nea selini - La solitude dans l’agitation
The second album being released in 2023. There are some changes from the first one which I love a lot that’s why I’ll also add two songs from this album, the ones I listened to the most so far, I guess.

3 Likes

Ima come back to this im reviewed out LOL but im def going to post something here.

and of course there is one for the global best of too

4 Likes