JRO's Community Best of 2023 🎉

It’s that time of the year again, where everyone pulls out their Best of 2023 and their Award shows, so I think it’s time for JRockOne too.

I was considering to make some kind of JRO awards for a while, but tbh i dont know how to work that out for us as of currently.

So instead we get a thread where everyone can post their personal top 5.

Futher, your top 5 will be turned into playlists on Spotify and YouTube .
So let me add some slight guidelines here:

• You can include any release from 2023. It doesn’t matter if single, album, compilation or mini-album, the only condition is that it was released in 2023.

• It doesn’t matter if the release is Visual Kei, JRock or JPop, the only limit is, that it must be a japanese release.

• Please include the name of the release and artist, a sentence or two on why you like it so much is very appreciated, and maybe a music video or a song.

• If you have a album or mini-album in your top 5 please highlight one or two songs that stuck out to you.
    (If you won’t highlight a song, i will add a song at random to the playlists later)

• Feel free to make a “Worst 5” release list too.

• Its absolutly fine to make several top 5’s, like Album Top 5 and Single Top 5.

I can’t promise you that the releases you will post will be on either Spotify or YouTube. But i want to provide others with the chance to dig through everyone’s music taste and see if there is something they like for themselves.
And maybe some can find some gems that were released this year or remember some you forgot about.

Futher, we are going to have a global edition too.
Which you can find here, if you click me
The idea mainly came because i saw quite a bunch of users digging a lot of non japanese acts and i thought it would be a great idea to check out each others taste past the japanese scene too.

Also you can find our previous Best of threads here

9 Likes

#5. Buck-Tick - Izora
Admittedly it’s not their best album, but when it comes to Buck-Tick, that still leaves an absolutely colossal space for a wonderful release. A really wonderful addition to their discography.

#4. 紫 今 - Gallery
The instrumentations on this EP go crazy, and the vocals are fantastic too.

#3. 羊文学 - 12 hugs (like butterflies)
It’s a deeply beautiful album, and especially a treasure for anyone who explores past “more than words”.

#2. Sukekiyo - Erosio
No doubt another person putting this on the list! Erosio is everything I hoped from the band and more.

#1. 女王蜂 - 十二次元
Every release I am reminded freshly why they’re my favourite Japanese band. It’s a tight and beautiful 44 minutes that’s so fully packed with incredible music that it flies by.

8 Likes

Great picks! QUEEN BEE have had a fantastic year.

3 Likes

My favorite albums:

1. 陰陽座 (Onmyo-Za) - 龍凰童子 (Ryuuou Douji)

Discovered this band on this forum (thanks to Zeus :slight_smile: ) and I immediately fell in love with them, and they just happened to release something in 2023 too. Awesome combination of traditional vibes and heavy metal, with great dynamic between the male and female singers. They also have the visuals and style to back it all up. Perfection. Highlight: 茨木童子 (Ibaragi Dōji)

1. 縁 (Enishi) - 旬華愁灯 (Shunkashuto)

I am a big fan of Sui’s singing and songwriting, so I was bound to like this, but it even has some Megaromania vibes too, which just makes it even better. I wish they’d shot an MV though or at least edited together some Live MV, because they look really cool too. Highlight: 命 (Mikoto)

1. のろゐみこ (Noroimico) - 幽明の境 (Yuumei no Kyou)

This band started last year and released this mini album and 天地騒乱 (Tenchi Sōran) this year. I’m still loving their Japanese ghost possessed, eerie, heavy wafuu metal blend. They didn’t have an MV this year, sadly, but they got the looks nonetheless. Highlight: 狂樂讃歌 (Kyōraku Sanka)

1. Hanabie (花冷え。) - Reborn Superstar! (来世は偉人)

Also disovered this band this year, and they happened to a release an awesome album. Love the combination of heaviness and playfulness, and the genre bending, unpredictable nature of their songs. They’ve got style too, so the visual part is also there. :slight_smile: My favorite song from the album is probably Tales of Villain, but I’ll highlight: 今年こそギャル〜初夏ver.〜 (Be the GAL~Early Summer ver.~), cause that MV is too good to pass up.

1. RAN (蘭) - VIRULENT

So this album came out last year, but got a 2nd press re-release (and a new MV) this year, along with a digital release, which meant I could actually listen to it. I already liked the singles, but the album adds an almost unexpected variety of heavy and melodic songs that I found quite memorable. I ended up listening to this a lot. Highlight: finale.

Honorable mentions:

The Ghost inside of Me - Invitation from “J” (Highlight: C)
XANVALA - NIX (Highlight: 冥冥)
ZERA - Devil liveD (Highlight: シャングリラ)
Ashmaze - NIRVANA. (Highlight: Hurt me)
DIAURA - ANTISM
MATHILDA - #MATHILDA (Highlight: 新宿鮫)

My favorite singles:

1. Kaya - VILLAINS

Kaya is still great, and this single was worth the wait. VILLAIN has the better MV, but as far the songs go, I prefer Malefica, so that’s my highlight.

1. Ashmaze. - カルマ (KARMA)

This band has been consistently good IMO and interesting musically. This song is among their best and the costumes are great too.

1. 【ジグソウ】(JIGSAW) - 蚕 (Kaiko)

A bit heavier than their usual recent stuff, but that just makes it better. Also, I absolutely love the singer’s outfit in this.

1. VIRGE -「空に落ちる蛍」(Sora ni ochiru hotaru)

This is also a band that is consistently good, but this song is a highlight in their recent output IMO and I had this on repeat many times since it came out.

1. DazzlingBAD - Dear

Yeah, I still like this band, and this song is one of their best IMO. Love the alternative style for iT in the MV too.

Honorable mentions:

Versailles - 「VOGUE」
UNDER FALL JUSTICE - 「消去」
JILUKA - VENΦM
NETH PRIERE CAIN - 創造の先、破滅へと至る声。

EDIT: Added more honorable mentions.

8 Likes

I wasn’t too crazy about Japanese music this year sadly. Just like with the global scenes, I was following it closely (in terms of my favorites and stuff that I was casually interested in) up to a point but in the last month or so I gave up a bit, heh. Overall lots of “hmmm fine” music, but now that I’m looking back on it, I’ve found it very hard to remember/get excited about even most of the releases I gave outstanding scores to. The general tendency was that everything sounded boring, uninspired, by-the-numbers and tired, but juuuust above the ‘pleasant listening’ line (save for a few short glimmers of hope).

Anyway, to reflect all of that, I’m only doing a top 3 list cuz not many albums hit the mark for me, really. Hoping that next year will be better (for my taste at least). Again, alphabetical order, not actual ranking.

• 色々な十字架 (DIVERS†CROIX) - 少し大きい声
    It’s kind of hilarious that what started as an April Fool’s joke project a couple years ago has become one of my favorite go-to bands when I crave old-school melodic VK but here we are. It checks all the boxes, it’s fun, dynamic and nostalgic, it’s everything I like. Strong debut album.
  • kein - 破戒と想像
    It’s a bit sad that one of the best VK albums of the year is actually a collection of songs written more than two decades ago, but… yeahhh. This is the album that I never ever dreamed of hearing, it’s still so wild to think. These guys coming together again. Perfectly crafted dark and moody tunes, both ‘new’ and well-loved. Top-notch production/sound quality too.
  • Lillies and Remains - SUPERIOR
    Another group that seemed to disappear through the cracks, but thankfully (and unexpectedly) returned with a full-length. Just cool melancholic post-punk vibes, as expected from them. To be honest in itself this wouldn’t be too remarkable imo, but there was very little competition this year. Anyway, solid stuff.

Honorable mentions that were also good but I haven’t digested them properly yet:

• BUCK-TICK - 異空 -IZORA-
  • SHERBETS - Midnight Chocolate
  • sukekiyo - EROSIO
8 Likes

Yuuyabase - Prominence

• Title track only. So I’ve only heard the title (and PV) track and the two single tracks (which honestly aren’t that great), but the title track is my favourite vk song of the year. Imagine a song produced by Яyo Trackmaker featuring Hazuki from lynch on guest vocals…. okay, not exciting… but then imagine the best overly epic over the top version of that song you can imagine and this is it. If you like The Thirteen or lynch you will love this.

deadman - rabid dog

• 10/10 song. Maybe their best. There’s such an incredible sense of tension in this song and it feels unique within the scene too. The only thing I can think of that sounds a little similar is 狂い咲いた怪物と血で血を洗うカテゴライズ漬けのTABOO by merry go round.

Dexcore - Saviour

• Another band that still has it, only one song this year but it’s really good.

Sukekiyo - Erosio

• As usual with this band there is a mixture of absolutely incredible material (訪問者X in particular), good material, and less good material. Still when they hit it they’re amazing and the lows on this album aren’t as low as before. The re-recording of 論外な生き物として has grown on me a lot too. Essential band, maybe their best. Highlight: 訪問者X

RIM - NEW ROMANCER2

• RIM’s new album combines edgy intietronica, light rock, glitch pop, and all sorts of stuff while still maintaining a consistant style. Sasagawa Mao is a fantastic song writer and on this album he shows how diverse his creative skills are.
    Highlight: えろいむ

Honourable mentions

• NAZARE - COMMON ERA -CANAAN-: This band has so many best tracks and 溺愛 is yet another one. The B-side is good too and grew on me heaps, it’s very catchy.

• Misanthrope - 哀絶ノ百合藍: Not as good as Crucifixion but still my favourite 90s tribute band atm. Sin after sin and the bonus CD track apotemnophilia are super good, but it’s all good.

• H.U.G - Helios: Some cool stuff and some boring stuff, sometimes it feels like they’re going through the motions Angelo style. If it had more harsh vocals I think it would be much better. Cool stuff: HUG, HEART, WHO IS THE ROMEO, SEEDS

• CHAQLA. - 開眼盤-真- : the two PV tracks (リーインカーネーション and ここはユートピア) are two of the best and unique VK songs this year. Unfortunately the rest is pretty weak.

• Kaya - VILLAINS: It’s a good single, Villian is my favourite but Malefica is good too.

• Virge - 空に落ちる蛍: The title track is great and has some slight Kizu vibes. 絵の具まみれ is a good track too.

• Virge - Euphoria: again, these guys still releasing good stuff

• kein - 破戒と想像: Good stuff but this style is something I would be more into in the past.

• Human Error - Human Lost: Title track is really cool but for me not the best replay value, and the rest is meh to me.

• JVM Roses Blood Symphony - it’s really cool and super cheesy, I mostly got what I wanted, I just wish the production was better because there’s so much talent and a lot going on, it just sounds a little flat.

• Die en grey - PHALARIS vinyl remaster: even though it came out last year, the 2023 remaster changed my opinion of the album so much that I have to mention it. Bumped from 4/10 to 7/10 imo, some really good stuff here.

EDIT: Have to last minute add The Gallo’s new album INFERNO. It’s really good

7 Likes

Wow! Another sh*tty year for Japanese music. Kiryu and D on hiatus, YUKI leaving Versailles, Atsushi Sakurai and Heath dead, and probably disbands and hiatus that I’m yet not aware of.

Anyways, I managed to make a list of what I found. Hopefully, the list will grow as I keep discovering more music.

sukekiyo - EROSIO

yeule - softscars
Kein - 破戒と想像
Petit Brabancon - Automata
cali≠gari - 16

美良政次 - 色彩夢一途

5 Likes

Best Album

1. Sailing Before The Wind - A Decade of Sailors (live at Cyclone)
    Highlights: One Step Over, Neo Chronicle, Drum Solo
    Sailing’s first album release, a live album at that. I think it was quite fitting for Sailing to release a live album, as the biggest recognition they gained, was usually through their live performances.
  1. Falling Asleep - Heavens where our souls belong
    Highlights: Monodrama, Heaven’s Door
    Baddiecore from Japan, is there more i gotta say?
    Falling Asleep are catching that vibe Bad Omens have for me, well less sexual than the latter. Catchy vibes, with core tendencies.
  1. Evilgloom - Addictions
    Highlight: Addictions
    Spotify was pretty fond of playing these guys in my playlist. I originally didnt like the sound production too much, but maybe i got used to it with spotify stuffing it often enough into my ears. Definitly has some bangers the album.

Best EP

1. InFix - Ignite
    Someone get a fire extinguisher, the EP is on fire.
    (Its only 3 songs, so i wont highlight anything)
  1. Shadecarrier - Humanbeing
    The Band that had their debut this year and started at a interesting time. They had a lot of momentum in the beginning from Raf’s involvment with Crystal Lake’s Vocal audition.
    Junpei mentioned on twitter once, that all he does is write shit, unfortunatly i decided to like said shit. (Was it the The Satchel that is all literally just Zero’s on guitar :melting_face:)
  1. The Cards I Play - everything we love
    Not gonna lie, it was funny to see that the Sound engineer responsible for the EP was Ashtone Audio, who i like to watch on twitch, whenever he gets to stream. (We actually talked on his streams about the EP XD)
    Two of the songs on the EP were originally released as singles before they came with the EP together too, that was Fate and In Circles. And i was jamming to Fate, i tell ya XD

Best Singles

1. Sailing Before The Wind - Vanishing Figure (featuring Sean Hester of Life Itself)
    Ya all know the Drill.
    Also Sailing outdoing themselves always with their features too. I was quiet impressed with Ryoichi’s clean vocals, he seems to be someone who struggles with them on times and he is probably better with screams. But i guess the amount of covers he did for youtube might have helped? Who knows, he did a great job thou.
  1. Sailing Before The Wind - Inferno (feat. CØRTES)
    What a surprise (thats a lie, but eitherway), Inferno is second place.
    I love the song, also the guest guitar solo is on point and the ending with the jazz breakdown at the end but i have to admit, i did prefer Vanishing Figure slightly more.

2. InFix - RAIMEI
    Another Band that is getting mentioned a second time. These guys were going strong this year and i was glad to see it. They had their vocalist leave last year and Raimei was released with a support vocalist from FOAD, so i was glad to see them having a new Vocalist with their release of Ignite again.
    Non the less, Raimei was a great song, even with guest vocals.

3. Authentional - Can’t Say/ Eye’s on me
    2 Songs released the same Day. More songs i had a lot on repeat. They have a familiar but still fresh sound, which i ended up liking a lot. Also its nice to have softer music with all the heavy stuff i listen to on times.

4. Whisper Out Loud - AsUrA
    More Baddiecore. I was quiet surprised how much i ended up liking this song, especially with the effect on the vocalists voice. (is it autotune, i dont know)

Honorary Mentions:

• Winfell Another sideproject of a SBTW member, this time of guitarist Liku.
  • Green3yed The Graupel/VICTIMOFDECEPTION super project
  • 90HYPE’s (they are only on spotify and they are another SBTW side project, one of the members involved is Ryoichi, SBTW’s vocalist
  • Phantom Excaliver huge shoutout here for these guys winning at Wacken’s Metal Battle
  • C-Gate (i unfortunatly somehow lost track of these guys throughout the year, i still got some catching up to do, for the releases that happened after their album)
  • Hanabie I still didnt listen to their whole album, but that summer song was definitly catchy AF. also these girls are just blowing up and going strong
  • The Local Pints they released a bunch of songs throughout the year, and i just love the vibe of the band

All over, i kept track with a spotify playlist throughout the year, of japanese and international releases, it helped me a lot to remember what was released throughout the year.
Also i gotta admit, some songs up in there might not make sense, i just tried to remember what i was jamming out to a lot all over.

I feel you on that, i started struggeling a lot in October i think. I just went through a phase where i was kinda burned out from new music.
And some Bands (like C-Gate) just went down with everyone else releasing and trying to keep up.

9 Likes
  • 陰陽座 (Onmyo-za) - 龍凰童子 (Ryuuou Douji)
    Highlights: 鳳凰の柩, 茨木童子

This has been my AOTY since it dropped early this year. Stunning visuals, great heavy metal to back it up, and two competent singers to top it off. I can’t get enough of this band; I won’t be surprised to see them top my last.fm charts this year. If you’re still sleeping on Onmyouza, let this album change your mind.

• sukekiyo - EROSIO
    Highlights: 訪問者X

I’m not a big sukekiyo fan but even I have to admit this album is solid. Said it in my review earlier this year but I’m finally beginning to gel with this band and see what others see in them. Lots of forward thinking instrumentation fronted by one of visual kei’s most talented vocalists is a recipe for success. And they gifted us a 9 minute music video! What a feast for the senses.

• 摩天楼オペラ - EVIL
    Highlights: 舌

Coming into the year end list at the last minute, EVIL is a release I haven’t been able to stop listening to since it came out. And this is coming from someone who hasn’t followed 摩天楼オペラ all that closely since GENESIS / R. That’s a long time.

• NoGoD - NoW Testament
    Highlights: What do you say, Mind’s eye

NoGoD’s one of those major visual kei band on the fringes always dropping solid music. I was a bit worried that they would lose their spark after losing their bassist and guitarist but NoW Testament put those fears to rest. They come out the gate so convincing and with energy I haven’t seen from them in years. Early NoGoD will always remain a favorite, but I can get down with this.

• 団長×広末慧 - 君が振る前に (Kimi ga furu mae ni)
    Highlights: marginal space, DIVA

Danchou was busy this year. What an unlikely match up between visual and non visual titans resulting in an album many might have overlooked. I find myself frequently reaching for this album when I want to listen to something fresh. Your enjoyment of this album will depend on how much you can tolerate Danchou as a vocalist.

• XANVALA - NIX
    Highlights: 冥冥, NIX

One of the few visual kei bands of the current era I mess with. They have a lot of energy, talent, and promise. Grew on me immensely over the year. NIX has a lot of bangers, and I’m liking how the title track has some D’espairsRay energy.

• Dir en grey - PHALARIS (vinyl edition)
    Highlights: 13, カムイ

I left this for last as it’s not technically a 2023 release, but the vinyl version is such an improvement over the CD that I feel compelled to shout it out. Like someone else said, took this album from a 4/10 to a 7/10 easily. The improvement is not to be understated. Unfortunately acquiring said rip of this version can prove challenging - I’ve got to settle for the CD mix for YouTube previews - but sourcing it is worth it. Dir en grey’s 10th album deserves to be heard properly.

9 Likes

Not sure if I should even post in this topic, since I probably only listened to 5 new japanese releases max. But oh well, I feel a bit inspired and stubborn enough to put my 2 cents in.

• THE LAST ROCKSTARS - Psycho Love
    Not gonna lie, this is probably more of a troll choice. However, while I (and probably other JRO habitants) considered Bigidin bigidin ban ban ban a joke/wtf song, Psycho Love sounds like an honest effort that, for some reason, stuck inside my head. More serious mood, somewhat decent electronic samples, fuzzy solo and earwormy chorus? I’m definitely discrediting whatever has left from my “expertise”, but yeah. This is definitely a 2023 song.
  • East of Eden - Evolve
    I still haven’t checked the mini-album itself. STILL. I must thank Nick for sharing this vid on JRO server. The only reason I decided to check this song in particular was this band is produced by Ayasa. And, she also played violin in DECAYS (dieplscomefromhiatuspls). So I checked their 1st single called Evolve, and… goddamn, this sounds like Falcom’s OST! And, as an avid Ys fan, my interested skyrocketed to the moon. Their symphonic/violin metal sound gives the perfect Adol Christin’s (Ys protagonist) adventurous mood. Pls kick Singha away and record some OST for the upcoming Ys game, pls.
  • lynch. - REBORN
    Do I care about REBORN now? Not really.
    However, back in March, I was pleasantly surprised by the lynch.‘s latest album. CALLING ME was a kick-ass way to return from hiatus, ngl. And the rest of the album was…well, less kick-assy. Trimmed XIII, I would even say. Still, the joint effort by the whole band does make this album much more unique, and, hopefully, that their future efforts will also showcase other members’ creativity and talent… oh, and also I hope that Gazette will probably tie Ruki somewhere in the basement and record all the songs without him.
  • petit brabancon - Automata
    Ngl, most of their songs before Automata are bleugh/I don’t get them. Smth about it being so downtuned and dumbed down that leaves nothing to get into, I guess.
    However, in Automata they managed to surprise me a bit. I didn’t expect for them going all j90s on my ass. Nor was I expecting something more calm and minimalistic from surely. Overall sound also got much cleaner after FETISH, which also is very welcoming.
    Hopefully, Automata will become their Vitium for me, since that’ll mean they can’t go anywhere, but up.
  • sukekiyo - EROSIO
    Speaking about Vitium… FUCKING FINALLY, AN ALBUM. That was my reaction after learning that Erosio is a full-fledged album, and not that audio-video-collection-too-short-travesty. Oh, and I also almost screamed in the office full of people because of that. Samples sounded like they were moving away from Infinitum (which I could only welcome), and the full release was nothing short of fantastic. Much more experiments (but still remaining confined within album’s idea), overall lighter mood, zero meandering, re-recorded Aishita & Rongai (even if I still prefer demo versions), VODKA SOUP and… 変わってくれませんでしょうか?Probably I would consider this my 2023 song. Something about the fast pace, some parts that sound like Ghostbusters’ Flip City, magnificient chorus and probably the best violin outro I’ve ever heard. Love from the first listen.
6 Likes
  1. G:nt - obvious lie (Single)

I don’t know why he always seems to make videos for his slower tracks, because I feel like he’s at his best with catchier pop-punk-ish songs like this.

1. 山田ギャル神宮 - setsunaruomoi (Album)

I listened to this album a ton when I was travelling back and forth to classes, and it’s just really nice to walk and ride the subway to. It’s got just enough of an angsty vibe to it for my taste.

1. edhiii boi - edhiii boi is here (Album)

After watching this year’s BMSG FES, I was really impressed by how much he’s improved and went back to listen to his first album. He’s still super young, but I think he’s got a really good eye.

1. Psycho le Cemu - RESISTANCE (Album)

I still think PLC are one of the few bands that have actually managed to hold onto what makes them special after reuniting.

1. SKY-HI - Sarracenia (Single)

SKY-HI is a big BAKI fan, and you can tell he really put his heart into this one.

6 Likes

hey guys, whats up ?

2023 was a huge and weird year to vk world. Many loses and many meh releases as well. But my top 5 is only good stuff that i liked or some good prediction about the future releases from these bands or not.

Then lets gooooooooo

• UNiTE - 花晨 / sheeple cirQus / iScream 通常盤 & 星躔 / cogito天才の [ Singles ]

~ highlight: DALA_MATIQ

Since march the new vocalist Nozomi from UNiTE started his activities. He has a nice voice ~more sweet if compare with Yui~.

The releases with Nozomi it was more commercial as usual to me. Many great looks in the music videos and with certain fluidity between the songs and the band is total in synergy with the new member. I can see that band has chosen wisely the new vocalist.

Nozomi just delivered each song and impressed me with the off vo. versions. Although I think his voice is too sweet he has givin some agreesivity is his vocals and i am looking forward to next releases and see how he develops with the band. Maybe i can be little bit delusional to expect a new release to 黒ユナイト.

• ヒッチコック -Hitchcock- - シアターオブダークフィルム

~Highlight: 『親指探し』 (Album.ver)

I came back to hear more vk and i heard this release from a newbie band from 2020. Well, I’m a pessimist when it comes to new vk bands due mistakes made from many bands since the vk decline around 2012/2014.

But this band got my attention by the karasu voice. I could feel little bit from AWOI and meth. also, there is some reference / inspiration or same the typical similarity of sound that we always hear in loud kei bands. Maybe I’m wrong, but this release is very good and i could say this one a note A. and now they have a new release and a special band Death×Doll and the expectations are very encouraging to them and i will keep my eyes.

• H.U.G - HELIOS

~Highlights: HUG, HEART, SEEDS

Many of u guys know that i love Ryo projects and i have been following him since ages. H.U.G arises in the same time that i came back to hear vk and it was a such a new beginning for me.

H.U.G just started strong with HELIOS album so promising and elaborated and thats a typical sign of the ryo from his previous works such as KEEL and HOLLOWGRAM. The album is very well placed in my favorite list, but isnt the best at all. Because i feel some flaws, perhaps or even an erroneous way of structuring the album. I know that some of you have questioned the way it was produced, but I am devoted to Ryo’s voice despite the small negative sides that in the end make no difference.

CORE single has the b-side vibes from the album, but it seems so great in live concerts. I guess the songs are made to hear at concerts with such another atmosphere than just hear at headphones.

• kein - 破戒と想像

~Highlight: グラミー

What such great album that kein gave to us. Impressive production/expressive with elaborate lyrics and incredibly delicious to listen at all. It’s very rare to listen to an album without feeling bored in some songs, but with 破戒と想像 I didn’t have that.

The naturalness with which this album was crafted is clearly visible in every song. The way the release was well planned and made us anxious to hear it completely made it worthwhile. I have no more words to describe how it was one of the best albums of this year.

• sukekiyo - EROSIO

~Highlights: 訪問者X, MOAN, グロス

WHAT SUCH ALBUM;;;; Its been years that i never heard something with such refined and accurated in many musical layers. EROSIO has their own world and the creation to this release for sure has taken certain time and the demos is a real prove from that. I’m very curious about the inspiration and creative process behind the music as well and how was composed or thought up.

Extremely mature and at the same time chaotic for the listener, but if you’re open-minded you’ll surely find the path that this album shows you and then you’ll see that there is cohesion in the chaos.

Of course there is some weird mistakes/faults already related by some of you. But it was the best of this year.

Honourable mentions:

DIR EN GREY - PHALARIS
I hadn’t heard one of their albums in years. But PHALARIS has the will to venture down the path they’ve already learnt. For me this album has an identity in three songs which are 朧, 現、忘我を喰らう and Eddie. Which are good songs and well within their comfort zone.

JVM Roses Blood Symphony - 協奏曲 ~耽美なる血統~
What a simple single could do ? a certain great impact when referring to groups made up of various legends from the visual kei word ~cough~ … They came along and left us with a taste of what we wanted more without promising anything. The versions are wonderful, but the ASAGI version is the best for me.

There are other mentions, but i want to keep this short.

see u on next year!

8 Likes

So I guess I’m gonna add that little bit of mine. It’s really not much.

To me it wasn’t that interesting compared to other years (regarding what got released in 2023). I also can’t come up with a real ranking. The order doesn’t matter at all.

DaizyStripper - 絶唱OH YEAH!!
It’s no surprise seeing them on my list, I guess.
This song is as energetic and positive sounding as it’s a common part of this band. I can’t even tell what exactly it is I just remember when it got released I really put the song into my mental category which includes the songs I’ll definitely listen to more often.

Makoto - 大嫌い
I really loved the album he released the year before and keep an eye on his works. From the two singles he released in 2023 this one just feels really good and energetic.

ミスイ - 証拠
That’s one of the bands from the last few years I really am into and this mini album again is just damn great.
I’m adding my most favorite song from it.

黒猫 - 少女の悪夢-始まり-
When I first heard about them I weren’t sure whether I like them or not. There was something peaking my interest but at the same time I wasn’t immediately into them. This changed by listening to that mini album more often.
Again, I’ll include my favorite song from the release.

Honorable mentions:
exist†trace
Just the band itself. I didn’t ever listen to them before this year but I guess aside from Gazette it’s the band I listened to the most throughout all their releases. But there wasn’t any in 2023 so it’s nothing to be included in the actual best of.

4 Likes

Wow its already 2024 very surprising. I kinda wanted to wait until the year ended but I really cant believe i made it lol. I felt as tho it dragged a bit longer then previous years. In either case im going to get to the picks i have for specifically Vkei in 2023. I haven’t really be able to listen new music all to much so i decided to go through the releases calendar topic in 2023 to see what i missed and catch up a bit some bands i skipped cuz of samples i already heard in passing. There was a lot tho lol :sweat_smile:. For my list ill be following the rules above and also giving bonus content.

For the bonus content, i’m doing something a bit traditional to MH days if you mods remember “Jrock Awards 2019” lol i dont think there was a 2020 version O-o. I also some added a rule i personally want for my own list. Basically, Im excluding all best albums. It’s fine if its an album compliation of stuff within the last year or so or something but nothing like a huge collection for example: Nichloas Best album and Zero(Hz) best album would be excluded for this review but something like “The MADNA - ElecTЯiP” would be fine. Without further a do lets dive into this :man_bowing:

NOTE: Ill be putting hiding single category so i dont take up a lot of space since in the blog this is a years worth of stuff

Best Overall Artist/Band in 2023

Best Overall Artist/Band in 2023 award goes to… DIAURA! :confetti_ball:

Honestly this year is rather weird. Its hard to really give an award to one particular artist. Their are a couple that come to mind tho but i start with the top artist and really work my way down.

Now some of you are prob like -.- on me picking from one of my top favorite vkei bands here but believe it or not i wouldn’t have picked them last year or the year before that. Honestly between all their recent releases and limited live stuff they really made a come back this year, with COLD SLEEP being my favorite release. I honestly believe with all the stuff they put out this year they are trying to bring back some of their old sound from early 2010’s with a bit of a twist on it making these releases more diverse and unique. ANTISM being the core of what they can really bring here with that face paced goodness i felt like was missing. COLD SLEEP solidifying things with a lot of the good use of the synth elements that we missed from the 2013 album FOCUS. Kuroi Tsuki is like that song you put on that takes you down a trip. Its not too slow but not too fast and isnt boring. Makes very good use of their sythns to make you feel like you on an adventure. Some of their limited live releases if a bit different from core diaura which is what i really like about them. Its almost like now they built up to this moment with their new sound going into 2023. Their previous recent releases have been a bit more on the pop side. Ill edit here later when i receive FORBIDDEN ( ) but overall a very long standing band that really made a come back from previous years and i hope they keep this trend going :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3yVxgVlnbw

Honorable mentions

Jigsaw

They didnt really a whole lot this year but i definitely felt like they came back in some way with some of their new stuff. It sounds like they used to sound about a year or 3 ago maybe with a bit of dispina vibes.

Hitchcock

Man the Ex-Archemi guitarist putting in the work. Super amazing stuff they have been putting out with 2 mini albums made this year and other singles.

Zera

This band put in work this year. Between their super amazing album they dropped and other releases ZERA honestly has been one of those bands tthat deserve to have a top spot in 2023.

Noroimico (のろゐみこ)

A newer band but really brings back some of the Wafuu-kei styles i missed back then. I like the dynamics between the male and female voices in the band. Their look is super amazing as well.

CHAQLA

This is a give-in for those who already know. This band as a really ground breaking style to them that i feel other vkei bands can learn from.

Best Overall Album

Mann there were a lot of good album to chose from this year surprisingly.

The best Overall album for 2023 goes too ZERA (ゼラ)!. With their album Devil liveD.

Honestly this album really surprised me. This really contained a lot of melodies, minor kote elements, loud kei elements, and large amount of background effects that really made this album diverse and really stand out. The album takes some elements that they toyed around with in 2022-2021 with their MAJRUS, MARIONETTE PARADE, and BARMY AMY releases and made it into a cool album while throwing extra stuff on top?? lol its interesting. I found myself listening to this album a bunch this year.

Tracklist review:

1. It

So to start the album off they got some weird piano, Indian/Egyptian noises going on??? WHAT! lol Then it stops, and an bleeping sound happens like someone hit a button on a computer and the song begins with a built up of background vocals, guitars and the singer chiming with it. LOL what an intro like super cool honestly. You have some techno elements used through this song in the background. The whole song is a bop like you wanna jump up and down or just headbang. There are even some slow parts with piano that balance it out. Honestly super amazing song for an intro to the album. This song after hearing makes me feel like it should be thrown into similar songs at some point because it reminds me of a song where the same lyrics are used in the chorus.

1. CALIGULA (カリギュラ)

This was a quick song i didn’t realize how quick it was while i was jamming out to it and i was like "Its done already??? WHAT! The song begins with a simple riff which is pretty cool. Then its breaks off into something different. Whoever the guitarist is does a really good job with the switch up of riffs in this songs and the vocalists style is also faced paced, switching his voice throughout the song in sequence to the riff changes. The song ends as a lead into the next one which is their A-side track

1. PURGE

Honestly perfect lead in. The song begins with the circus vibe they have which has been yes overdone a bit but i believe this band tries to make it their own by adding a horror vibe to it. Through the song you hear the background vocals and synths creating this horrorish like atmosphere. In some parts of the song it feels like epic as hell with the all the toll bells, gongs, opera and heavy music with the drummer constantly going crazy with the kicks lol. It made me feel like i was in that PV that they posted LOL. Amazing job!

1. This is xxx

The song begins straight away with a playful-ish riff. I felt this song was an extension of PURGE a bit but less horror more playful using more of the operettic background. Definitely a b-side track i think this was my second least favorite track out of them all but still a solid track simple straight to the point they didnt drag on the track. Not bad!

1. Kakumei no MASQUERADE (革命のマスカレイド)

OKAYyyy we are breaking out those piano skills. Okay Mozart XD. The song begins with fast paced piano then starts with a breakdown riff LOL? Then whispers and organs??? Then afterward the song has the vocalist chiming with that epic sounding sythn and the background vocals :yum:. Defiantly more piano usage in this sound but overall its just the a head banging trip. The drummer needs like a medal. WTF like how my dude. I need to do my homework who is this guy? Okay im done… lolll :sweat_smile:

1. trigger

This song reminds me of another song again i can remember for the life of me right now but anyways. It starts with vocals scream along with a riff the guitarist is doing then breaks off into song cleans that repeat a bit. Like the drums again super fast paced in this. There is also some piano. Rather short song. A bit repetitive sounds like something they would play live. Still good tho.

1. ever

Okay now we are switching up sound a bit. Now we got some like Kira-kei vibe with this one. Basically this track is the one that differs from the albums style. I think but its honestly refreshing. It may sound like your typical v-kei song from kira-kei bands with some screams but for some reason this band makes it unique enough to work well. They put out all the stops even the female voices in the background to the techno background to the guitar solo. Awesome job a good song thrown in the mix to have a break from the chaos.

1. SHANGRI-LA (シャングリラ)

This was a weird song to me. This is a bit of Hisui (氷翠) taking a risk and doing a ballad sort of?? with the circus-horror background??? Idk i couldn’t tell its a bit new on me maybe it will grow considering this album is only a couple months old. I do like the high notes he hits but some of the other parts were different for my taste when it comes to emotional songs. So far this was my least favorite track out of them all.

1. SAVAGE

Another quick track. Im loving these riffs these guitarists are coming up with. Here i felt the drummer could have toned down a bit during some parts but it still works as a song. I like how the song isnt too paced and slow down a bit allowing the vocalist to sing and high different types of notes here. The pacing of this is almost like the instrumental get fast in bursts then stops and slows down. Its song that has its own speed/flavor to it.

1. evil≠live

Oh man idk where to start cuz so much get thrown at you at once. I felt like the last couple of tracks were less chaos now all the chaos it returned with a vengeance. The lead guitarist and drummer went off in this track. Like its very hard to describe this track but theres soooo muchhh energy. Youll have to hear it yourself. Its the best track on the album. Like WOW!

11 Daydream

Okay solid ballad with some twinkles, piano and a guitar solo next ----->

12 Dystopia

Fast paced horror like Piano starts the song as glass breaks as the guitar starts with a cool ass riff. Then song dark/semi distorted background vocals start speaking as the band plays. The vocalist begins the first part and this is where zera really brings out their elements from the early era a bit here. Pretty cool fusion of old and new zera in this song. Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgVgxyn7UIo

Honorable mentions

**Kuroneko (黑猫) - Shoujo no Akumu Ranshou (少女の悪夢 濫觴) **

Wow what an album i almost picked it as best album but i started to re-listen again. Its an okay album for what its worth. This band feel like a bit or a dark Showa kayou kei vibe to it but i also feel like they have their own charm to them. Its hard to describe. The vocals are unique to me and sound like the band has a certain character that cant really be replaced while being a heavy band as well at times. If you haven’t checked this album out i recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskUQMOhoao

DEVIANT - gallows

This album was amazing. Honestly this band took some time to really begin actual activities but definitely has a lot of cool elements they brought to the table. To-hy’s voice is a perfect fit and with every track providing a good metal vibe similar to the gazette’s style. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TTxD4VzsOw

Codomo Dragon (コドモドラゴン) - Teiou Sekkai (帝王切開)

Ill just drop the previews trailer for this one. Super amazing comeback from before i really like the elements they brought sticking with the face paced screaming that some of the b-side singles bring out. Codomo dragon has always been an amazing band. They do have low points but definitely this year they hit well. Even their semi slower songs were amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_rOjmKya_I

THE MADNA - ELECTRIP

They really hit this one out of the park. Honestly a solid album. I waited to listen to this band a bit mostly cause i wanted to hear an album from them considering how ambitious the band is on trying to have a style similar to LM.C. and they do a good job at making it similar but not the same. I hope they get the recognition they deserve because this album really takes you in for a “TRIP” lol.

UNTIL’D ASH - HORIZON

Man oh man i wanted this one to be on the best album list so badly. If it wasn’t for ZERA this would super super get best album of the year. This band really surprised me with this one like everything about this release is balanced and super amazing but what made me chose zera was their uniqueness of each song as opposed to it being just balanced and good. I really hope this band makes more stuff and stays together. If you haven’t checked them out i highly recommend it.

Best EP of 2023

The best Overall EP for 2023 goes too CHAQULA! with their release Kaiganban-Shin- (開眼盤-真-)

DANM like can we slap groundbreaking times 1000 on this band. In my opinion they brought an overall unique sound to vkei that i didnt think would even work or was even possible. Despite this band being super new they have pumped out a unique sound that i believe is something to check out. Even the vocalist’s previous band had a bit of uniqueness to it but this band brings it to another level. I have yet to listen to “Kaihou ban” but they did post the MV of one of their songs and from what i can tell its amazing.

Track list review:

1. Kaigan (開眼)

So this is an SE but honestly prob the most funniest SE’s i have heard and a comical lead into the album :joy:. Its like someone is flipping between different channels of chaotic noises. I recommend it lol

1. REINCARNATION (リーインカーネーション)

The lead in here is just perfect its like they found the right channel after the noise settles. Honestly when this song dropped the first minute got me hooked. idk what it is about it but the clapping and the sounds they use are catchy. The riff and the refrain of the vocals are amazing. This song has some sort of weird energy that it creates and just makes you wanna like dance or stage stomp lol. ANNIE A’s voice here fits the band super well and the mix of different styles makes this song sound super refreshing. The scream part LOL i laughed at that. They borrowed a page from skrillex here with have background noise then the breakdown XD its great.

Side note: Idk why i can see some maximum the hormone influence in regards to some of the looks or a bit of the direction i should say they are in at the currently at the moment but its honestly too early to tell.

1. Koko wa UTOPIA (ここはユートピア)

This song was intended to be catchy song to hook everyone into the amazingness the rest of this EP has to offer. I like the guitarist’s choices in riffs here through the song as they switch up and the gradual breaks and other slow parts make it interesting to listen to. Thre also allow the vocalist to throw in vocal elements you wouldn’t expect here.

1. MISCAST (ミスキャスト)

This one is a bit more chill song. The song a simple riff rock riff that kinda makes it feel like i wanna walk outside on a sunny day. The vocals and instrumental refrains here are catchy and good. This song make me wanna play this on a chill day or on a happy day. Kinda one of the happy songs and the energy they generate here its cool.

1. I (異)

I love this SE HAHA :rofl:. I can describe it but its amazing.

If anyone wants a rap background track idea. Here ya go. :sweat_smile:

1. Shukai no Ne (首魁の音)

Again these guitarists like wow. They know how to give a good riff or breakdown. Another catchy type of song that has some small elements of maximum the hormone with the repeat instrumentals and a scream part that come outta no where which are also random. Its a pretty interesting song structure. Nothing i ever really heard all to much.

1. PLAY BACK!!

Okay getting more back to visual kei style a bit. I think this is their track that they can play and you can tell the style shifted. There is more catchiness but in a weird indifferent way then projected before. The guitars get more heavier a bit then before there’s screaming parts, rap parts and a slow part. The refrain of “PLAYBACK!!” is really cool anfd the song itself is well mixed in a way. Amazing song! If you haven’t checked them out i really recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvP-n46yd5o

Honorable mentions:

DIAURA - ANTISM

I already mentioned this album a bit in the best artist of the year so you can read the description over there :sweat_smile:. But heres a clip anyway cuz the band never posted the full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY_-jj6U3I

ヒッチコック(Hitchcock) - シアターオブダークフィルム(Theater of Dark Film)

This was a reallllllyyy weird album so weird i that i liked it a lot. Definitely one of their more heavier releases but for good reason. There is a lot of deep screaming ,horror vibes and fast paceness to this release. Some of the background elements used made this really stood out. I wouldn’t say its well made they could have made the quality of this release a bit better. Some tracks are too bass heavy or unbalanced but still an overall amazing release. I wasn’t able to hear the DEEP UNDER mini album seems to be CD only but ill make a note later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxL9Pl48TlY

Noroimico (のろゐみこ) - Tenchi Souran (天地騒乱)

Another band that brings great elements to the table. I honestly like what they did this year. It was difficult to pick between the two albums this year that they put out but i decided on this one because they brought back some elements from previous female vocalist vkei bands like Byakura and DAZZOD that were long dead. They really make that type of style their own and unique to them. I recommend checking them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJvdpaON9zM

Best maxi single - (3-4 tracks and is considered a single)

I cant pick :sob: i skip

Best single - (One track single)

The award for best single in 2023 goes to ヒッチコック(Hitchcock) with their single Oyayubi Sagashi (親指探し)

Honestly i found myself replaying this single a lotttt this year the non-album version too. Its really an amazing song with a lot of elements vocally and instrumentally. Plus ARCHEMI’s guitarist is putting in work to this band but this band in general already has a lot of support. I feel like they have a good amount of it enough to make a lot of content and it honestly amazes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKmE2Z_4Bqs

Best Cover Art

The award for best cover art goes to JILUKA with their single VENΦM

No words just the photo cuz that looks sick as hell lol

https://vk.gy/images/124938-photo.jpg

Top 3 Best Looks

I did a top three this is in no set order. One of these bands surprised me with their look. Without further a do here are the top looks for 2023:

CHAQLA

XEL TERROR

XEL TERROR

Noroimico

Best Newcomer

Best newcomer award goes to CHAQULA who formed at the beginning of 2023!!!

Awesome job guys i spoke a lot about them so feel free to check out the above review on their album if you haven’t already.

Best Veteran

Best Veteran award goes to DIAURA!!!

I spoke about them already in the best overall artist section in case you missed it! Amazing job this year guys :slight_smile:

Top 3 best PV's

I based these choices solely on scale, difficultly and looks while also keeping in mind the music itself. These are the PV’s that stood out to me this year. No set order on these:

ARMADEA - STIGMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRwXkE4-Spg

JILUKA - VENOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psEMRalCPFQ

0.1g no Gosan - Kikokunin A no Kokuhaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILgAUOroYB4

Saddest Disbandment

Normally id put BICK-TICK here but they are still active despite things tragically ending for them but ill probably be putting kiryu since they have been a long standing band. I got hit with this news and my childhood felt it lol. Ive been listening to them for an extremely long time and for them to leave is a bit of a blow to the scene. I wish the kiryu members the best in their future activities. Definitely looking forward to the the vkei bands that form in 2024 from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knE_SQ9DGp0

Most Overhyped Band

Dir en grey :sweat_smile:

Every year and it wont change without fail.

Most Overhyped Release

The award for the most over hyped release in 2023 goes to Versailles with their single “VOGUE”

Honestly for being release absent for so long the fans deserve better in a sense. So the amount of content here is underwhelming. It wasn’t even a proper maxi single. Not to say this single was bad but fans deserve an album. I don’t think this was overhyped to be disappointing. Its understandable why it got so much attention. They haven’t released something in years so seeing anything was amazing but the amount of hype this release generated was yes a lot.

Most Underhyped Band

The award for the most underhyped band in 2023 goes to MIKAGE!!!

Honestly MIKAGE not many people talk about them. Yes their mastering is complete and udder trash :put_litter_in_its_place: but i think they are still a good band. A hidden gem that you wouldn’t think you would find but is really there if you scrape of the dirt a bit. I think they bring back some older 2000’s elements that were left in the dust that i find that are still worth keeping.

Band that Changed their Sound for the Best

The award for Band that Changed their Sound for the best goes to UNITE!!!

Honestly i welcomed the vocal change and it really got me into unite more. I definitely need to re-visit them at some point. Overall based on the new stuff i heard from vocalist Nozomi (希), he does an better job in replacing the previous vocalist. I hope the best for this band going into 2024 im just hoping that he does a cover album of all the previous unite songs. Its a BIG need :pray:

Band that Changed their Sound for the Worse

The award for Band that Changed their Sound for the Worse goes to Deviloof

Honestly i understand the backlash but at the same time Dystopia was bad but like they just progressively got worse in 2023 surprisingly. They need some help honestly idk what else to really say then whatever was already said in the forum review of the DANMED album. I only liked 2 songs from their danmed EP and 0 songs from their DYSTOPIA album. Hopefully they come back with their new EP in 2024. We shall see :thinking:

Band that you spent most of your money on in 2023

Honestly this was DIAURA because collection their limited lives stuff has been a PAIN!! but im almost done :sweat_smile:

What the hell were they thinking!? Award

The award for What the hell were they thinking!? goes to Dantoudai no MELODY (断頭台のメロディー)

Like honestly why i dont understand what they were trying to do here they are trying to mix western style metal in a vkei band and failing at it so much. Like they wanna be korn but they forgot a lot of the steps. Its so bad def the worst release in 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrDsMmRw5bI

Best band Revival/Returns

The award for best Best band Revival/Return goes to SADIE!!!

OMG THEY ARE BACK!!! yes im so happy about there return and i really hope they came back to stay. Its super amazing that they are releasing something for the new year and im all here for that. I hope they really bring that sadie sound i have been missing since 2013. Lets welcome back the legends :clap:

JRO Community best of 2023 - Personal Top 5 releases

I have spoken about a lot of my top release picks in previous threads so ill be brief on most of these these will be in order and i will pick the top song i would like to preview for each one.

1. ZERA (ゼラ) - Devil liveD

Again an amazing album see my review above. I hope the best going into 2024 with their next album and single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjMosdw20g

1. CHAQULA - Kaiganban-Shin- (開眼盤-真-)

Super talent slapping 10k gold stars on this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i5f_dGqEpU

1. DIAURA - COLD SLEEP

Love the elements in this song preview below. I really want them to do more with the style they used in this release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVTzGoFIKA

1. UNTIL’D ASH - HORIZON

I’ve been looking for a new vocalist to follow that has a beautiful deep voice that provides excellent emotions and balanced cleans and scream with cool instrumentals. So far this album has done this. If you havent checked this out i recommend doing so please support the band :pray:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ-bDiH2ah8

1. DEVAINT - Gallows

I really think this band has a lot of potential to go pretty far. I wish them the best i spoke about the album briefly as they are one of my honorable mentions but i think deserves this spot being a top 5 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ps-zhLWKQg

I hope the best going 2024!!! I have a feeling 2024 will be a better year for Vkei :smile:

5 Likes

Agree about Xanvala they just do what others vk bands never have did in the latest years. I’m just afraid they are working to death. I hope that doesn’t affect them in near future I read all of them were sick in the tour with Nicolas. They are overworking.

It’s been a hot second and i am a little late, but our playlist on spotify is ready for everyone to listen to

I will see to get to the youtube playlist still too, sorry for running late

6 Likes