MIYAVI new album "Imaginary" release

eh, fortunately the preview of this new gravity song don’t suck as much as I expected to

Hey, I’m Miyavi the “samurai guitarist”, what better way to compliment the sound of my slap-style guitar playing than by nearly completely drowning it out with the most uninspired electronic beats. Virtually the same fucking music 7 albums in a row after the release of Ahead of the Light.

I had the lowest of expectations, rock-bottom basically, and this still managed to not exceed them. This is exactly what I didn’t want the album to sound like. And I generally don’t hate when electronic music mixes with rock. Late stage Laputa is one of my favorite eras in visual kei. I love when B-T does it. I love Soft-Ballet, Metronome, Schwarz Stein, etc., but whenever MIYAVI does it (which is 99% of the time now) it’s so fucking generic. As Jigsaw perfectly put it, the music sounds like movie trailer music. Those Nirvana and POD covers are pure cringe… Like, why even cover those two bands? Why cover the most boring tracks you can cover from either band? And why do that to those songs?

Anyway… I Swear sounds alright even though it’s kinda cheesy. I think I may like that one since I usually dig his pop ballads. Dance With Me sounds like it will be the best song on the album. Wish the entire album sounded more like that… It reminds me of his old stuff. I would be excited over the SUPER HERO cover except it sounds vastly inferior to the two previous versions.

9 Likes

make something like this or just stop pls

11 Likes

girl, same
each time I feel like miyavi is spitting at my teen memories and just wiping his ass with them afterwards

3 Likes

Miyavi’s new achievement - making a cover of a boring song that sounds even more boring than the original :clap:

for real though, WHY COVERING P.O.D. OUT OF ALL THINGS?! :joy:

5 Likes

I really had nothing to say about it, but y’all dragged me into the funeral.

Miyavi’s early career (2002-2004) was characterized by an intense passion and creativity that balanced out any of the shortcomings his vocal technique or production budget had. Those early tracks are layered and layered with so many interesting details, additional instrumentation, vocal harmonies, samples, that really set apart Miyavi from the traditional “2 guitar + bass + drums + vocal” recordings of his peers at the time. Even the B-sides on his early singles were brimming with energy and overflowing with ideas.

And though I have more of a mixed appreciation for his major releases in the coming years (late 2004-2006), like the albums MIYAVIZM, MYV POPS…

I thought his return (2006-2008) to a stripped down approach that highlighted his incredible solo guitar and vocal ability was an excellent choice! And this era really showed off his talents as a virtuoso (MIYAVIUTA, 7 SAMURAI SESSIONS, any of the Dokusou tracks).

Even 2010 What’s My Name? Miyavi, which is admittedly one of my less favorite albums, at least still held true to showing off his raw talent.

I just don’t get when he decided he needed to dumb things down and overproduce to get what he wanted? Couldn’t Miyavi have continued to grow overseas if he just kept cranking out songs on the acoustic these last 15 years? He’s such a talented singer and guitar player that you think he could develop a career with a big international audience just being respected as a singer-songwriter soloist.

i miss tech miyavi i miss emo miyavi

11 Likes

Yeah def share lots of the same feels.

Am all for him doing his thing and not being the same anymore but just once more would love to hear him create an album with full band complex arrangements, the dude was amazing at it so feels like a waste.

I actually kind of dig the preview for New Gravity, but this is a type of music I really like. Though, comparing it to what he used to put out I completely understand why people are frustrated and disappointed.

1 Like

The guitar riff in New Gravity is the same as the one from one of those collab tracks (the 3rd album I think). It’s a banging riff so on the one hand I’m glad it got a full song but it’s disappointing that he just recycled it.

Also Smells Like Teen Spirit is a cover (as you might expect) and ONE OK ROCK did it waaaay better years ago on the tribute album. Not to mention that SUPER HERO is the third time he’s recorded that track.

2 Likes

I know that his management is terminally delusional in regards to what made him what he is ca. his prime, but this smells like there’s a lost soul pushing this track again and again in desperate hopes that a bunch of marvel fans will blindly discover it on spotify/mu and will suddenly start grooving

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I am a sucker for EDM, techno and in general electronic music. But putting out same recycled shit for years now is just unacceptable tbh

1 Like

I definitely feel you there. I have the album on preorder, I actually liked this song in full. But its not really winning any awards especially in originality.

I just got around to listening to New Gravity and I am actually taken aback by how awful it is. Not just ugly, but boring too.

1 Like

I feel like it was one of his last “visual” looks and actually decent guitar work

360p realness

9 Likes

I wonder what exactly keeps him stuck on this EDM/distorted, murky, fucked up guitar mess for so long.

I would respect her if good sist recorded like 50 demos some years ago and been spacing this fuckery out over several albums to get out of her label contract - this implies we might hear something good again from her;

however, something tells me he probably sobered up and completely lost his creative spark over decade and a half in the major japanese music biz.
I really hope I’m wrong about it through.

5 Likes

I mean that would kinda explain album every 5 days. Let’s see how it works out for him lol

1 Like

I really feel like his problem is exactly this, releasing too much. In the past ten years he probably has 10 or so songs that are actually pretty good and would make up for a killer album, instead he chooses to release a metric ton of mediocre shit nobody even remembers 5 minutes after listening

to be fair, his last album that was GOOD was Samurai Sessions 1. In 2012. Did a quick run through his more recent catalogue and here are 10 songs I’d save from his output after that, you can skip everything else, trust me:

Ahead of the Light
Horizon
Real
The Others
Long Nights
Our Love
Fragile
Under the Same Sky
Hands to Hold
Senkyaku Banrai

to think everyone was OBSESSED with this dude back in the days, oh how the mighty have fallen

now lemme spin some Hi no hikari sae todokanai kono basho de for palate cleanser, brb

2 Likes

Honestly Hi no hikari sae todokanai kono basho de is one of his most epic songs, that battle/dual guitar solo still makes me smile.

Personally I think he’s trying to do too much, it’s fine to mix genre’s but I don’t think there’s really an audience for what he’s doing, he wants to retain all his technical guitar work but have all the modern EDM stuff. Sure pop music still uses guitar but it’s far more basic than what Miyavi is doing.

clap if we think myv fucks his nobody producer on the DL:

hhmmMMTTT

that would explain several albums worth of this ear torture dropping on us like a novel headache type!

I tried looking him up on wiki, but prominent king of dem beats doesn’t have a page.

he’s also not a cute pop girlie with some sort of sexual appeal who would sell that kind of knock-off zedd shit, but he doesn’t seem to realize there’s no niche his music would fit into, aside for his own leftover stans.

ps: love how everyone sleeps on gravity, his only good song this entire major-non VK era has birthed x

1 Like

I have some Jpop mutuals on social media, that love his new stuff.
For them his VK era is weird.
And apparently his newer stuff sells, and even better than his VK stuff probably.
Boy has to feed a family after all.

1 Like