MUCC - 新世界 (Shinsekai)

Who are you referring to?

Skipping 90% of the paragraph replies, I haven’t been excited for any MUCC release since some tracks off of TEOTW in 2014/15. Part of me is excited to see what they’ve done since Satoち’s departure since they have Allen filling in. The general tone of the thread seems pretty mixed tho, so we’ll see.

That said, good or bad, they need to go lay down and REST.

2 Likes

One thing I can remember is that one of the tracks in the first half of the album (?) sounded like a very bad later-era BUCK-TICK parody to me, haha (it had some weird irritating shouting vox).

After a one time listen by now I can say, I like it.
I don’t expect albums by them that impress me like they did in the past. They changed and I don’t mind that. So liking the album as much as I do now is already more than I expected. There have been too many albums that I liked a lot less, therefore that’s a good thing.

I don’t think I’ll get into NEED and COLOR. Both songs left me with a feeling that makes me certain no matter what these won’t even grow on me. That line “I will never sing love” in COLOR sounds so overly strange and just left me with a WTF. And anything I remember about NEED is strange. That’s my overall impression of that song. I guess both songs are just not my cup of tea and that’s it.

I liked 星に願いを right away so starting the album was easy anyway. I didn’t expect anything about back to the roots no matter where they went to with GONER and WORLD (which I both loved immediately last year). However I had some Karma vibes (the album, not the song itself) immediately with that album which especially goes for GONER and HACK.
I’ve also had quite some 25時の憂鬱 feelings with パーフェクトサークル.
And part of いきとし even reminded me of 悲シミノ果テ.
To me that are definitely more links to the past than I expected.

My favorite tracks after the previously released songs and this one time listen are GONER, HACK (I love the lyrics or at least parts, don’t remember them in detail right now), 零, いきとし and WORLD, but there are some more on the list that could grow from I like to I love.

4 Likes

I’m listening to this and I’m having a love hate relationship with it so far eight songs in. I stopped listening to them by the time Kyutai. Does Miya still write all of or majority of the songs? I love what he did with Petit, but I don’t know how I feel about MUCC in 2022.

Yes, Miya wrote most of the songs, there are like 3-4 songs that are written by Tatsurou and Yukke

2 Likes

I see there are only like 2000-3000 playbacks/listenings (or what you call it…), of each song of the new album on spotify, which I guess is what most people use nowadays.

Are we really that few out there who want to listen to the newest album of one of the biggest japanese rock/vk bands, as soon as possible? :cold_sweat:

The correct phrasing would be this: :slight_smile:

So how well does everyone’s reactions line up with my pre-release hot take?

Tried it again (hard to accept the fact as a huge MUCC fan…) and there more or less are no REALLY good songs on the album. Nothing that stands out, they didn’t even manage to pull off a killer chorus for the lead track (hoshi no negai wo). Was this album rushed?

I wonder what is the psychology behind a band like Mucc, who have released so many amazing 10/10 songs in the past, to drop an album with more or less only filler songs. I mean, are they satisfied with this themselves? I wonder what they are thinking.

the good stuff went into petité barbe-à-queue

8 Likes

Personally I like the album maybe not as much as Aku tho. It’s not an album that will change fan’s opinion about the band but I think there are plenty of songs that will appeal more to the mainstream public.

2 Likes

I feel it doesn’t even have those songs for the mainstream public, like Aku had for example super hero, Cobalt, スピカ etc. they were at least catchy.

no. it’s aku

I don’t think the intention of the new album was “as many catchy songs as possible” though. It was probably more stepping out of their comfort zone and trying new stuff.

3 Likes

It felt a lot like the reverse. It felt almost too safe, and i say this as someone optimistic for the project.

after letting it ferment for a while I think I might really like this album? it’s a grower.

R&R Darling is the only track that does absolutely nothing for me. I expected to hate NEED but I think it might be my surprise favorite. complicated feelings.

2 Likes

Yeah need is super catchy and fun song

1 Like

Shinsekai entered the Oricon charts at #9, making it their second highest ranking album ever (after Aku, which was at #6 - making the two entries a 69, heh).

https://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/308996/products/1445230/1/

9 Likes

Very on-brand for them.