Musicians who can speak fluent/near fluent English

Yugiri from daizy stripper
Nimo from whatever band hes in now, formerly ACE and Micro Head 4ns
Tsubasa (drummer from Micro Head 4ns)
Daisuke from Psycho le Cemu (and Seek, I think)
Keito from say hay jump is fucking sexy in English
Short Haired chick from Perfume. … i cant think of any more

Do you mean Daishi from PLC? If so, where are you getting that from, because I don’t think I’ve ever seen Daishi speak more than a few words of English?

oops I think I got the wrong Daisuke :open_mouth:

Kagami is pretty decent at English aswell!

I think Kouki from D=out can, at least when he sings English songs, it sounds like angels singing.

After checking the posted MH archive link and reading thru here,

• Hiro is often said to be one, but I wouldn’t put it past Masa (NCBL bassist) to actually be a better English speaker than Hiro. He lived in Miami for some years when he was a kid or teen, IIRC.

• Natsu (NCBL drummer) has been studying English on his own/with mentors, and chats with English-speaking fans on socials (and I imagine tour staff and friends too) but mans is nowhere near fluent.

• Lin/LYNN (abstracts, ex-NCBL) definitely is conversational in English.

• Morrie was mentioned in the MH thread as an “I think” case: can confirm. He’s fluent in English. But I feel like that’s already known here lol.

As an aside since I met him and Kiyoharu once, I think Kiyoharu understands more English than folks are aware of. Feel like most older VK musicians prolly know more than fans are aware of by virtue of career experiences, connections and travel. They prolly just don’t use it to respond much, at least not documented online.

I’ll see if I can remember more later.

1 Like

NYC or in Japan?

NYC.

I was really surprised that they didn’t record that show or upload any of it on the club’s youtube channel.

Sena of Jiluka is definitely not fluent. Supposedly he studied in Seattle at some point, but people severely overestimate how much of a language you can/will learn just from studying abroad somewhere for an unknown period of time. He can speak some English but would be maaaaybe conversational in terms of skill?

And yes people majorly underestimate how much of a language you can be relatively fluent in AND THEN LOSE from just not using it. It comes back with effort, but if it’s a sudden situation there’s no way it’s coming out.

4 Likes

Morrie’s lived in NY since 93…so almost 30 years and he’s definitely fluent. In some live talks he did last year, he answered some questions in realtime fluently in English and it was pretty good. He wasn’t searching for words that much, or at all IIRC, as can be the case for people who are learning or learned a second language.

I ran into him once at a Dir en grey show in NY circa '09 or '10 but only said a few words to him and he said something quickly back before going backstage after the show ended to meet the band.

And totally unrelated, Miyavi gets my vote for most fluent Jrocker / VK-er.
It looks like he even writes his own instagram posts in English as there are some small mistakes every now which are all pretty minor compared to other artists who try to write simple sentences and they come across as ENGRISH.

1 Like

I’ve always heard he’s there constantly, makes more sense now, but what doesn’t make sense is why he’s only performed there twice in thirty years.

I believe he’s performed there 4-5 times now. I lost track.

But I never understood why he never performed more. It probably has to do with the fact that he took a break from music from 95-06 or so. And then from 2006 he was pretty busy with Dead End, Creature Creature and his solo in the 10 years after that. Collectively he released 8 albums with those 3 projects. So playing live in NY probably wasn’t worth the effort when he / his manager could put more energy in more lucrative Japanese shows. I honestly don’t think he makes much, or anything at all, with those small shows in NY but I sure as heck would love to see an intimate live like that.

I lived in NY all of my life until 2014 when I moved away and was hoping he’d perform small one-off shows in Manhattan. Now that he does perform once or twice a year, I’m usually not there to catch him. C’est la vie!

Yep. He’s been there quite a while, him and his wife (dunno if she’s from NY). I’ve been to two of his Manhattan shows.

Back on thread topic tho, Sora from DEZERT’s been studying English for a while, since before the pandemic AFAIK. Dunno how fluent he is however, but he knows enough to speak smooth English around Natsu during IG lives.

Also, fairly certain Ryo (ex-girugamesh) knows a fair bit of English too, given his Trackmaker promotions - I swear I saw a video where he did an all-English voice over with few or no errors promoting his business, but I can’t find it right at this moment… sigh maybe it was my imagination.

Oop, I think I found a/the Ryo vid and it was actually his intro before his AOT theme song cover lmao
But, it’s from 2016, so…disregard I think.

This jiji obviously. He reside in LA for years now.

2 Likes

How could you not post this iconic image.

11 Likes

Apparently Lanju from gulu gulu is fluent in English

/s

2 Likes

If you wanna meet him, just attend a BORIS show in New York, they’re pretty close

lol what is this