Postrock / Blackgaze / Postmetal

Untamed Land is finally releasing something new. Untamed Land is basically Summoning if they were inspired by Sergio Leone and Sergio Corbucci’s classic 60s spaghetti westerns rather than J. R. R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock’s fantasy. Both tracks sounds superb.

1 Like

I love how the guitar tone sounds more like something you’d hear in a shoegaze /lo-fi indie band.

1 Like

Yeah it has its own interesting little atmosphere! I dived a bit deeper into their quickly growing discography, but sadly it seems that this more unique mood is only prevalent on this album and maybe a few releases further back. The older stuff just sounds like regular lo-fi-ish black metal (still not bad tho!).

By the way, there’s also somewhat of a curiosity, an EP featuring synth/ambient reworkings of some of their old black metal demo tracks, good spooky listening for October. :jack_o_lantern:

This shit is fun. A mix of lo-fi black metal and synthwave, with hints of darkwave and post-punk. Or something along those lines? Weird, CHEESY and really fun. Loving this shit. Also, top notch cover art!

Why post rock? Wouldn’t this thread make more sense with Post metal or Post black metal? And maybe experimental black?

Anyway I love all the following:

1 Like

oh fuck i get a chance to talk about ██████
imagine if there was a mix between blackgaze & nagoya kei, except it came from east europe

3 Likes

Since we already have a general metal thread the intent was to create a thread focused on post rock, blackgaze, post metal, atmospheric, etc. Updated the thread title.

1 Like

How did you guys like the new Maybeshewill record?
It’s (again) lacking some harder riffs, but it really grew on me. Glad they’re back together.

Another band I’d like to share in response to rsm_rain’s ██████ because the band names are equally stupid: O

Unfortunately they split up a while ago, but they did have a hurdy-gurdy player!

Their stuff is on their bandcamp for “name your price”:

Here’s a live video from 2011:

Thought I’d mention an album I’ve been listening to nonstop lately Homo Maleficus by NAGAARUM. Really awesome solo project by multi-instrumentalist of the same moniker founder of GuilThee. As far as I know this is his only Post-metal outing (Post-black metal) but lots of other stuff mostly under the black metal umbrella but experimenting all over the place raw, doom, dark ambient, atmospheric, etc.

Not sure how these guys haven’t been mentioned yet but Wolves in the Throne Room is one of the best bands ever. Post-black metal/atmospheric black metal.

Yeah, WITTR is amazing. I kinda like all they have done, with the three first being the best by a mile. “I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots” off of “Two Hunters” is just too damn good. Such a fantastic song!

I ain’t gonna lie tho, I always felt as if WITTR were the bubble gum version of Weakling, a band which is even better than WITTR. Grimmer and meaner, but very much an atmospheric band.

1 Like

I’ll have to check them out. Never heard of them surprisingly lol.

One of the lesser known and criminally underrated Post-metal bands Mouth of the Architect.

Anyone heard the new Cult of Luna album yet? Really good so far haven’t finished it yet.

1 Like

I’m slowly becoming a fan, this being the album that converted me
It slaps

For those of you who don’t know, Ibaraki is the black metal project of Matthew Heafy of Trivium. Judging from these two tracks, this isn’t something I’m gonna come back to a lot. Like…I’ll give it a few spins and then I’ll move on. I’m sure Ihsahn helped co-write the song he featured on, but I wonder if he also helped co-write the other one, or if Nergal did?

What feeling I get from this is that the first track, which I think is co-written by Ihsahn, sounds a bit like Trivium meets Emperor’s Prometheus meets Ihsahn’s more extreme solo material.
This new song with Nergal sounds like Trivium meets Prometheus meets blackened death metal-era Behemoth.

People might think I am a bit biased as I really dislike Trivium and that kind of metal, but I really like Matt Heafy and wish him all success in the world. Reading/listening to interviews with this guy is always a real pleasure, and it’s no wonder he’s been included on projects by bands such as Sigh, Ihsahn, In Vain, Chthonic and more. Seems like a genuinely great, fun, smart and interesting guy. Reckon I’d love to hang with out with him.

1 Like

Checked both out not really my cup of tea. Same issue you have I think, Trivium are also not really a band I enjoy. In all honesty those old school meets modern heavy metal bands have never been a favorite of mine, Gojira being another. Also I was wondering what’s with all the Japanese stuff lol? Fits the JRO theme I suppose.

About his band you mean? Matt Heafy was born in Japan and is half Japanese, so this is just him paying homage to his roots.

Also, those videos look really good. Visually gorgeous.

1 Like