Random thoughts thread

The ting goes skrrrahh, pap, pap, ka-ka-ka. Skibiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom. Skya, du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun. Poom, poom.

2 Likes

I am the only one whom it bothers that there is so seldom a differentiation between singles and full albums from more indie bands?

like tell me which one of those is a full album without knowing the concrete releases

1 Like

Hm… this isn’t restricted to japanese indies, is it? When I go to bandcamp I see that most artists and bands use the same visual language for all their releases. Even single track demo releases sometimes get a graphical design that makes it look like a big, official release. Maybe that phenomenon happens because the existence of the internet and music streaming eroded the lines between album, single and EP?

When looking back to say the 90s singles often had a very distinct look from albums, even in VK. But wit the age of music downloads and streaming that seems to become rarer.

1 Like

I get “your dad is forty-four and he’s still calling man for a draw” in my head constantly.

1 Like

for someone who doesn’t care about 80s hair metal, I sure am getting close to stanning earlier 90s vk

7 Likes

need a 1 year vacation from reality

9 Likes

i wish i cared more about vkei these days but the excitement i have now doesn’t hold a candle to what was (talking like early 2000’s) and yeah understandably so as it’s not a boom anymore but i really miss those days when you could find a vkei magazine here in a shop. i liked that it had a sliver or presence then, but i feel like i’m grasping at something fleeting. i only really follow a select few bands anymore and i don’t have older music on rotation as much as i used to.

3 Likes

gya/vk lore looks cute in cartoon form, lol … also, “a retirement plan for otakus”. This is why I need to check my Twitter feed more often.

2 Likes

Fuck me, I didn’t expect that essay to not have been written by him. I haven’t cried that hard since Pikachu tried to zap Ash back to life when he was turned to rock.

Lmao bro I miss you so much, i still sometimes look at all these pictures we took together. I wish we could make more happy memories together. I miss your pretty smile and the way you’d tell me everythings gonna be okay in that soft voice of yours.

1 Like

I had a job interview today and I don’t really know how I did. I’m well aware that I’m hyper-critical of anything and everything I say and do in situations like that so I can’t really assess myself realistically… :expressionless:
Fingers crossed I’ll get it because the situation in my current job isn’t looking too good (and quite frankly I’d love to do something other than customer service for once)

2 Likes

I share those same feelings. Vkei has unfortunately lost its hold on me and I can’t find my way back to it.

For me it’s a mix of my musical tastes changing over the years, and I think partly due to the way the scene has evolved. You just don’t find bands and music like you heard in the 2000’s because, well, frankly it’s 2 decades later. When I look at a lot of music I like now, it’s either from the 80’s/90’s or it sounds like it’s from that era but a modern trend (synthwave, lo-fi, etc.).

I need to preface this with the fact that I’ve fallen off hard the modern vkei train and know practically no new bands. But to your point, I haven’t really really come across any vkei bands replicating that 2000’s rock/metal sound. I don’t think there really exists a callback genre in the way that there is for something like synthwave or citypop/vaporwave. Even in the 2000’s Japanese bands would often find inspiration from Western acts (e.g. D’espairsRay channelling Marilyn Manson and Dir en grey incorporating more western musical sensibilities from Six Ugly and onwards). You take a look at someone like Marilyn Manson now and they have not nearly even a quarter of the musical influence they had back then.

This isn’t to say that vkei bands are defined by western musical trends. Clearly there are still tons of bands that are more deeply rooted in Japonesque musical sensibilities. But I think, in general, with how far metal has progressed since the early 2000’s, vkei has moved with the times.

2 Likes

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a black dream

3 Likes

Gamers: we want this and this and this! It will make the game sooo much better!

NO YOU FUCKING DONT YOU TINY BRAIN IDIOTS WE DO NOT HAVE DEVS SITTING AROUND TO ADD STUPID FEATURES THAT WILL CREATE MAJOR PROBLEMS JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE THINKS THEIR OPINION IS VALID AND THAT GAMES SHOULD CATER TO THEM ISIDFIKDKSKAKKXNFHFSKSSKSJJFJJSK

LITERALLY WHAT
DO YOU THINK CODE JUST POOFS INTO EXISTENCE AS WE THINK IT

1 Like

AI do be wildin sometimes fr fr

1 Like
5 Likes

you have no idea how much joy I’m deriving from this absolute moron taking any actually helpful concept (vitamin D, ps-choline and glutathione are all awesome on each own, and def. make a difference, particularly at this time of year) and spicing it up with the most inane routine of stuffing her vj with a bunch of magical cave rocks, while an IV drip is pumping her brain full of homeopatic matcha isoflavones (10x distilled and stripped off any carbs), and a hospital-grade ozone tube aerates her ass first thing in the morning

I’m literally so humbled by this lifestyle….does she have a story of buttchugging fly agaric tea we haven’t heard yet??? I need new ideas to stay creative and all that….

2 Likes

i used to love anime a lot, but now i hate how when i have a bad experience with someone within an anime’s respective fandom, it turns me off from the anime completely and gives me ptsd-like feelings to where I want to burn my entire collection to the ground

my current OTP is still on life support for me but other than that I may never watch this particular anime ever again, not for a long time at least (I have like a billion dvds of it)

1 Like

No bc like I just did my first vkei makeup look (at least the first one I was planning on showing people)
And I worked so hard on it and I was doing like an iT inspired kinda kotekei lip and I sent the pics I took to my best friend and asked which to post and she told me “none” and then asked me if I knew how to apply lipstick
And now I’m like staring (tote not crying) at the pics wondering what’s wrong bc I don’t get it…

1 Like

I have some hard time imaging this one
But iT means overdrawn lips and yeah… Overdrawn lips are a thing that not everyone likes
I don’t like it either.

But what is important in the end is that you felt confident about it.
If you like it, then go for it.