Random thoughts thread

You can’t just say something like that without saying what it was! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

TELL TELL TELL TELL

1 Like

@koutetsuhime @Jnxxx It’s called “Teen Again eye serum” and I got it from my workplace (Winners) so IDK if it’s on Amazon, but it’s some real magic shit

5 Likes

I thought about this but for some reason I kept watering it too much…
Thank you for the advice!

This is going to be a rant and I’m sorry, but I need to get this off my chest.

You wanna know what really gets on my nerves? People on soulseek who lock their entire musical library off and only want to “exchange”, but have no problem leeching off of others. And when I say entire library, I mean the entire library. That’s the equivalent of joining a private tracker, leeching gigabytes of data in stuff you want, but never seeding the tracker. You can’t take without giving back on private trackers, and even though there’s no system enforcing that on soulseek I feel like you should just play by the honor system and share something.

And I just know that this is the case, because I left my soulseek open all night last night. A certain user downloaded a certain rare album from me that I was providing freely, because literally no one bought and shared the release in the four years it’s been out (it’s “yellow” by the 8-eit if you were wondering). When I go to browse their files - because anyone that listens to 8-eit has good taste in music - their entire library is locked off, 8-eit included. Are they going to turn around and say they have “yellow” available for trade only? Most likely, and that’s filth. Straight filth.

I’ve always hated the concept of trading music for music unless it’s done freely. I am struggling to maintain the relevance of bands from my youth, bands I grew up loving, and even bands from as recently as five years ago. All “trading” and “exchanging” does is limit the total reach of an already niche genre of music. Plus, there’s always this catch-22 of having to “trade up” - essentially you have to offer something rarer than what you already are searching for in order for someone to be willing to trade with you…and they have to be interested in the release you’re offering to boot! Taking without giving just leads to people not wanting to share freely, and lessening the amount of music there is for everyone, and ironically making it harder to connect with the people you are seeking to trade with.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but that trading shit is dead. Shit or get off the pot. The scene is too small and there aren’t a lot of people out there with the rare stuff you seek. Music preservation is infinitely more important than maintaining your inflated sense of self-worth just because you have something rare that a lot of other people don’t have. Share it and spread joy! All that little lock icon symbolizes on soulseek is that you have it and aren’t willing to share, which at that point I have to question why you’re on a P2P FILE SHARING SERVICE to begin with.

And this is coming from someone who a) has a lot of rare stuff that I share freely and b) hawk Mercari and other auction sites for more rare and lost media that I can share freely, so I don’t feel like I’m talking out of my ass here.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

14 Likes

The times for the trade scene within VK were back around when WinMX, etc still existed, almost 15 years ago. I’m not sure who they think they’re gonna trade with lol It’s so hard to even find older band stuff now, I wish people had shared more. :<

7 Likes

Is there a (Huge) diffrence between a Live Album with DVD/BlueRay Audio recordings and cutting the DVD/BlueRay himself and make it a mp3/what ever ?

Three years later and I finally bought something I’ve wanted for well, three years. The split between Evil/Siege Column on cassette. Just something about this cassette has always looked so cool to me and definitely fits the blackened thrash style of Evil.

7 Likes

Someday I’ll actually bother to warm up before singing for 3 hours

(i probably won’t)

4 Likes

It depends on the album/live DVD, but generally, live DVD’s won’t be as loud, as the first major difference.

Generally a live album is mixed a bit differently than a live DVD, but I don’t know if I’d consider it a /huge/ difference. I’d take the live album over rips from the DVD/blu-ray if I had the choice

So you know I gotta follow up on this story.

He got back to me me after a few hours and I have to say, a lot of my earlier questions would have been answered had I read his user info. To be fair, a lot of traders don’t even bother filling it out, but this wasn’t one of those cases. To summarize the information in his user info section, to trade with him:

• He must have already downloaded something from you, and thus you are entitled to something in equal proportion.
  • You have something he wants in FLAC. The list is quite small and you probably don’t have anything on it.
  • You buy him something he wants from Beatport.

His bio says that he’s set in his ways, so I wasn’t out to change minds. I just wanted to get a better read on him. After bonding over 8-eit and music preservation, I opened the topic of trading and we began exchanging things. He offered “Velvet Venus” and “太陽の女” by 8-eit in FLAC, which you really can’t find anywhere. In return, he took DEVILOOF’s “Newspeak” in FLAC, “HEAVEN’S DOOR” (a live distributed mini that you can’t even find for sale) by 8-eit in 320, “絶望という名の花束を私に” by 8-eit in FLAC, and a copy of “yellow” in FLAC I ripped for him. He’s going to keep a lookout for “swingy swindle” in FLAC as well as a copy of DIMLIM’s “Watashi…”. I’m going to keep a lookout for “the dark side of the monochrome” omnibus.

So things went better than expected! I still think trading is dead. The bar to entry is too damn high. To provide an example, there are two people on SoulSeek that have “swingy swindle” in FLAC. One logs on every nine months, the other drives a hard bargain. How do you open up a dialog with these people when you probably don’t have anything they want? Well, I can think of a few ways. You either purchase obscure shit you don’t care about to get your foot in the door, you buy obscure shit that you do care about at marked up prices, you consistently spend money to get the newest releases to trade before it spreads everywhere, or you leech and leech for ten years and convert your commons to rarez after all the links die. All but one of those options require money, and honestly buying rarez secondhand off RarezHut/Mercari for inflated prices (inflated prices applies only to Mercari, RarezHut is reasonable) is easier than dealing with certain traders on SoulSeek. To be clear, I took the last path and it took me a decade and some change to build up enough rare stuff to be worth someone’s time, and no one cares about the really rare stuff because it’s so obscure no one’s even heard of it. If you’re starting out today in the trading scene, I feel super bad for you, but I can’t say that I didn’t warn you with this giant block of a paragraph.

That brings me to my next topic: music preservation. It ties directly into this. There’s two main aspects to music preservation. One is keeping high quality copies of albums. The other is spreading music far and wide for everyone to hear. The second point listed is more important than the first. Music dies when there is no one left that remembers the melody. Who cares if you have a lossless copy of album x if no one cares about that band anymore because no one shared anything of theirs at their prime? They’re basically on life support in that case, just a few years away from being totally forgotten. 8-eit is basically an example of one such band. Trading is antithetical to music preservation because you don’t spread the damn music even if you preserve it.

Thanks for making it this far.

8 Likes

So I have no idea where to post this but I’m at Athens Greece and plan to post photos here, from the best, to the worst, a city filled with immigrants, Chinese, afghan Mongolians, Hindus, Pakistanis, Iranians, kurdish terrorists and normal kurds, Syrians, but no turkish people for some reason. And the only mosque in Athens. Beautiful artworks and I mean BEAUTIFUL WITH A CAPITAL B, Alot are tattoo savvy too, pretty looking bars with badazzle lights. From kind hearted people to real life rapists that I took videos of in the ghettos and a drug den, strip clubs to acropolis and museums which honestly no one cares about but I’m still gonna post, and oh boy I even found a hentai strip club but they don’t allow photos inside… Instead I took a video, oh and I took some photos of it from the outside, looked like a tool and a loser but fuck it. So a few more days and I will have a collective of the best photos and arts (really creative things) and I don’t drink and smoke but I’m thinking the last day should be special with a special photo.

2 Likes

To the guy who won’t fix the soda/slushie machine at QT, COUNT YOUR DAYS, IT HAS BEEN 3 WEEKS.

3 Likes
1 Like

omg Athens is such a cool city, I would love to go back again. have you been to Thessaloniki? I love there too.

1 Like

I’m in syntagma, if you have any suggestions on where I should go and take pictures of just lemme know I’ll definitely go to Thessaloniki soon.

Ofc if the plane tickets are cheaper I won’t bother with the busses and touring the whole goddamn balkans

2 Likes

The guitarist who shows thighs always has high shred power… prove me wrong?

5 Likes

I didn’t have time to post on here recently, but in the meantime my profile scored the first thousand likes <3

I love my haters more than my friends, but I appreciate every click of the little heart button you’re giving to me and my shitposting, thank u guise <33

11 Likes

That’s a superb purchase. Have you heard Evil’s other stuff? Rites of Evil was a complete surprise and really fucking good, but Possessed by Evil was on a whole other level. So fucking good and one of the very best black metal releases of the 2010’s. Perfect mix of Sabbat, Bathory, Abigail and Merciful Fate. Few thrashing black metal bands can brag about having leads this good. Mindblowing!

1 Like

Man, life is hard.

5 Likes