Regarding Yohio

you’ve just described ha『quintessence』 sis

I like that he apparently deleted some comments where he felt he went too far, but still kept the ones where he’s gushing about the brilliance of Family Guy’s comedy and defending the grifter Brian Rose.

child, racism is racism. it’s bad on all sides, even his alleged-nazi cronies

10 Likes

I remember this guy because I found him cute in his SKY☆LiMiT video. beyond that I’ve not been interested but it seems that the guy is somehow quite famous not only in his country of origin also in Japan. From what I see he’s also a bit of a jerk.

Nazi punks, fuck off.

3 Likes

In Japan, Western cartoons are viewed as anime, and comic books like Superman are manga. Just a matter of perspective.

I swear that recently, a bandoman said they considered Slipknot to be a visual kei band.

7 Likes

yo could i hear more about this :eye:

at your own risk:

3 Likes

oh and there was this:

they don’t do music anymore and transed into a model job

sorry, i should’ve specified, i meant hakuei being confirmed xenophobic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yeah, his full name is milo kevin spaceman (pronounced like spuh chemmin) lol

1 Like

I pointed out some fallacies in his argument regarding the music industry, which amounted to shaming SWs and acting like a total boomer, and he quote tweeted me and claimed that I claimed he promotes violence. So there is also that lol

6 Likes

I live in Japan and western cartoons are absolutely not viewed as anime. Neither are comics viewed as manga. The word for cartoon in Japanese is animation so maybe that’s why you are confused but if it’s not Japanese then Japanese people do not call it anime.

3 Likes

To be fair 90 percent of Japan is xenophobic at varying degrees but usually on the more extreme end.

1 Like

All I know is that Chisa from Acme said Slipknot was Visual Kei

9 Likes

“sorry, you have to be Japanese.”
Crap, guess I better tell that VK magazine to take me out of it,
and Edison to not put those big promo flags with my picture on it in front of their store haha.

But really, No Japanese person in the scene will ever share that sentiment.
People here recognize the roots from bands from the western scene and no one gives a f### about race here, only weebs online really do.

17 Likes

it’s just a whatever case, whatever ppl think about the definition of visual kei, like I said, I only care about the music cuz I only listen to music, not looking at it.

agreed, cartoon and anime are two different kinds of art. the same as comic and manga.

btw, as a native Chinese, I’d say most of Chinese are also xenophobic, expecially those who were born before 1980’s and who live in inland provinces, but not for me, I’m an internationalist and cough cough, um… straight-edge.

Yohio is a turd yah, never liked the guy’s attitude.
But calling him out for being white, while maybe just trolling him,
is racism so meh @_@
have lived in Japan 7 years and when you are the minority in a country that
has a huge love/hate history with your ethnicity trust me, there is specific racism
towards white people here, especially if you live outside of the english teacher/corporate job tailored to foreigners bubble. So that SJW ideology, while great for pushing forward progress in many fronts, is not perfect.

Best thing to do is just ignore Yohio, he is an ass and wont change, by trolling him you probably just stroke his ego even more tbh.

13 Likes

Yeah the racism stuff was out of line, but he still made it worse for him lol. I don’t blame people for thinking both sides are bad.
The whole thing is a mess but he was that dedicated to tearing his image, what little of one he had left, apart

The dude has become the Yuuga of the 2020s lol. Except less violent.

2 Likes

I think that this is a very interesting take, especially since a lot of the early development of visual kei was influenced by western artists like KISS and David Bowie. I’ve always thought that Visual Kei, whether it be the fashion side or music side of things, is a style that is for everyone, regardless of where you’re from, what your background is, etc., but I do have to agree that when you see a foreign Visual Kei band or a foreign member of a Visual Kei band, especially if they do not look like most Visual Kei artists, they do stick out like a sore thumb.

For example, I am not from Japan, nor do I have an Asian background. If you asked me to write a song that sounds like it would be performed by your average Visual Kei band, I could probably write one with almost 100% confidence in myself. However, if I decided that I would start a band that had your typical Kei fashion, whether it be Oshare Kei, Kote Kei, or even Wafuu Kei, gave my band an oddly structured name like Mil+k=SHAKE, and started performing at regular indie venues across Tokyo, there’s no way that myself, the people that might come to my shows, or the lovely people at forums like JRO, would seriously call me Visual Kei.

I feel like Visual Kei has distanced itself from it’s origin story and created such a set-in-stone identity for itself over it’s almost 40 years of existence that if someone who didn’t really fit into the style of Visual Kei tried to label themselves as Vkei, they would easily get laughed off. Hell, I don’t even consider Sekima II to be Visual Kei, and they probably use more makeup than any Vkei band. And if I stay in the U.S. and call my project Visual Kei, most people there won’t even know what that is, or might even clump my project with Glam Rock, since both of those genres are essentially the exact same thing.

But at the end of the day, the word “Kei” just means style. If you just call Visual Kei “Visual Style”, it could apply to literally any band that uses makeup. Kiss could be Visual Kei. David Bowie could be Visual Kei. The Blue Man Group could be Visual Kei. Slipknot could be Visual Kei. My Chemical Romance could be Visual Kei. Ghost could be Visual Kei. Rammstein could be Visual Kei. King Diamond could be Visual Kei. A million other Emo and Scene bands could be Visual Kei. I feel like if a foreigner called their band a “Visual Kei” band but just stuck to their own style of makeup or visuals rather than going with traditional Visual Kei styles that made them look out of place, and looked at the music side of the movement with absolute respect rather than someone who got into the scene with a Yoshiki stan’s viewpoint who ends up spouting out a bunch of bullshit on Twitter like Yohio seems to be doing, they would be taken way more seriously.

I’m sorry for going on a tangent. I’m not trying to rant, I just tend to make very long statements when putting my 2 cents in. I’m probably wrong about all of what I just said anyway.

7 Likes