The General Metal Thread

Oh hey, Vitriol released a new song recently (no word on any new album or anything yet), sounds lit.

I enjoyed their debut album, solid death metal.

1 Like

I didn’t see a thread for it, so I’ll ask here. Can anyone recommend bands like Lorna Shore circa 2021, i.e. since Will Ramos joined as the vocalist? Are his former bands in the same vein as his style now, and worth checking out?

Thinking Kin will be a really good release. Somehow Whitechapel manage to keep releasing fresh stuff.

I’m not super well-versed in this subgenre, but I think Shrine of Malice sound close enough!

1 Like

New Aquilus. First album in 10 years.

Just came across this band:

From the new Haiduk album Diabolica

It may only be the side project of the singer of Signs of Omnicide, but I really enjoy Salem Burning, and on an unrelated note, I can’t wait to see what No Signs of Life come out with after their debut single. Other than that I’m just waiting for the new Shadow of Intent album and any new Lorna Shore, but they probably won’t drop anything until spring since they’re touring atm.

Always late to the party, but wow now I see why Aisaku is such a fan of Rings of Saturn, definitely need to find more aliencore bands.

1 Like
3 Likes

So Assassination has been poppin’ off lately. Released a new album and an EP so far this year and they are both magnificent. Still straight up Black Magick SS worship to the bone, but with a hint of identity for sure. Still black psych rock/metal with fitting covers. Everything about the band is so over the top and corny it totally works.

1 Like

Only halfway through, but I’m safely saying that the new Archspire does not disappoint. :fire:

2 Likes

After the drama with Proscriptor McGovern and Vic Crom/Melissa Moore, Proscriptor McGovern decided to disband Absu and form Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû. I wasn’t very fond of either Absu or Abzu, but I was looking forward to this nonetheless. And this sure is a surprising sounding album. Proscriptor McGovern, Ezezu (ex-Absu), Vaggreaz (Daniel Gonzalez of Gruesome and Possessed) and Vorskaath (Agatus, Zemial, ex-Varathron) has really come up with something rather unique and different here. Much more technical and dissonant than Absu, but without losing the feeling of listening to Absu. Way better than both Absu and Abzu, but I will need a lot of time to let this sink in. There’s just so much happening, and there’s a constant flow of new and weird riffs from beginning to end. Very promising for sure.

It’s winter, which means it’s time to dig out some wintery black metal.

Paysage d’Hiver’s latest album, Geister, is such a massive release and such a huge step up from last year’s Im Wald. Like Im Wald it’s fairy clean for a Paysage d’Hiver album, but the overall style and songwriting of this album fits the production a lot better. It feels slower and more groovy, but without losing that wintery feeling. At 70 minutes it’s also pretty long, but it doesn’t feel long. Im Wald was 120 minutes, and it sure felt like 120 minutes. And it’s not like Im Wald was bad, the music just didn’t fit the production as well and it was just more of the same, just not as good or atmospheric. But with Geister he’s really hit a sweet spot for me. It’s gorgeous!

Norway’s ultra-production black metal trio is basically doing the exact same thing Paysage d’Hiver did before the full-length, just more often. 30 demos, 6 splits and several compilation albums since 2017. It’s not as good as Paysage d’Hiver, but it’s very good and the production adds a different flair for sure. Not heard the entire discography, but what I have heard is very good.

Trhä is a rather new band too, it’s raw and icy, but melancholic and triumphant at the same time. Sounds amazing!

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Evergreys latest album, it’s amazing!
Especially love the song Forever Outsider, hits home ^^;

A new band I recently discovered is Orbit Culture and have been listening to the album SHAMAN.
For those of you who are interested in shamanism and hightened states of consciousness might like this heavy brutal take on the ceremony.

1 Like

Having had Paysage d’Hiver’s Geister on repeat for several days I choose to give Im Wald a new chance and played it through a few times, and it was so much better than I remembered. Fuck what I said about the songwriting not matching the production, cuz it does. I was just totally off on that. However, it IS too long. Way too long. It should’ve been released as two albums, and both albums would’ve been phenomenal. However, when you release it as an album you should listen to it from A to Z, and that’s when it’s too long. I’ll give it 8/10, but if it was release as two different albums both would’ve hit the 9/10 for sure. Great, atmospheric black metal.

Cult of Luna dropped a new single last week

I’ll continue my recommendation of black metal suited for bleak winter walks. I could go with Immortal, old Darkthrone, Arcturus’ insanely huge masterpiece “Aspera Hiems Symphonia” (still a top 5 black metal album ever!) etc., but I’ll try to keep it to lesser known bands/albums.

Forgotten Woods is next up, and all their 90’s outputs are quintessential black metal. One of the first and most important depressive black metal bands, blending dark, cold and emotional riffs with catchy rocking riffs, creating something that was really unique back in the mid 90’s.

And a newer band, namely Mortualia which is one of Shatraug’s (Sargeist, Horna etc.) many projects. It’s pretty straight-forward depressive black metal, but it’s done really, really well and is absolutely worth your time if your into the likes of Austere, Wigrid and Nyktalgia.

Urdôl Ur - Seven Portals to the Arcane Realms

Epic and atmospheric black metal in the vein of Summoning, Caladan Brood, Emyn Muil etc. It’s really good, although I wish they’d gone even more Summoning as far as the drums goes. It gets a bit too standard and generic tbh. But it’s an excellent album, guys. Worth checking out!

1 Like

Merry fucking Christmas I guess.