The General Metal Thread

Hey, thanks for this project! I’m usually in the lookout for artists such as this but this one had slipped past my fingers in the weirdest of ways. Forwarded it to a few other people I knew would be interested and we had a blast with it, so thank you for bringing them up!

1 Like

Heey! I want to ask you something

Haven’t been too fond of his solo stuff (or the latest Immortal with Abbath), and I’m not too stoked about this either. But it’s good to see him back to his self-aware, over the top and silly self. Hilarious video.

2:41 in the video lol. God damn!

2 Likes

Hahaha looks like he’s having fun. I never gave Abbath a listen. Couldn’t get past the cover for his self-titled with his face plastered across from corner to corner.

Yeah, I wasn’t a big fan of either Abbath or Outstrider. I don’t think they’re awful, just a bit bland. I always thought Immortal’s All Shall Fall was a step in the wrong direction, and hearing that Abbath’s debut album was written for Immortal I am actually glad he got booted. All Shall Fall was mediocre, and Abbath was a worse version of All Shall Fall.

But I love the guy and wish him all well. He certainly puts a smile on my face, and I hope he’s recovered from his problems and difficulties and that his solo stuff does well. God knows he deserves it.

Him getting booted also gave us Northern Chaos Gods which holds up extremely well. Such a fantastic album!

1 Like

I wasn’t sold on the track, but god damn that is a cool cover. Do I see a reference to the classic Aleister Crowley pose? I think so. Awesome cover art as usual.

3 Likes

Badass cover art, badass video, badass song.

Holy shit that cover art :flushed:
Makes my inner cover art enthusiast satisfied, since there’s so much cheap crap everywhere nowadays

The details on this mf~

I’m a Ghost fan since day 1 - Prequelle yet wasn’t my cup of tea but it grew on me.
The “Seven Inches…”-ep was than a fresh release with cool new ideas.
But “Hunters Moon” and “Call me little sunshine” are a step back in my opinion. Those songs play it safe and I hope that there will be something more unexpected on the album (which has a really great artwork indeed!)

It’s the 6th of February and the Sámi national day, so let us celebrate them with this insanely good release:

A turbulent history of imposed Christianity and predatory colonialism along with suppressed feelings of dejection, frustration and resistance gave birth to seemingly impossible cultural synthesis in Northern Sápmi. In the early mid 1900s, people in some rural areas embraced both Laestadianism and Stalinism while still practicing elements of old pagan Finno-Ugric (Sámi) religion. Reetessä, the follow up to the 2019 release Kaanij, capture and canalizes chaotic energies found within these contrasts and brings forth a wrath that flames deep within the Laplandic soul. The music wanders from furious and unapologetic Black Metal attacks into sombre ambient territories. The lyrics are performed in the three main languages of this region; Swedish, Meänkieli and Sámi.

1 Like

Awesome progressive and technical death/thrash (mostly)inspired by space, aliens, sci-fi and stuff.

Cryptic Shift is just too good. I’ll highly recommend their debut album as well, but it kicks off with a 25 minute long progressive, technical and innovative death/thrash, followed by three songs between 5 and 7 minutes. It’s a lot to dig into and it really takes time to get into the album, but it is absolutely worth it. Insanely well-written and good.

Feels like a mix of Timeghoul, Nocturnus, Atheist, Blood Incantation, Voivod and Vektor, topped off with its own unique vibe. Top notch stuff!

Hot damn, the new Voivod album is excellent! They can do no wrong these past few years it seems. I’m continuously in awe of them releasing one kickass album after another, especially with this reinvigorated lineup after Piggy’s untimely death… Respect!!

1 Like

I can’t see anyone caring about this, but Satan is putting out another record and it sounds immense. Man, the story of this band is just immense. Releasing a proper classic in 83 with “Court in the Act”, as well as a great EP in 86 and a great album in 87.

In between this however they change their name to Blind Fury and release a fantastic album in 85.

Then they change their name to Pariah, and release two more great albums in 88 and 89.

Then they completely disband before getting back and releasing an album in 1997 under the name Pariah, which I have not heard.

16 years later they reform as Satan and release Life Sentence which might be the best example of an 80s (70’s actually!) band reforming after many years and releasing something incredible. This album is a demonstration on how to riff. Both guitarists helped form the band in 1979 and they are obviously born in the early-to-mid 60’s, but they riff with the intensity and energy of someone that is 19 years old.

Since then they’ve released two fantastic albums, and I can’t wait for the new one.

Btw: all of todays members played on the 1983 classic Court in the Act. That it awesome!

As a bonus:

This is heavy metal history. Holy fuck this album is amazing. Up there with the greatest of NWOBHM for sure.

1 Like

Anyone into Chapel of Disease here? They started off as a pretty straight forward death metal band, but have evolved a lot with each album and gotten more progressive with each release. Very much like Morbus Chron and Tribulation. But they kinda lack the depth and songwriting skills of Morbus Chron, and the finesse and consistent style of Tribulation.

They’re growing on me, just like Morbus Chron and Tribulation did after they shifted towards a more progressive sound, but Chapel of Disease just doesn’t hit me as quite as focused.

Their first album is straight forward death metal, no more and no less really. Good, but not amazing.

Their second album see them venture more into a progressive direction. It’s blacker, doomier, harsher and a lot more interesting. Haven’t quite gotten into it yet, but it sounds like their best album for sure.

But on their third album the songs are a lot more all over the place, and at times they just seem to have thrown some riffs together for the sake of making the songs longer. And the tone of the songs on their last album shift a bit too much. Goes from dark and harsh to melancholic to almost happy-sounding and back again. Just all over the place. Their first two albums are a lot more consistent when it comes to this. But I am enjoying it quite a lot, and will continue listen because it does grow on me with each listen.

After one brilliant EP and one brilliant single, Luzifer will finally unleash their debut album. The band features Stefan Castevet (Vulture, Quintessenz, Bulldozing Bastard etc), Steeler (Vulture) and G. Deceiver (Vulture), and if you’re familiar with the current underground you’ll know that these ain’t no nobodies.

The first release carried a strong occult heavy metal vibe ala Mercyful Fate, early King Diamond and Future Tense vibe, but they gotten more epic since then, and judging from this new release there’s more influences from Heavy Load. Sounds great and that chorus is truly amazing. So fucking catchy! Also superb cover art.

I’m in the middle of listening to Véhémence’s new album “Ordalies”, excellent epic medieval black metal just like their previous album! They’re really good at incorporating some tasty acoustic passages and occasional melodic vocals, as well as flutes, synths and other stuff to spice up the atmosphere.

Highly recommended, along with their previous full-length “Par le sang versé” (I still haven’t checked out their first album).

1 Like

Man, this is such a fun band. They’re goofy as hell, but they are well aware and just play along with it. A mix of raw black metal and dungeon synth with goofy instrumentations, utilizing synths and piano, melodica, mandolin, xylophone and more. They’ve gotten more and more over the top and goofy, but I highly recommend really giving this a chance. It’s taken me well over a year to really start appreciating what they are doing, but now I’m really digging their goofy ass black metal.

2 Likes

Haha, gotta love Old Nick! I only discovered him/them a few months ago via that first EP you linked above, best introduction. Loving the absolutely goofy and honest raw joy pulsating from these tunes.

Since then I’ve been making my way backwards in the discography slowly. Digging everything I’ve heard so far!

1 Like

Absolutely. There’s something very awesome about how they just embrace the goofiness, but never go full retard. They’re walking a very fine line, but doing it greatly.

Not quite the same goofiness about these guys, but they are absolutely goofy as seen in the video. Loving the new track, and I can’t wait for the full album to drop. Sublime band! Part Zouo, G.I.S.M. and Outo, part Samhain and Christian Death, part Sabbat and Venom, and part Bathory and Mortuary Drape. Unique to say the least.

1 Like

Another fairly recent discovery of mine, one I also love! :slight_smile: Can’t wait for their upcoming album.