Upscaling older VK PVs/Videos

The primary one I use is Topaz Video Enhance AI. A way to deinterlace videos is also usually necessary. You also need to have at least a semi-decent computer to encode with it, or it’ll take forever. ^^

I have an RTX 3060 ti Ill prob use that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

With a 3060-Ti you’ll be good. I’m using a GTX 1080 and it doesn’t take very long for me. I would play around with the models. Gaia by default is pretty good, but Artemis has gotten a lot better for certain LQ footage.

Spoiler

Erm, you can also safely “acquire” the entire software suite cough since all of it’s done offline. cough DM for details cough

Forgot to mention that I was unknowingly getting VP9 just with 60fps frame interpolation. Since I don’t really like soap opera look anymore I’ll be upscaling to 1440p from now on. So thanks @koutetsuhime for that tidbit. I actually used an RX 580 before grabbing a GTX 1080, and that made a huge difference imo (though it’s probably just b/c it’s a better card.)

1 Like

Yep, any RTX cards should be really good. I think those are a bit faster than other cards (I have an AMD RX 5600XT bc I’m dumb and didn’t grab the 2060 Super on sale). I’m really glad Topaz uses the GPU to balance the load because other programs don’t and my CPU sitting at 90C for a long time makes me nervous

For models, they added a new one called Proteus 6-Parameter and this one gives you a lot of custom control. I can’t wait to see more updated versions of it. Topaz seems to get quite good advances each month or so, I’m really impressed. But yeah, sometimes I spend several days testing settings, re-encoding, not being happy enough with it and trying again! Right now I’m trying to finish the last Fatima video up and I keep re-encoding it trying to get something just a bit better and not so blurry :sweat_smile: Sometimes there’s only so much you can do because of the source quality, though.

Last bit of the Fatima Last live dvd. This is the one that includes that infamous Lay and Mizuha kiss that people wouldn’t shut up about for a long time lmao (If you don’t know well, you’ll see if you watch it!)

I’m not 100% happy with it, but I hope the quality is acceptable. The original is painfully grainy… :sob:
2021-07-22_135530

I might go back eventually and make single song videos from the concert, but not super soon. I should be getting a Fatima VHS eventually. There’s just not enough Fatima video content sadly.
Hopefully I’ll be picking up some ネガ(Nega) soon as well (I’m in love with muddy cult and I need that pv in my life lmao). Still need to get that other UnsraW pv and live comp vid too.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for uploading these Fatima videos. I love them too. I’m always looking to find rare vids on them. I was just able to get the 2-disc set of this concert from Japan. Sometimes it’s so hard to get your hands on these things in the US. But it’s nice to see such a great quality version on YouTube now. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

1 Like

No problem! They’ve been one of my faves for a long time. I was so devastated by the kaisan in 2005 it took me a while to come back to them. I only finally got the last live dvd this year because I couldn’t afford it when it came out. I just wish I still had some of the TV/other video footage of them. All I have left are screencaps. I’m keeping my fingers crossed the Like an Edison special VHS works and is good quality. But yes, anything to spread the love of this band :black_heart:

Kind of wish we would have Abase and Quadrangle in high quality too. I don’t know if Deluge is in high quality on Youtube also.

1 Like

Those are on the DVD I’m hopefully getting soon (pretty sure it’s all their PVs). Should have it sometime next month at the latest, I think. I want to grab their concert ones too eventually.

2 Likes

That would be awesome. Yeah, the PV’s should be on the Visual Negativism dvd. I would love to see concert of Nega in high quality. There should be dvd for the Withoutrace concert.

1 Like

message sent

Friend asked me if I could do these videos for them, so of course I did! Was actually fairly easy for a VHS rip~

There’s 4, so I just made a playlist of the whole VHS:

3 Likes

Annnnd there it is!! So happy to have found a working copy to get it up asap! If it wasn’t obvious from the thumbnail, a very NSFW PV lol

Unfortunately I found out Quadrangle is corrupted/gltiched after encoding it :cry: So that one will have to wait. Haven’t checked the others yet.

7 Likes

More NEGA!

7 Likes

Thanks for your work. It’s lovely to see all these PVs in flawless High Quality. It’s really a huge step up from back in the day, when you watched a 240p resolution video on youtube that had so many glitches and you could count the individual pixels on the screen, haha.

I also wanna give a shoutout to Cantavanda (no idea if he’s signed up here), who has been doing great work updating several old PVs into HD:

5 Likes

Boy do I remember that. Still have some of those old super duper tiny videos on burnt CD/DVDs. If that aint a throwback, idk what is

Thanks for linking him! He definitely deserves a shout out.
I’d like to give a shoutout to Katt too for their hard work as well: Visual Kei Katt - YouTube

1 Like

More Nega, of course!:

And for my own amusement I threw these 2 up on my secondary channel:

4 Likes

Just kidding one more, I’m on a roll today but last one for now lol

5 Likes

Time for more Pumpkin Head!

and one more NEGA because I’m easily distracted and forgot to post it:

1 Like