Upscaling older VK PVs/Videos

More Nega! There’s still a few more remaining, some I need to buy a dvd to get probably.

Also I forgot to link this Litchi Hikari Club one from my other channel

And just uploaded, the making of the Pumpkin Head’s hakuri and ed gein PVs:

4 Likes

I had to grab this one from a stream since I long ago lost the actual file (I’m pretty sure it’s from TV anyway, so nothing to buy sadly), but it seems to look okay upscaled. More Fatima is always, always good after all!

4 Likes

Some more NEGA of course~
Will release the others over the next few days as well ^^

^i really love this song (well, i like both but there’s just something about this one)

4 Likes

Last of the NEGA for now. I think that’s all of their PVs? Will have to double check~

These are only 1080p, but I redid and uploaded each song from the Fatima last live DVD for easier sharing/watching. :black_heart: They’re all in the same order as the dvd, only missing the intro bit!

My recommendations:

This song is one that was one of their live-only songs and thus was never official recorded. Which makes me sad because it’s AMAZING. The mix of chaotic frantic energy, and then the eerie ominous storytelling from Sanaka… only to crescendo back into that frantic energy again. 10/10 I love it.

The song that started it all, basically. Without Downer we wouldn’t have Fatima. You can thank Lay (mostly) for that. We are… Downer!

And finally, if you are just super in the mood to cry, or watch an entire band cry… shizumu taion.

9 Likes

Been loving all of these, keep up the good work!

(Especially excited to watch Abase in not-240p or whatever it was available in… that song started my love affair with Nega/Jin)

3 Likes
>upscaled/deinterlaced Love is dead by Despa
>took like 2 hours
>upload
>gets blocked worldwive because copyright claim

1 Like

UMG is an infamous blocker. I wouldn’t even bother doing anything licensed to Youtube by them. You’re meant to just enjoy this beautifully high definition video courtesy of Universal Music Japan.

Oof, I’m sorry that happened. I guess much earlier D’espa is all that’s safe.
If it makes you feel better, I spent a lot of time on Dir’s Osaka-Jo Hall and it got blocked months later, haha

Can you upload it somewhere else or put it in a hidden playlist?

It would be so cool to see an upscaled HD version of La’Mule’s PVs… all I could find on the net are heavily compressed even when they claim to be HD. Generally it’s hard to find good quality PVs from the 90s… even when they are uploaded by the band/label it’s usually some low quality VHS recording and not the original master/video file (I look at you, Warner Music Japan)

3 Likes

Somebody has been working quietly and upscaled dozens of videos

6 Likes

I’m gonna lowkey be a hater for 2 secs and say I think the 30 → 60 FPS framerate stuff is a bad move. The resolution upscale is nice and makes for a really high quality image, but the high framerate makes the motion look unnatural to me… it no longer feels like the original music video.

1 Like

The kinda bad audio quality and the fact it’s 4:3 stretched to 16:9 though.

ROOM G. has the videos uploaded without any upscaling and they look better imo. My only complaint was their Sentimental VHS rip had mono audio, and I originally had my own reuploads with the stereo audio, but they understandably didn’t like it so I took them down

Yeah… I think it’s better to try and keep it as close to original as you can (same framerate, same quality audio) besides the basic upscaling. Stretching the picture is definitely NG in my opinion.

I love those old Madara Gazette PVs, but after losing my last even older channel to Gazette/PS Co, I won’t touch their stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, 60 fps is terrible everywhere except gaming

1 Like

I agree. 24 or 29.97 frames interpolated to 60fps looks odd. It’s really not the way anything was shot up until the HD era when higher framerates become affordable and technically possible on consumer grade cameras.

What I do is to double the 29.97 interlaced footage to 59.94 in a Premiere timeline. This isn’t creating new frames, it’s essentially making each interlaced frame it’s own unique frame. This basically preserves the original ‘video’ look of 29.97 while having it play smooth as a digital file.

You could encode a mp4 file with interlace flags but most software doesn’t even recognize then anymore by default and you have to manually turn it on in many programs like VLC in order to see it smooth as if on a TV.

And while I don’t upload anything to youtube, I don’t believe they recognize the interlace flags on files and simply just convert to same framerate which makes 29.97 looks less smooth.

This person who uploaded a really rare L’Arc~en~Ciel video from 1992 did what I would do, double the framerate to 59.94 so it plays smooth.

From an archiving perspective, you want to retain the source as close to the original as possible so I basically convert my VHS transfers into two files. The former to be true to the source and the latter for playback / sharing.

-29.97 with interlacing
-59.94 progressive

I think more importantly than this debate is being able to digitize the original source VHS. Capturing the tapes in a codec like Huffyuv and Lagarith using a proper SVHS deck and TBC will already make the raw capture look amazing. The resulting files even at 480p will usually blow people away because most people are used to watching multi-gen copies that have been encoded multiple times and are simply a soup of macroblocking. I even question the quality of VHS to DVD players and typical RCA to USB capture cards. Most are pretty limited in terms of their quality and btitrate.

And the one benefit of upscaling DVD sources before posting to youtube is that it forces the upload to get a higher bitrate so the effects of macroblocking are minimized to some degree.

3 Likes

And the one benefit of upscaling DVD sources before posting to youtube is that it forces the upload to get a higher bitrate so the effects of macroblocking are minimized to some degree.

This is why I started to do it. No matter how good the quality of the 480p file, Youtube would end up making it look awful usually. And even worse if below 480p. I was really impressed by how far along AI upscaling had come too, and it’s still making leaps and bounds now too. Doesn’t always work perfectly, but it’s amazing when it works!

1 Like

I think 60 FPS can be really hit or miss. Like, sometimes it looks really good, other times it just looks too off.

Thing is, these videos weren’t meant to be watched on digital flat screens, they were meant to be watched on a CRT screen. So you’ll never get around to seeing it how it’s truly “meant to be seen” unless you go through the trouble of actually filming the video being played on a CRT screen. Which would be a cool way to “rip” a VHS but is too much work.

So when making the transition to digital, I say do whatever works to make it look better. Some videos look really nice with 60 fps, while others are better in the original 30/25 fps. Some are better with no filters or AI upscaling, some could really use some post-editing before uploading. At the end of the day, if the video is clear and the audio quality is good, I’m good. Just no more stretching to 16:9, or worse, Academy Ratio shudders
Seriously, who still uses Academy ratio? It’s the uncanny valley of aspect ratios

4 Likes

For example, I think this PV really benefits from 60fps and the AI upscaling. Of course, it was only broadcast to TV, but I think most would prefer to watch this over the straight up low-quality broadcast rips we had before

6 Likes

Thanks to nick I finally got to do the last 2 UnsraW vids other than their final live DVD!
Here’s the -9- PV!

5 Likes