Visual kei anime, Visual Prison to begin airing in October

Man, this could be SO much better. Not a good representation of VK as well. I’m surprised no anime has really tackled this properly yet.

2 Likes

To my understanding, Golden Bomber is one of the few big names that wide audiences are aware of (without costing a bank and several kidneys like, say, L’arc en Ciel), so them being involved sounds like a marketing choice.

It’s supposed to air today and if it happens to be available on crunchy over here I am going to watch it lol. With 0 expectations.

Still thinking that I’d prefer an ARGONAVIS anime starring Fantôme Iris as the main band, since not only they are very more visual kei (though in that Versaillies way), the musicians involved in music DO hail from the vk scene ( YOUSAY from THE KIDDIE, Touma from CLØWD, kenzo from Ayabie, and Sato from Lc5 )

1 Like

I am sure because they don’t really have any talk with actually members of the scene.

Or they are scared of the problematics of the scene? :thinking:

4 Likes

At least they would have covered more segment of the visual kei scene but they just went with Versailles ripoff bands.

4 Likes

If only…

At least there would be something more interesting to see/hear. From Versailles they took only the “uuhrr Vampires…” stuff.

3 Likes

I’m already enjoying this on a ‘so bad it’s good’ level. Everyone seems to have a microphone that doubles as a sword, the CGI is horrendous, one of the band members is called Hyde.

6 Likes

Probably just afraid in general, otaku’s are fairly timid people and we are slightly terrifying XD

I’ll probably check it out this weekend sometime. I know it’s going to be really, really bad but damn that MAL rating is really making me wonder if it is even worth checking out. :confounded:

I was a little curious about Visual Prison but deep inside I knew that it would be a trainweck.
First 3 episodes were not good. The vampire/tournament theme is really cringy. Maybe it will get better. It is disappointing that the Anime is not addressing the fan scene of VK or the actual live house gigs and so on.
Also every band has the same instrumental band and the members are only singing - wtf.

The music is somewhat good I hope there will be a soundtrack.

8 Likes

(apologies for the necro) I just watched the first episode and it took all of my strength to not bust out laughing. I predicted that this was going to be terrible in a boring way, but I actually enjoyed it! Sure, its cringy, barely makes any sense, and it feels like something I would write when I was 11, but I guess I need some dumb, silly garbage now and then. I’ll probably end up watching the rest of it, even if just to torture myself.

1 Like

I had already forgotten that this trainwreck was a thing lol

I knew this show was not going to be a masterpiece and i was already prepared for some next level cringe but goddamn this is a whole tragedy. The fact that they are literally just idols is the most disappointing part, I really didn’t think it would be like that… And don’t even get me started on the vampires. I had low expectations but somehow they went even lower, just WHY :sob:

4 Likes

It’s funny because a few weeks before this was announced I was desperately looking for any kind of VK anime (or live action film), and was taken by surprise that there really wasn’t. It seems like it’d be a perfect subject for an anime, and it’s not like incredibly niche things have never been covered in anime.

Anyway it was pretty bad, dropped after 2 episodes. not really bad enough to be “so bad it’s good” to me, maybe just some of the CGI sequences. Didn’t really notice any references except maybe that older band was supposed to be X? I don’t really remember tbh. Also weird that one of the groups was treated like a Metal Idol act in that they had masked (?) guys playing instruments in the background…not really how VK works. Songs were pretty lame, just generic melodies and not really enough punk/(non-power) metal influence for my taste.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see X Japan as an idol band :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

They look actually good.
As long as they will actually stay on instruments.
This clothes don’t look like they would be good for dance movements.

1 Like

I thought that was just an easter egg thing but they’re on the cover of one of the BDs:

Looks pretty cool!

Unfortunately idol animes are probably more appealing to investors than anime with proper bands. I think there’s that one from Bang Dream but that’s it.

Idol anime = more character songs/merch = more $$$ from fans

4 Likes