Visual Kei in other media

Yes!!! I knew about this!! This is the TV show where we got THIS Glorious Moment: ISSAY: …FuHAKu!!! XDDDD

1 Like

Lets not also Forget DANDY TO WATASHI!!! (* ^ ^ *) :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Not VK direct, but JMetal
That youtuber made a video about it.
We had some disscusion about it on discord already.

So apparently that youtuber went with prejudice already into the video. He only did it because it was requested and he himself doesnt like Jmetal
Wich makes sense if you watch it and see how much he slanders the bands and fans.

*Shows a song for one second - “LOOK HOW BAD IT IS!1!”

This video could have been only two minutes long as he is always using the same argument. Annoying af.

1 Like

He’s pretty on the mark tho about some of these (non-vk) bands being just mediocre but competent copies of already mediocre Western bands, of which there are already hundreds out there… :smiling_face_with_tear:

You don’t want Vice in anything because then the end product will be something like:

“the hardships of black nonbinary transgender immigrants findig their place in Japan’s underground music scene”

7 Likes

After his video on prog-music, I completely checked out. Very misinformed.

That’s US Vice, not Asia Vice. I’ve seen the quality of both, they are not really the same.

Also quite ironic for a person with a username in reference to a Nazi would be against the documenting of minorities in a forum filled with minorities enjoying the music of social outcasts.

But fuck it, let’s meme

2 Likes

Anyone remember this?
Never read the interview myself, but I remember people discussing it back in the day. I’m not even sure it’s legit.

2 Likes

I will be honest with y’all: I don’t appreciate anything about the Japanese culture, other than visual Kei. I don’t care about anime, manga or even J-Metal in general, with some exceptions, but overall, Japanese entertainment to me, is cringe-worthy AF. However, I don’t see the need to keep talking shit about their culture just because I don’t like it. I’m a huge metal fan and I only got into visual Kei because of heavy metal, yet still I don’t see the need to keep slamming bands like Babymetal because of that. In my point of view it’s Just a Mix of some things from the japanese culture Mixed with metal. The same people that say nice things when people mix sounds from other cultures with metal are the ones that generally talk shit when it’s done with the Japanese culture, so it just sounds like straight up xenophobia to me. Don’t waste your time trying to rationalize it. It’s just prejudice.

As for the interview above, It’s obvious. The moment you see anything related to lots of makeup and styled clothing, of course it is going to be related to fashion in general and they wouldn’t want ugly people related to that, and if the style has visual in its name they, will obviously be more concerned with looks over the quality of the sound or anything else.

What does bother me is the fact that they will prefer to hire delinquents over nice people to do that, but that just Sounds like a pattern the Industry itself created. If they value talent over other qualities, the industry as a whole will become better, because when it comes to makeup and clothing you can make anyone look good, so it would make more sense to hire talented ugly people then to hire talentless good-looking guys.

As for the other things mentioned in the interview, it’s just like entertainment culture and show business in general. it has always been toxic and will probably always be and I don’t see why people seem to only talk about the bad stuff when they mention visual Kei. Sounds biased to me and as prejudiced as the video above. People are already against it from the start and will use whatever argument they can to disqualify the scene.

4 Likes

I’m part german so adding a little japanese fandom to that is just me reviving the anticomintern pact all by myself

Chrono Cross’ character Nikki

3 Likes

Chrono Cross is literally my favorite game of all time, but, as far as I can remember, there are no mentions of this dude being related to visual Kei at all in the game. it wouldn’t even fit the game’s lore…
It may be a visual homage by the Developers, but I don’t think so. In this case, it is quite the opposite, actually. Aesthetically speaking, VK is more influenced by anime and gaming, than the other way around. For example, character designs in the Final Fantasy franchise have always been a huge influence to VK aesthetics.
The only true franchises that comes to mind that have been confirmed by the developers themselves as being somewhat aesthetically influenced by visual Kei are Yu-Gi-Oh and the Kamen Rider series around the mid 2010s. Both franchises have employed numerous musicians from the scene as both providers of OST and actors, but they have stopped doing that, because apparently it wasn’t profitable. (I recomend you check their wiki if you wanna know more about this. There were actually a shitload of VK musicians involved in Kamen Rider projects. It was pretty cool.)
I remember a gag in the 6th Shin-chan movie with IZAM from SHAZNA and VAMPS playing themselves in another anime.
There were also some dating sim apps with members of VK bands, i.e. ボクはアナタに恋をする - 二人だけのラブソング (Boku wa Anata ni Koi o Suru - Futari Dake no Love Song) feat. Aoi from Aoi-168-, Yugiri from DaizyStripper, Mahiro from Kiryu, Mitsu from v[NEU], Yo-ka from Diaura, and Subaru from Royz (this one was even avaliable in english!); 己龍(kiryu) have their own dating sim, which’s the only one here you can still play, and there was also another one called P.S. I LOVE U GACKT released almost 10 years ago.
And speaking of GACKT, he spread a rumor that many still believe stating that the protagonist of Final Fantasy VIII was modeled after him, but it has been denied by the series designer at the time. However, GACKT was later invited to perform the OST, and provide the voice acting and motion capture for a character named Genesis Rhapsodos in Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-.

4 Likes

I still think it’s a loose reference, regardless of being called out as vk…

2 Likes

So I’m reading the manga “Judge” at the moment, which is kind of like a longer, more convoluted version of the prison game from Alice in Borderland, and one of the main villains up to this point in the story was just revealed to be a classic VK kusomen. :sweat_smile:

32-o

8 Likes

The 46th episode of Abaranger is titled “Praying! Abare Visual Kei”, and the enemy is a fortune teller dressed like a v-kei lead. Ep. 46: Praying! Abare Visual Kei | RangerWiki | Fandom

4 Likes

There’s a mexican show called ‘La Rosa de Guadalupe’. They made an episode about the ‘emo subculture’ and a poster of Ayabie can be seen at the begining, in the girl’s room. There’s also posters from Green Day, Tokyo Hotel and more.
This was realesed in 2008.

7 Likes

GASP OMG! :scream:
ABA! ABA! ABA-ABA! ABARENJYA! :musical_note:
MY CHILDHOOD!!!

1 Like

I believe most of y’all have already seen this doc, but anyway:

They start talking about VK around 11min into this vid. This doc is from the early 2000s. You can see people cosplaying as members of Raphael and AN CAFE and they also show posters of Naitomea and appui, besides featuring X JAPAN and SEX MACHINEGUNS more prominently.

9 Likes

Oh my fucking God, I remember posting about this back on MH. The treasures one can encounter in that telenovela series

1 Like