Visual Kei in other media

I found another one!
Manga: Dandadan, Chapter 52
Who do you call when you need music for an exorcism?
Apparently X Japan

No Taiji look-alike sadly
Here’s the full chapter if anyone would like to read it:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013088

11 Likes

There was this time I was watching a video about “Warau salesman” and then the narrator mentions the live-action adaptation (which is lost media, btw). The video shows the opening of the thing, and the song credits appear: it’s “Dear… my love”, by D-shade. I mean, it makes sense, since it’s a Japanese band making music for a Japanese dorama, but I didn’t expect to see their music in something like this, in a video like this. The channel is pretty cool, by the way.

4 Likes

It isn’t so unusual for VKei bands to provide OST for doramas. I just find it interesting that most of the times it comes from bands that aren’t signed to major labels. As I mentioned above, a shitload of bands provided OST for the Kamen Rider series over the years and I remember chariots once provided OST for some radio dorama, I think. Couldn’t find info about it online, but I remember it being announced back in the day.

In 2009 THE KIDDIE provided OST for the Shopping Program, ポシュレデパート深夜店 (Poshlet Depaato Shinyamise) during the month of October. Their song ‘BLACK SIDE’ was also used as the Ending Theme to the show, 小熊のベア部屋 (Goguma no Bear Heya) during the month of November.

Kagrra released a maxi-single with 3 OSTs. Two for doramas and 1 for a movie. I also have some faint memories of Kagrra, getting their own dorama and Kaya writing some chronicles that were adapted into an audio dorama for some online radio show or something like that. Not sure about that, tough.

This reminds me that 10 years ago Jinkaku Radio were supposed to provide the ending theme for an anime called Daily Lives of High School Boys, but their vocalist talked shit about one of its voice actresses and it got cancelled, LOL. They disbanded soon after that.

Also, Versailles got their own tacky-ass dorama. It’s awful, but at least they don’t take themselves too seriously:

4 Likes

Takanori Nishikawa (T.M. Revolution) is the star of a new ad for a mobile game for some doujin app called Arcadia Record, in which he cosplays as the main character:

And as mentioned in another thread, there is a new idol band/dorama project featuring some famous japanese voice actors called MAGATSU NOTE (マガツノート), which has been covering many Visual Kei songs as well as coming up with some of their own. In the video below you can see them sharing the stage with some VK bands, such as Arlequin, RAZOR & Hz:

2 Likes

HAKUEI from PENICILLIN had a pretty good side project called LYCHEE ☆ Hikari CLUB (ライチ☆光クラブ), which was based on a manga/anime of the same name, and when a live action movie came out they provided the soundtrack for the film:

VIDOLL re-recorded one of their biggest hits as the main theme for a horror movie called Gothic Lolita Psycho:

And I was trying to remember other visual Kei Bands that provided soundtrack for movies, games, animes, TV series, etc, but my memory sucks and this kind of information is hard to find on the internet. I do recall BUCK-TICK, Laruku, LUNA SEA, GACKT and GOLDEN BOMBER in particular providing OSTs for a lot of different media, but there are some other artists from the visual kei scene providing OSTs here and there.
I.e., didn’t MYAVI provide the soundtrack for one of those Hollywood movies he did? Drop the ones you know about in the comments below, please, it would be nice to have a list on that topic

2 Likes

Excuse me but both manga and anime was based on tokyo grand guignol’s act、and Furuya’s lychee is more like fanfiction (he saw the original act when he was in the high school)、so Hakuei’s lychee is fanfiction based on fanfiction。。。

5 Likes

Apparently he wrote this song for Arcane. That’s the only big composition credit I could find in his IMDb.

1 Like

Since ost are being talked about I remember gravity by Luna sea being on another heaven. I think there was a show and a movie but idr which one it was on…then the obvious one being dir en grey doing the soundtrack for death trance

2 Likes

So here’s what I could find in therms of OST for anime, movies, games and TV series:

Luna Sea

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet
Endride
I Love Tokyo Legend: Kawaii Detective
Kamisama mousukoshi dake

and this MMORPG

Miyavi

Blade of the Immortal
Mulatschag

Gackt

Moon Child
New Fist of the North Star
Mobile Suit Z Gundam: A New Translation - Heirs to the Stars
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Kamen Rider Decade
Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker
Kamen Rider Movie War 2010: Kamen Rider vs. Kamen Rider W & Decade
Sengoku Basara - Moonlight Party
Kamen Rider: Battride War
Mobile Suit Z Gundam III: A New Translation - Love Is the Pulse of the Stars
Mobile Suit Z Gundam II: A New Translation - Lovers
Mobile Suit Z Gundam: A New Translation - Heirs to the Stars
Texhnolyze
Tengoku wa mada tôku

L’Arc~en~Ciel

Edens Zero
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa
Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir
Fullmetal Alchemist
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Ring 0: Birthday
Great Teacher Onizuka
Godzilla
Rurouni Kenshin: Requiem for the Ishin Patriots
Rurouni Kenshin
DNA²: Dokokade nakushita aitsu no aitsu
DNA²

HYDE

Detroit Metal City
Nana
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Attack on Titan

Buck-Tick

Trinity Blood
Shiki
XXXHOLiC
Rocket Punch! Music Delivery
Nightwalker: Midnight Detective

Dir en Grey

Saw: The Final Chapter
Death Trance
Baki the Grappler
Super Radical Gag Family

Golden Bomber

Kamen Rider Wizard
Shibuya Note
Tokusatsu GAGAGA

Shô Kiryûin (Golden Bomber’s vocalist)

Kamen Rider Wizard
Kamen Rider: Battride War

MUCC

The Seven Deadly Sins

Nightmare

Death Note

Janne Da Arc made some One Piece ending as well as Ricky, ex-THE MICRO HEAD 4N’S, who was also involved in some Kamen Rider OSTs

Mitsuru Matsuoka (ex-SOPHIA) performed and acted in a shitload of Kamen Rider stuff:

Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate
Kamen Rider W Returns: Kamen Rider Eternal
Kamen Rider: Battride War II
Kamen Rider #4
Kamen Rider Battride War: Genesis
Kamen Rider Zi-O

as well as some other series:

Be Nice to People
Yamada Tarô monogatari
Samenagara miru yume
The Love and Death of Kaoru Mitarai
Hachioji Zombies
Komei
Kaisha wa Gakkou janen da yo
Kono koe wo kimi ni
Tokyo Decibels

Also,

• the lead singer from the band TOKUSATSU is a villain in a recent Kamen Rider special.
  • IZAM (SHAZNA) is one of the villains in the Sailor Moon live action TV series
  • GACKT is the main villain in Kamen Rider Decade’s movie and also shows up/is mentioned a lot of times during the series
  • GOATBED is responsible for the OST of an yaoi game called DRAMAtical Murder

This is all I could find/remember. I’m sure there’s lots more, but I don’t watch anime, so if y’all know other examples please drop’em in the comments below.

8 Likes

Also op for MEGANE-BU

2 Likes

Some esthetically pleasing moments for you.

DER ZIBET’s ISSAY with his other band PHI was recorded music for Kaori Yuki’s manga adaptation, 天使禁猟区

Speaking about 天使禁猟区, my favorite 黒百合姉妹 also gave some tracks for it

黒百合姉妹’s Juri and Lisa were covered GRIM, haha ( you need to listen to both original and cover)

It:s personal but I love this 闇の末裔 opening

The very first anime I saw and the very first time I met vkei was ヤマトナデシコ七変化、KIYOHARU’s SLOW so I also leave it here

and SID:s songs for 黒執事 (I’m fan of the series!) also fairly good even for me who don’t like 2000s vkei at all

3 Likes

Thanks for your contributions! This reminded me of some more:

and according to Wikipedia, ROUAGE provided OSTs for a lot of other TV shows

And, of course, as mentioned in my 1st post in this thread, Yu-Gi-Oh’s creator was a huge VK fan, so a bunch of VK bands were invited to perform for this franchise.

5D’s alone has songs by Kra,Alice Nine.,vistlip,ALvino & Plastic Tree

ZEXAL has GOLDEN BOMBER, DaizyStripper & vistlip

SEVENS has The Brow Beat

5 Likes

Screenshot_20220817-163814
Someone tell me those Sims3 pants weren’t VK inspired.

8 Likes

AN CAFE did the opening theme for this anime

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, as I don’t think there’s a need for a new thread fort this: Takashi Higuchi (樋口 隆) became 60 yesterday! He’s the oldest BUCK-TICK member, so I’m assuming he’s the oldest VK musician active nowadays. Is there anyone older than him?

7 Likes

In 2012 サウイフモノ(souiumono) got their own PC RPG game called “サウイフ物語~シスター村編~(souiu monogatari~sister-mura hen~)” that came with type A of the maxi-single “シスター村(sister-mura)”. Unfortunately, there seems to be no footage/image of this game anywhere on the internet, since their OHP is now dead and even the label removed videos from it from their YT channel, but I do remember it being very similar to early Dragon Quest games, in 8-bit style and all. If anyone can find anything else about it and post it here it’d be much appreciated. I also remember some other VK band getting their own game. I thought it was Jin-Machine or Psycho le Cému, but couldn’t find anything about it.

In September 2018 GOLDEN BOMBER appeared in an app called ジャンプチ ヒーローズ (Jumputi Heroes) where you can use them to fight with or against characters from Shonen Jump Mangas. They even appeared on a CM and made a PV for that, but the videos are all private on YT now. Here are some pics, tough:

and the unwatchable vids, in case they ever decide to make those public again:

Also, I remembered PIERROT provided the OP song for an anime called Get Backers

2 Likes

1 Like

So, I’m watching this video about Ing’s, a musical gadget from Yamaha. The first song tested on it is “Rusty nail”.

3 Likes

A demonstration of a Nokia 6700 phone with a Hizaki wallpaper. The guy also has another channel where he displays his entire Hizaki/Versailles collection, absolutely based.

At the 27:56 mark, there is a Japan-exclusive Mario quiz game where some of the questions include Glay and Shazna, and it even plays a sample of “September Love”.

7 Likes

I do follow the DYKG channel and I’m sure I’ve watched this video when it came out but I missed the VK reference there. Prolly because I was looking at my phone at the time or because I watch vids at like, 1.75x speed, haha.

I’m pretty sure, however, that it’s not IZAM singing in that vid. That’s definitely not his voice. Maybe because they did not have the rights to play the OG song so they just played another version or something. I THINK this song is a cover, in the 1st place, so who knows? Anyway, the other artists mentioned in the same question are Ryuichi Kawamura from LUNA SEA, Sharam Q (!) which’s a pretty obscure reference and Elephant Kashimashi, which I’ve never heard about, but they ain’t VK…

Btw, what’s the channel in which the dude shows his Versailles collection? I’m interested.

1 Like