Visual Kei in other media

this one here

1 Like

Interesting. Lots of YOHIO stuff there as well, haha. This vid caught my attention:

Never heard of it, but it was only released in Europe. Artwork looks kinda “VKish”, but only Versailles and SIAM SHADE are actually VK. Onmyouza and abingdon boys school are kinda related to the scene, as well, so ok, but that’s absolutely not “The finest of Japan Rock” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

SHIN’s newest song is the OST for a game called METALLIC CHILD:

2 Likes

ダウト (D=OUT)'s new digital single “Lucien” is the OST for a movie called My Name is Lucien (僕の名前はルシアン)

2 Likes

Just accidentally found out that FAIRY FORE provided 2 songs for the OST of an obscure Game Boy Color game called Devil Children:

Both songs were also featured in the anime version, which also contains a song by another visual Kei band called PlatinA Forest:

6 Likes

^ someone at Atlus must be a fan. Devil Children is a child-friendly spin-off series of the Megami Tensei franchise, and some of the Megaten games of the 90s referenced Visual Kei, such as the first two persona games:

The blue haired guy, Eikichi, even has his own sub-plot in the games about trying to form a VK band and become famous, lol.

A more recent spinoff game, Sould Hackers 2, also has a VK-ish character:

5 Likes

HYDE’s latest single “PANDORA” is the OST for “Star Ocean 6 - The Divine Force” released for PS5/PS4/Xbox Series X|S/Xbox One/PC last week. There’s a MV and an interview with him for the occasion on the developer’s Youtube channel:

Also, as you can see in the thumbnail for the video in the middle and the picture below, there’s a special illustration made by the game’s designer of HYDE wearing one of the game’s armors. HYDE himself is not featured in the game, tough.

Speaking of which, in 2017 L’Arc〜en〜Ciel had a collab with Resident Evil:

The band was also featured in some VR event that’s not avaliable anymore

3 Likes

“Sinners” by Nightmare was the opening title for an anime called Duel Masters King last year.

An anime version of the band with its protagonist is featured in both the CD cover and a special card that came with it. The illustration is the same in both cases:

They made a lot of OSTs throughout the years, most notably for the anime Death Note.

They also appear as themselves providing OST for the movie 20th Century Boys with one of the movie’s characters on stage:

2 Likes

HYDE has been making a lot of money with OSTs lately. This time it’s with the song “TAKING THEM DOWN” for a pachinko machine based on the Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) anime:

Btw, the lyrics for this song seem to reference the classic 1984 song for the 1st OP of the anime:

1 Like

Was checking out some old games I have here and guess what I found out, to my surprise? Fucking HYDE again! Dude seems to be following me, whatever I do… Anyway, he made a partnership back in 2017 with BANDAI for a game called Code Vein with his old band, VAMPS:

Turns out there are two songs by the band in the game. UnderWorld is in the intro:

and you can hear the full version of this song, and another one called “In This Hell” in game once you beat its 1st boss and have acess to a jukebox:

There’s also a message by the band in the game’s OHP, which’s still up.

1 Like

There was more than one V-kei Dating Sim. There was one that had Yo-ka voicing himself I believe. His was arguably the best route. You’re the daughter of the head honcho manager. It was cute. I played it on android and got me a little teary eyed sometimes but I’m a sucker for VN and otome games in general.

ボクはアナタに恋をする - 二人だけのラブソング

Here’s it’s entry in the Visual Novel Database

Aside from this, a lot of the artists and publishers at Square Enix are v influenced by Vkei designs cough Sena.

EDIT: Really wished I had screenshots of this one, there’s not a lot of information about it online anymore, I remember I bought one of the paid after stories as well, I think for Yo-ka. FAKE STAR was the publisher for this one and a couple of others though.

1 Like

Speaking of visual novels, the LEM - ハロウメロウ became the OP for otome game-based short movies around nutrition education. The initial promotional event was held at Village Vanguard, and Shokurevo subsequently evolved into a radio talk series that ran from 2017 - 2019.

https://shokurevo.com/product

https://mobile.twitter.com/shokurevo

Not explicitly vk, but he looks awfully like a vk bandoman or host. Art Crafter makes some neato antique diy projects and and documents his process.

1 Like

Well, that is because he IS actually a VK musician. Turns out he composes the OST for his vids and seems to have a nice guitar collection. If you check his Instagram account you’ll notice he performs as musician often and he even tags his own posts as VK, so yeah, definitely a VK dude, as also confirmed by the comments on his YT channel whenever someone brings it up

2 Likes

I will never understand why someone would decide to let Golden Bomber do an anime OP

4 Likes

True. Why golden bomber of all bands?!!?

They are basically standing against all values of a rock band. And I am sure the rock image is what was most important for the Yu gi oh animes in this case

3 Likes

This is more of a fan project, but I had to share it anyway, because I just remembered that this video exists and I’m sure most of you haven’t seen it:

It’s a very simple, but very cute pixel art reimagining of what if Pokemon was with visual Kei musicians. It’s interesting to see how the artist went as far as providing the voice for the Pokedex entries he came up with for each musician, which are the vocalists of the following bands, in this order: D/AN CAFE/MERRY/MUCC/the GazettE/A9/Naitomea/Sendai Kamotsu/Janne Da Arc/Dir en Grey

Also interesting to see how all of these bands are still somewhat active, except for Jane da Arc, given that the video is from 2009…

4 Likes

its also a book? by who?