Vocalists with a signature vibrato style?

Who are notable vocalists that use a lot of vibrato? I always go back to the gold standard of Kiyoharu, but there’s also Tsuzuku from Mejibray, Yami from DAMILA. I’m sure there’s plenty more I haven’t been aware of or just haven’t noticed? Kiyoharu has that effortless vibrato that isn’t forced like a lot of people try to do which can damage your vocal chords.

1 Like

Sono from matenrou opera is propably the king of vk vibrato, Akuto from chanty is up there too

5 Likes

Can I mention Jojo with his wacky ass yodelling vibrato?

10 Likes

There was someone else who did this too but it escaped my mind

ZOMBIE’S Kanata has a pretty good one.

2 Likes

Morrie from Dead End is one of the real OGs of vi-i-i-i-i-ibrato-o-o-o-o~

3 Likes

Fuki from Unlucky Morpheus and Marina from Mardelas. Check out their first album, Mardelas I, a lot of vibratos there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah idk how I forgot about MORRIE.

Kurosaki Mahiro (Kiryu) with a very long vibrato
(I genuinely like it bc I have learned the same vibrato on the violin)

Kamijo with a very quick vibrato, which he shakes his head by

3 Likes

Both happen to be my favourite female vocalists for this reason.

For OP, you can try Juka. He has solo works and bands: Moi dix moi, Hizaki Grace, XOVER, VII-Sense

It is so cute when he does this

2 Likes

Tenten’s forced, amateur esque vibrato style is how I learned in hs lol

3 Likes

Hail to the king of fast caprino vibrato:

GACKT has undoubtedly one of the most iconic vibratos in VK, influencing a lot of the late 90s and 2000s vocalists. His vibrato always sounds naturally in place never using it as a crutch to sustain a note.

+1 for Fuki

Taking the vibrato to the extreme is this incredible lass, that I didn’t think could get any better. But then you have songs like REASON where you have no idea the vibrato could be used as a sonic weapon. Unreal.

6 Likes

Shin (ex-ViViD) and Shou (Alive Nine) got some lovely vibratos imho.
Takanori Nishikawa tooo omg (does that count even tho ABS isn’t v-kei? haha)

1 Like

I guess the tricky part of your question is finding vocalists with a ‘signature vibrato style’, meaning their style of vibrato is different from other vocalists. VK in general as a genre/culture is really distinguished by the fact that so many vocalists heavily use vibrato, more so than in other genres in japan, and far more than the rest of the western rock/metal scenes. It’s one of the things a lot of people struggle with who are VK-outsiders.

I think a lot of weaker vocalists tend to use overt vibrato to cover up their weaker pitch accuracy.

After years and years of listening to VK, I’m always most impressed technically by Satsuki (RES), Yasu (Janne, ABC), and Yuugiri (DaizyStripper). They have been on point for every recording of their career! Something I can’t say for other vocalists, even the ones who I probably enjoy more at their peak, but showed a more clear maturing from their indie days (Miyavi, Ruki, Shou, Tatsurou).

5 Likes

Asagi from D utilizes a lot of vibrato. I also remember Khala (Malice Mizer) and Kaya :smiley:

4 Likes

the time asagi went vibrato overkill :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yomi the singer of Nightmare. But he clearly overuse it… sounds ridiculous to me

1 Like

juka/shaura is the gold standard for this, imo. a lot of my friends who don’t like vkei think the vkei vibrato sounds goofy but honestly it’s part of the reason i fell in love with the genre in the first place, it sounds so cool to me

4 Likes

I would like to share this one from akuto

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a “signature style”, but I really like Ryo’s (Virge) vibrato

3 Likes