What are you watching?

Christmas Evil (1980) and Game Over (1989) were two of my stand-out favorites. Game Over is a French feature about a rich kid fighting off a crazed guy dressed as Santa trying to murder him. It’s more interesting knowing that it cam out a year before Home Alone and the creator even sued, claiming Home Alone was plagiarism.
Also, Anna and the Apocalypse (2017) may be my favorite so far. It’s a Christmas comedic musical zombie film. If you mashed together Shaun of the Dead and La La Land, you’d get Anna and the Apocalypse.

1 Like

@patientZERO @platy I’ve read tons of Ito’s stuff! :slight_smile: I agree about the animation style and its quality is not the best but some stories definitely creeped me out :disappointed_relieved:

@fefelipar - Did you read the latest book that came out (at least here in the States) Remina? That may be the weirdest thing of his …

Yesterday’s Christmas movie was I’m Dreaming of a White a White Doomsday (2017) and was pretty boring, to be honest. Nothing much happens and then the movie just kind of ends … I was a bit surprised that Brian Keene (famed horror author of The Rising had produced the film, but it just didn’t resonate with me. 4/10

1 Like

@patientZERO not yet! It’s on my Amazon wishlist though. The last thing I’ve read from him was No Longer Human (based on my fav book)

Currently working my way through all the Studio Ghibli films on Netflix, They do vary in quality, although none of them are duds (yet). Princess Mononoke is still my #1.

The Mandalorian (S1). Without spoiling anything: It’s not bad… it’s okay. Better than the last three numbered films for sure (not exactly a difficult task). I’m finding it often slow and the episodic format is honestly a bit tedious. Doesn’t really feel like it’s going anywhere. I think we’re supposed to care about a particular character but I just don’t.

Cobra Kai. Liked it at first. The teenage angst got old. Maybe it’s because I’m old. Feels like it’s aimed at someone 1/3 my age. They could have tied up a decent story in one season rather than dragging it out over at least three. Last couple of episodes of S2 were not particularly enjoyable (in my opinion).

Junji Ito, because we’re talking about him. Ignore the animes and movies. I don’t think any of them are good. Excellent mangaka, though. I have several of his books. Hellstar Remina is a bit meh. I’m waiting for Black Paradox to be translated officially into English; that’s my favourite of his longer stories.

If you like Ghibli, i’d recommend HBO Max. They have the rights for all streaming distribution for Ghibli from here-on-out. They have every Ghibli film that I can think of.

Been watching the netflix kdrama Sweet home.
It’s horror/thriller. It’s about survival and about bizzare monsters and people can be infected. Imagine covid turned out like this was so my thought x3 anyways really cool drama to watch!

Unfortunately, HBO Max is not available in the UK…
Also, one streaming service is enough for me.

That’s on my list, too. It looked pretty cool based on the trailer alone.

1 Like

Worth to watch it! Also Alice in Borderland is really good too! It’s a survival dead/alive game. ^^

1 Like

I also have that added to my list! Haha!

1 Like

Added both! Alice in Borderland looks pretty cool! Even dubbed in french haha, I’ll check that out, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been tempted to watch Alice in borderland! Honestly I’ve just been watching and reading jujutsu kaisen :x, fire force (season 2 just ended) Mob psycho 100 and rewatch old horror movies and the undoing on HBO

1 Like

I just finished watching Wonder Woman 1984 … and holy hell is it awful. It’s 2 hours and 35 minutes long and an hour of that is completely unnecessary. It’s not even laughably bad. I’m glad I didn’t watch it on Christmas because that would’ve really put a damper on the holiday.

I just spent less than 1 hour finished watching “幼女社長” (youjo shachou), a short anime series.

1. you can’t go wrong with KADOKAWA SHOTEN
  2. you can’t resist the charm of 日高里菜 and 金元寿子 (I totally can’t!)
  3. you can’t deny the cuteness of the characters.
  4. it’s not long, only 14 episodes, 2-3 minutes per episode.

ep 1 is free to watch on their official website below,

Anime : Neon Genesis Evangelion …better late than never

TV-show : The Undoing (HBO limited series) with Nicole Kidman

Always. It’s never too late to watch Eva.

2 Likes

As with almost all anime, the manga is way better. In Evangelion’s case, it’s significantly different, too.
The manga also doesn’t include the ludicrous episode where

Spoilers

Asuka is inflated like a balloon.

It’s like if deviantart-level fetishes were canon, before deviantart existed.

After finishing Alice in Borderland (which is worth watching for sure), I tried to give Sweet Home a shot, but gave up about three episodes in after hearing the same Imagine Dragons song four times …

Now I’m on to watching Smoking which is pretty good so far. It’s like Dexter vs the Yakuza.

1 Like