What attracts you towards a band besides their music?

Usually their aesthetic. Some I usually fall for are: pseudo intellectual edginess, 90’s goth, traditional Japan, internet nostalgia, overly polished fuckboi metal, kawaii future girl, to name a few

This often isn’t enough though, eg: I loved R-shitei’s aesthetic but I only like a few of their songs

2 Likes

It’s just like irl, you’re judged by your looks and memorised by your thoughts of course it all comes down to first impression and screw that up, show yourself quirky or childish and that’s it. No one would give half a shit what you have to say if you look like a dreg. That’s why late 90s underground idol groups are my favorite. The way they dress, their manners and interactions it doesn’t feel contrived.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong, so far what I’ve rummaged through bandomen don’t really use social media themselves and those who do are weirdos. I don’t mind. Loners tend to show themselves openly when there’s a glass door in between or are 3 continents away. I should be psyched that I managed to talk my way into their lives but it’s just not enough you know? Feels like catfishing, using emojis online, could never bring myself to do that. And I can’t know if it’s for real if I can’t see them irl.

What bands did you rummage through that you think they don’t use social media on their own?
:thinking:

All bands i listen to or follow up manage their own accounts and usually the band accounts too.

Also, why is using emojis cat fishing for you?

1 Like

Release rate, venue-size (hall class only for finals), worldview, aesthetic, and then all the requirements for the bassist.

Namely: Attractive, not terrible at bass, not a guitarist turned into a bassist because they needed one, blood type B/O (this half an in-joke, half an attempt at limiting my honmei number), 168cm or taller (I round for Chigusa), has some solos, and most importantly I have to like him

Helps if there’s an interesting dynamic between the members and if someone is an idiot. I swear I fall more in love with Kanata every time he opens his mouth, the whole cheese-thing from yesterday had me dying (thank you Kato-san, you are a blessing, I cannot thank you enough for the whole unicorn incident).

1 Like

You’d think that these bands are a fraternity, going to that one disney world in japan at the same time. You know what scratch that, you’re right, spoke out of my ass, pardon my french I was wrong.

You know your priorities :weary::relieved:

1 Like

Main thing after music are members personalities ( I like those who understands jokes) and interaction with fans.

4 Likes

Haha tbh sometimes the only thing that attracts me to a band/artist is looks because the music they make is dreadful (like Hakuei’s singing), and I suppose the other way around can also happen.

I’d say there’s a lot that goes into a good band but sometimes just the chemistry of the members is enough to gain a fanbase. (Let’s not forget good visuals)

4 Likes

Tbh the name of the band or the looks of the members.

For me it’s when members can cross dress successfully as a guy and no one can tell. Or just are dark and gothic enough. I’ll check out your band and see if your good. Also If you got pink hair or red hair and have a solid band look. For some reason vkei bandmen with those hair colors got interesting bands.

Koichi (ex-Mejibray)
minpha (ex- pentagon)
Misery (ex-megaromania)
Etc…
Just to name a few

Sometimes I just check out a band cuz a friend recommended it based on common interests. It’s always good to find someone who has similar tastes :smile:

2 Likes

To me, the visual aesthetics of a band is what really draws me in which is also one of the reasons I love malice mizer. The way a band can captivate so many looks and tells stories with their looks and intricate costume design is so beautiful

images (5)

3 Likes

This is why I love Malice Mizer

2 Likes

For me it’s the classic style . Especially stylizing Medevil or Victorian.

1 Like

Very true

1 Like

Lyrics

3 Likes

Interesting aesthetic, something that’s a little bit different from other bands. If their look catches my eye I am more likely to try out their music because it makes me more curious about them. If a bands aesthetic is super bland and boring it kinda turns me away from them because I assume their music might be that way too, idk.

Bands that interact a lot with their fans also pull me in, and also the members personalities ( or the characters that they play ).

1 Like

I think grown up behavior always attracted me. Like, posing and showing off is not for me. Tearing apart their t-shirt on stage just to show how sexy they are just gives me the opposite impression.

If there is some hidden story or important topic music is about, it’s even more interesting. Most of the rock music is actually a rebellion, and a way to say what you have to say.
I also find attractive good looking men, I mean, since you are on stage, you can’t perform in dirty clothes or overweight, it’s a show business, not just music.
I find attractive being a little crazy, being honest, bold, in a good shape and not forgetting where you start from. There’s nothing more unattractive than thinking since you got some success, you are the best. Not being shy but respecting your buddies, your fans and yourself.

I am very drawn to the visual part. I like it if I have something visual I can connect to a song in my head, like PVs. That applies outside of vk as well. I often come to like songs that were in a movie scene or that someone used on a video about a show/movie.

Of course I also like it very much if the members are pleasing to look at. And I just love a lot of vk outfits. I wanna wear that, too!

And there is also nostalgia, of course. Even if newer songs might be not so much my thing I will still learn to love them. How could I start to dislike them after all the comfort they gave me?

1 Like

You know there are artists that can proof you wrong on that.

I agree artists should pay their taxes

If they have some sort of concept as a band or just ideas that are interesting (to me lol).

or when they geninuely have fun as a band, whether this affects their music (like what direction it takes) in a good or a bad way is another matter.

still kinda talked about the music I guess

1 Like