What vk music would you share to someone who has never heard vk?

I don’t know if there’s a thread about this, I searched but found nothing if so mods please help!

A semation. What would be the first song you would show to someone you like or would like to impress? I would show nightmare - nazuki, perfect for summer with that beatles style.

1 Like

So, you’re asking for visual kei dating tips? :thinking:

2 Likes

I would just list with my current favorites something like:

• MEJIBRAY - Decadance
  • ZIGZAG - Requiem
  • Royz - Teardrop
  • Diaura - ENVY
  • i.D.A - Live in EviL
  • HAKLO - Aimai Identity
  • MEME - Yokujyou Shangri-la

It’s a variantion of many kind of styles ;'D

3 Likes

Show them DIMLIM’s MISC. and go into a long diatribe about #TheEssence, and if they’re still there afterwards you’re solid and they’re sold.

4 Likes

I decided to never associate with the plebs who haven’t heard of VK anymore, so I won’t be recommending anything to them x

2 Likes

I think it’s better to do a smooth transition rather than throw them shit way too weird for a newbie.

For example, dexcore is a cool band to introduce to someone who already likes metalcore. Chanty could be interesting for people who digs indies… plastic tree stuff for shoegaze-y fans, siam shade for hard core, baroque has some dream pop, great guitars…

Vocals can be a huuuuuge turn off for some people, so I’d avoid whiny voices in general

4 Likes

I would be a simple man
and start with The Gazzete
and later just throw some Mejibray and Gallo

2 Likes

Only right answer is the live version of Le ciel from merveilles ~終焉と帰趨~ l’espace

There will never, ever be something to top peak Malice Mizer in terms of aesthetics, music, theatrics and showmanship.

4 Likes

That depends on their taste in music because I think it’s best to go by something they more easily can relate to instead of just dropping something on them I love whilst that might not be their cup of tea.
I most likely would go with some Gazette or Dir en grey or also DaizyStripper, if I know they don’t mind voices like Yuugiri’s. But which song really depends. If they were more about the “sunny” side I’d go with some SuG or maybe older Ayabie stuff. Or again DaizyStripper. xDD

2 Likes

Drop 'em in the deep end with Dir en grey’s Obscure PV, and then maybe follow it up with Nega’s Muddy Cult PV of course.

No, but really, it depends on where they’re coming from musically. If they’re a metal fan, I’m more than likely gonna show 'em Versailles, Aikaryu, maybe Deviloof or something. If they’re not, I’d probably avoid the heavier bands. In general, I just share my favourite bands and hope they end up loving them too lol

This masterpiece

4 Likes

Really depends on what they like and their tolerance to weirdness. Maybe start with stuff like Luna Sea and XJapan. You can even show them Dir En Grey ballads if they don’t like heavy stuff. For something modern, Dimlim’s Rijin is pretty accesible single I think. Plastic Tree could work for them too, Puppet show and Parade are great accesible albums.

If they like heavy stuff things get easier I think.
The GazettE’s stuff if very accesible for newer fans.
Deviloof’s Devil’s Proof was first deathcore album I could listen too on repeat so it could work for someone else too.
Even though they are not VK, Maximum the Hormone are very fun and pretty accesible even though they are a weird band.
Or maybe you get some kind of pleasure out of people’s struggle, so you can start with bands like Dimlim, Nazare, DEG.
This is kind of random list but it really depends on what that person likes and what are their experiences with music overall.

3 Likes

the first VK band I showed one of my friends were Gulu Gulu.
This was most probably a mistake.

4 Likes

In the past from what I remember I’ve used: Obscure by Dir En Grey, Muddy Cult by Nega, Goujinsangoku by Deviloof, Kui by Doku, Ideal by Nazare, Aharewata by Dimlim, Higanbana by llll-Ligro-, Oboreru Sakana by Dadaroma, Can’t Come Back by meth., Genocide and Mass Murder by Deathgaze, Under the Shit by Lustknot, The Daylight by Coderebirth, Omae Mitai na Yatsu ga Shineba ii no ni… by Morphine, Apocalypse by Crucifixion, and B.R.N by Insanity Injection, but I make sure to tell them this is just my taste and that it’s a small fraction of what you can find in vk.

1 Like

Hahaha, it’s not like that! Just something to show when the mood is right.

I’d go with whatever is the most similar to that person’s tastes. Might throw in a favorite song or two.

2 Likes

I mean, realistically, NOTHING.

4 Likes

that one kirawaremono song with the fucking yankee doodle melody and then block them forever

3 Likes

I second this too. I have had a few people who thought VK was extremely weird or tacky, but I managed to make them interested in Malice Mizer’s music. I think they are by far one of the most accessible bands, especially the Gackt-era stuff. Tetsu’s vocals may be too acquired a taste and the Klaha era is maybe too dark for some people - the Gackt era manages to blend the early and later stuff with a nice pop tinge. Their theatrical stage perfomances also help to make their over the top visuals more grounded, because dressing up that way has kind of a purpose, I guess. Either way, my friendos were intrigued by MM’s stage antics and how that related to japanese Kabuki and theatre and so on.

I also found LUNA SEA and Buck-Tick were similar. Even my mum likes a few of the more balladesque songs, and she usually dislikes Rock music. From there you can always try to share more extreme and edgy VK. I feel showing someone the Obscure PV without context and prior introduction to VK will end in failure, lol.

1 Like

Show them this one hell of a banger and then never talk to them ever again

3 Likes