Your favourite covers by Jrock/VK bands

Here’s a fun topic: what are your favourite covers in Jrock/Vk? Whether they be covers of popular hits or hidden gems, from the west or east, serious or silly, show 'em off here :smiley: I’m looking forward to hearing something interesting!

One of my absolute favourites has to be FLOPPY’s cover of Video Killed the Radiostar by the Bugles. It has such a fun and silly energy to it, plus I love the 8-bit take on the song

Keeping to the Piko-Piko theme, Toda (one of the members of FLOPPY) and Shimizu of Shinjuku Gewalt made a cover of Sejou by Miyuki Nakashima. I love how their cover completely retools a solemn ballad into a club banger

I don’t think it’s online but COSMO-SHIKI’s cover of Rock Me Amadeus is also a banger i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶I̶’̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶Y̶T̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶n̶e̶l̶. Also, Sex on the Beach by cali≠gari is pure sex.

Not everyone knows this but one of SHAZNA’s biggest hits is a cover: Sumire Spetember Love. It was originally by the 80’s Japanese new wave band Ippudou

It’s fairly common knowledge but not everyone knows that Nocturnal Bloodlust made a cover of a Taylor Swift song. Good on them for improving it :+1:

Here’s a case of cover-ception: Plastic Tree’s cover (renamed “Inori”) of “Turn Turn Turn” by The Byrds is also a cover of Pete Seeger’s song (of the same name)! Crazy

So what are your favourite covers in this scene? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

AND - Rocket Dive

3 Likes

Pegasus Fantasy has been covered numerous of times, and Sadie took a stab at it.

From the same album, Matenrou Opera covered the song, Tamashi no Refrain.

Vidoll covered Kalimero’s, Aoi Tori, and Kalimero covered Vidoll’s song, Occult Proposal.

Jiluka released the single, Polyhedron, filled with several cover songs, and one of my favorites on it is Fukai Mori originally by Do As Infinity.

5 Likes

Girugamesh’s last song “Samidare” (MUCC cover) sounds like a song they would have done in 2005 which was their best era. It’s such an amazing song that’s even better than their recent releases before the disbandment.

4 Likes

Perfection made cover.

6 Likes

queen of not leaving VK to die crowning this thread x

3 Likes
2 Likes

shimmying into 80s pop for my favs, which are…

yoko oginome’s cover of angie gold’s eat you up. i used to think my mother was terrorising me with this song but then i grew taste.

her cover of venus is great too…god, she had a lot of great covers. ok, one more.
coffee rumba, a cover of sachiko nishida, whose song was a cover of moliendo cafe. the peanuts did a lovely coffee rumba too, but it doesn’t come with a fun video, so it gets the axe.

and!

yoko nagayama’s cover of two of hearts. despite the whole appeal of the song being the production, i just think it’s lovely.

4 Likes

Since we’re up for a nostalgia trip I’m going with this cover of DEAD END’s Spider in the Brain. The tribute album has a stacked line-up but this version of the song with Tetsu really stood out.

Since I was only familiar with his tenure in Malice Mizer it came as pleasant shocker when I heard his heavy and gritty rendition of this DEAD END classic. Quite an 180 from his Malice Mizer days.

4 Likes

1 Like

More covered my favourite umbrella song a while back. It’s a lot more laidback than the original, but I thought their version was pretty cute.

3 Likes

This is my favorite cover song of all the time.

6 Likes

DIR EN GREY - Warsaw no Gensou (THE STALIN)

12 Likes

This, apparently.

6 Likes

This may be a weird meta response, but I like ROTTI’s “cover” of Asian Kung-Fu Generation’s song ソラニン (Solanin) that was created for the film version of Asano Inio’s manga.

For a more accurate response, I have to go with JILUKA’s cover (of a song that’s already a cover) of USA.

4 Likes

One of my favorite is AvelCain - Otogi Ichiya (御伽一夜), cover this amazing song by Puppet Mammy

3 Likes
5 Likes

I forgot to add this to my original post, but I also just remembered that D=OUT also did a cover of the song, Koi no Bakansu, which was originally sung by the peanuts. I think it’s a nice rendition.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a MV for the original song, so it’s just the track~

Edit: Also wanted to add the song by Wagakki Band, Senbonzakura, which I believe was originally a Vocaloid song.

6 Likes

I like this!

14 Likes

Wagakki Band was originally just a vocaloid cover band to begin with, so they have a lot to be posted here.

2 Likes